“Best domestic North American airline”
Review of Alaska Airlines

Reviewed 17 December 2017

I have been flying Alaska Airlines for the past 10 years, hands down the best domestic North American airline. Delta is close behind, United, American, SouthWest have nothing on AS in my opinion. Most recently changed from home airport in Milwaukee to O'Hare due to proximity and number of flights available. MKE and AS are more recent, great flights on E175 (2x2) aircraft. MKE-SEA is year round once a day, PDX added last year as seasonal only.

This past week ORD-SEA aboard 737-9 both ways in economy. Outbound I opted for $49 extra to sit in E+, very comfortable and spacious. The 6AM flight on Monday was half full, entire rows were empty. Overheard a FA say this was the emptiest flight she'd seen from ORD but it's also in that holiday break period. Normally E+ includes a free alcoholic beverage, at 6AM thought not a wise idea. The new overhead bins allow for greater storage but still no issue due to capacity on this flight. Return flight on redeye was also half capacity. I had booked E+ two days prior but day of flight I was unable to check-in. I later learned the 737-9 on this route did not have E+ seating except emergency exit rows. Not a major issue, but would have been nice to know ahead of time despite being allowed to book E+ on seatmap 24 hours prior.

Do Not book a middle seat on the 737-9. The middle seat has the IFE box at it's feet, removing some space. Aisle seat unfortunately loses a small portion of foot space to this as well, but IMO not a major issue.

Customer service at Alaska Airlines has always been a strong point. Baggage guaranteed within 20 minutes or free miles offered, just another reason why I love Alaska. This is not a budget airline, but it does pale in size compared to the big 3. I don't mind the Q400's when visiting family in Lewiston-Clarkston or Pasco, but maybe that's the plane enthusiast in me too. Would recommend Alaska Airlines particularly if your travels involve the west coast and smaller markets like Walla Walla, Spokane, Boise, etc..

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (8,711)

Reviewed 16 December 2017

Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Kona is a great non-stop fight. The service is always with a smile and they make a long flight pleasant. I would prefer a wide-body aircraft but the excellent 737s are plenty smooth. Not much need for a window seat here so I prefer an isle. I usually like to upgrade for more legroom but I couldn't this flight. Beware the Gogo internet will not work over the ocean so don't waste your money like I foolishly did.

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Easy check in at 7am. Boeing 737-900 seats are 3x3 in economy so a little tight. But surprisingly it was comfortable.
In flight entertainment is available but you have to 1st download the gogo entertainment app before you take off. Its free and works in conjunction with the planes WiFi. Streams movies, and TV to your phone or tablet.
Food is avaiable but you need to pay for it. Shouldn't cost you more than $10 USD for a meal.
Staff friendly and efficient.
Paid alot more and got alot less!
Recommend.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

Our flight was delayed 4 hours out of Calgary, the check in staff were very busy trying to get new flight connections for passengers. We missed our connection to Australia but Alaska Airlines looked after us and accommodated us in Seattle airport at a lovely hotel and rebooked us for the next day. Have flown with Alaska several times and they have been good to fly with.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

Alaska Airlines consistently offers good service at competitive prices. Their frequent-flier program is one of the best in the nation.