“Average airline”
Review of Gulf Air

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Gulf Air is an average airline with mostly ageing planes together with a few new ones. Sometimes the food is mediocre to poor (undercooked). If you are lucky you will get good service in a clean and new plane. But you have to be wary of poor service and old planes on some legs of your journey. The old planes come with uncomfortable or broken seats, average food and very bad customer service!

3  Thank One_Bangali

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Very Small Airport but high traffic and transit passengers
nice coverage to India Pakistan and Bangladesh

1  Thank Imran T
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I booked a business class seat from Heathrow to Manilia with a 2 hour stop in Bahrain. First flight was great, rather empty. Only bad points was the entertainment was rather old no recent films.

2nd flight was probably one of the worst business class seats and service I’ve ever had! My seat was broken so while I could not make use of the seat a the crew moved me but was not my chosen seat! They then handed out small screens to watch films on but they all very out dated and the battery died after 2 hours. I requested a special meal, both where undercooked.

The best part of the booking was the lounges.

I’d likely never fly gulf again.

1  Thank Jay F
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Took the short flight from Bahrain across to KSA. First time on Gulf Air and even though it is only a 35 minute flight they still came round with snacks and free water!

Would be happy to fly with them again some time

1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We live in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, but Gulf Air out of Bahrain was the only direct flight option to Bangkok, so we took it. I enjoyed flying out of Bahrain, but Gulf Air was a mixed bag.

THE GOOD

Good customer service - I called ahead to verify our reservation (made by my husband's work travel agency) and their English was very good and they were friendly and helpful

Checkin - Checkin was fast and easy on both ends

Bangkok Staff - SO helpful. Our flight from Koh Samui on another airline was pushed back one hour, and we were cutting it close to get to our flight home. The Gulf Air staff in Bangkok was so patient with us and super helpful.

Good for traveling with kids - they give priority to those traveling with kids and have a great air nanny who brings goodie bags for the kids (coloring books, plane toy, little backpacks). She even took our toddler for a little bit on our return flight to give us a break.

The blankets - I know this is a small thing but they are thicker than normal!

THE BAD

The in-flight crew -
The only great person in the in-flight crew was the air nanny. The rest of the staff seemed disgruntled and it was super un-organized, both ways. For instance, when they were passing out snacks, my husband got completely overlooked somehow and we had to go to the back of the plane to request snacks for him. The meal service was VERY unorganized. Normally, both meal carts are at similar places on the plane during the meal service. Not so here. Which is frustrating to the side of the plane that is waiting. I had my son's meal on my tray, and I was feeding him during the adult meal service. The child's meal is in a decorated box, so it's easy to tell the difference between it and an adult meal, but I was still passed over for an adult meal for some reason. They didn't even ask me if I wanted one, they just moved on, and I was too distracted by feeding my son to notice until it was too late. My husband had to hunt one down for me.

End of flight procedures - my normal experience at the end of a flight is that they'll take up headphones if you aren't using them towards the end of the flight. This time, they were very stern about taking these up, and they also took up blankets. Their instance is so extreme that a friend of mine on our flight was asked to take the blanket off her sleeping child to turn in. She obviously said no, and they seemed very disgruntled by that.

Seat policy - since we have a toddler, getting seats with the family together is a MUST. Most airlines we fly offer free seat selection, with the exception of premium rows. So it's easy for me to book us in connecting seats in advance. Not so with Gulf Air. It was going to cost us around $250 (USD) to select seats in advance for our flights. Luckily, we passed on this. It was easy to get seats together by checking in online for our flight, but this policy is ridiculous to me.

I remember the food being mediocre. Certainly not anywhere near the best airline food I have had. Definitely on the bad end. But I don't call any airline food "good."

TIPS
Checkin online as soon as your are able - you can choose your seats for free this way

I would probably fly again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

1  Thank Jennifer H