“Very difficult to deal with, lots of hidden charges.”
Review of Alitalia

Reviewed 13 May 2019

I'm flying to Brindisi with Al Italia in a few days time. When adding the API data I noticed that my name was incorrect, the short form was used rather than the full name. I called to ask to have this changed and had to pay £25 for the privilege and was told that they hoped they could do it in time. The woman on the phone was quite rude in her manner and made me feel like a fool.

I also paid extra to book seats but the seats were only booked on one leg of my two leg flight.

The preflight experience has been really poor and I am certainly not looking forward to flying with them.

2  Thank Jan S
Write a reviewReviews (20,157)

Reviewed 13 May 2019

Alitalia started to fly from SA again last year. Were cheap flights to Europe
Overall we had a good flight. Food is not so great and no hard liquor.
Leg space not too bad.

• Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
3  Thank DOREEN S
Reviewed 12 May 2019 via mobile

We were supposed to fly to Palermo but we had to cancel due to a sever illness of my mother-in-law. Even if we were flying economy and they were not obliged, Alitalia fully refunded us. Great customer service!

1  Thank MatildeP1987
Reviewed 12 May 2019

I was supposed to fly from Abu Dhabi and booked through Alitalia with a stopover in Rome. The first leg was with Emirates and secon with Delta. When checking-in, I was told that I cannot check in any bags (despite the ticket saying 2 check-ins) because apparently Alitalia would not be able to transfer the checked baggage from Emirates to Delta. I would need to go through immigration and re-check my bags in Rome and I didn’t have the schengen visa because I was just transiting like the dozens of other times I have transited through Europe and never have i faced such an issue! I wasn’t even given a boarding pass from emirates because they have no authority to give me a pass for the delta part of the journey! I have no idea how Alitalia could give a single ticket for two airlines that have no relationship and customer service was beyond rude and useless!!! In other words, they sold me a ticket as single ticket even though it’s technically two separate tickets!
Note: there was another passenger who booked the same route but through delta and delta shipped the luggage for free the next day for the error! Alitalia just didn’t want to fix the error let alone accept that they screwed up!!! Here I am stuck without any luggage and trying to figure out how to ship them home! They are a bunch of scamsters selling tickets that they should not be!

Reviewed 11 May 2019 via mobile

I flew Alitalia long-haul for the first time, having booked a very cheap (below 500$) economy class return flight from Geneva to Johannesburg. Immediately after booking I received a mail from Alitalia offering me the chance to bid for an Upgrade, which I did, bidding 350 Euro for an upgrade in the Rome to Johannesburg sector. About 2 days before the departure I got a mail telling me my bid was successful and I had been upgraded to business class. Overall the onboard experience is nowhere close to the top-end business class products available, with some of the small touches missing (bathrooms without any luxuries, no snacks available over-night, in flight entertainment OK but not special etc). The seat did however lie flat and the food was excellent...and frankly it was an absolute bargain for the total price I paid for the trip. The Alitalia business class lounge at E-gates in Rome is truly world class, with one of the best buffets of any lounge in the world (almost as good as the Emirates lounges in Dubai). There was an endless supply of fresh, hot pizza coming straight out of the pizza oven.....amazing and delicious. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by Alitalia and I will be very happy to travel and transit through Rome with them again.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
71  Thank aubergine_man
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.