“Great customer service”
Review of Alitalia

Reviewed 12 May 2019 via mobile

We were supposed to fly to Palermo but we had to cancel due to a sever illness of my mother-in-law. Even if we were flying economy and they were not obliged, Alitalia fully refunded us. Great customer service!

1  Thank MatildeP1987
Write a reviewReviews (20,157)

Reviewed 12 May 2019

I was supposed to fly from Abu Dhabi and booked through Alitalia with a stopover in Rome. The first leg was with Emirates and secon with Delta. When checking-in, I was told that I cannot check in any bags (despite the ticket saying 2 check-ins) because apparently Alitalia would not be able to transfer the checked baggage from Emirates to Delta. I would need to go through immigration and re-check my bags in Rome and I didn’t have the schengen visa because I was just transiting like the dozens of other times I have transited through Europe and never have i faced such an issue! I wasn’t even given a boarding pass from emirates because they have no authority to give me a pass for the delta part of the journey! I have no idea how Alitalia could give a single ticket for two airlines that have no relationship and customer service was beyond rude and useless!!! In other words, they sold me a ticket as single ticket even though it’s technically two separate tickets!
Note: there was another passenger who booked the same route but through delta and delta shipped the luggage for free the next day for the error! Alitalia just didn’t want to fix the error let alone accept that they screwed up!!! Here I am stuck without any luggage and trying to figure out how to ship them home! They are a bunch of scamsters selling tickets that they should not be!

Reviewed 11 May 2019 via mobile

I flew Alitalia long-haul for the first time, having booked a very cheap (below 500$) economy class return flight from Geneva to Johannesburg. Immediately after booking I received a mail from Alitalia offering me the chance to bid for an Upgrade, which I did, bidding 350 Euro for an upgrade in the Rome to Johannesburg sector. About 2 days before the departure I got a mail telling me my bid was successful and I had been upgraded to business class. Overall the onboard experience is nowhere close to the top-end business class products available, with some of the small touches missing (bathrooms without any luxuries, no snacks available over-night, in flight entertainment OK but not special etc). The seat did however lie flat and the food was excellent...and frankly it was an absolute bargain for the total price I paid for the trip. The Alitalia business class lounge at E-gates in Rome is truly world class, with one of the best buffets of any lounge in the world (almost as good as the Emirates lounges in Dubai). There was an endless supply of fresh, hot pizza coming straight out of the pizza oven.....amazing and delicious. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by Alitalia and I will be very happy to travel and transit through Rome with them again.

• In-flight Entertainment
71  Thank aubergine_man
Reviewed 10 May 2019 via mobile

Arrived at Alitalia gate in Rome and was told I had no ticket in spite of having invoice showing one. Missed flight. They then said I was a no-show and had to buy another ticket for later flight. Luggage didn’t arrive despite 9 hour wait in Rome. In 3 days they “found” luggage but never delivered. I leave tomorrow for Geneva. Have no idea where luggage will be. Last trip with Alitalia flight was late and luggage took 2 days. Worst airline ever.

• In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank sherryk216
Reviewed 10 May 2019

Instead of waiting in line to take off, we were wheels up 6 minutes after scheduled departure time . . .and landed an hour early. The cabin attendants were attentive and the meal service was excellent. Not "excellent for airline food" but truly an enjoyable meal.
What's the negative? The A330 is a truly second rate plane . . .and that's what Alitalia uses on this route.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.