“EXCELLENT RESERVATIONS STAFF; POOR PERFORMANCE”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 26 September 2017

American Airlines amended most of our flights before we left Auckland. Due to pulling out of the Los Angeles to Auckland route for a period, we were rescheduled via Sydney adding roughly 7 hours to an already long journey.

Outbound there was a 4 hour delay sitting on the tarmac at Auckland Airport. Next morning we were travelling via Phoenix to Des Moines. An AA staff member didn't know what 'Interlining of baggage' meant; the kiosk check in machine broke down,and then at the Boarding Gate, the AA Staff member rudely and without explanation changed our seats and gave them to stand by passengers. He refused to listen to our objections of his uncalled for actions.. These seats had been preassigned to us for a number of reasons. Sadly, the actions of both staff at Los Angeles were typical of other AA ground staff we encountered- other than those at Des Moines who were outstanding.

On the credit side, AA are well served by excellent Reservations staff whose PR skills are excellent Perhaps Ground Staff could take a page or two from Reservations Manuals section covering Customer Service

david r, auckland, NZ

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (27,192)

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

I flew. from NYC out west today on American Airlines. First step in my most educational time with them was to check my luggage. At American, passengers are being force-trained to do this themselves now. Several AA employees, - trainers, I guess you would call them, were there to make sure we did it ourselves - I suppose it is labor intensive to train mere passengers to do the work of the airline employees, because there sure were a lot of them. Just standing there. Watching us flounder. At first I was put off but then I got it. American is very committed to getting their passengers in shape. Passenger self-sufficiency, that's the key! I felt a little bad when my machine ran out of tag-making tape. I had to ask one of those AA trainers to fix the problem - a brief lapse into the old model of customer service I'm afraid, but she didn't seem to hold it against me. How patient those trainers are!

At our gate flight desk, more AA employees were there to make sure that no carryon baggage exceeded the size limit -at all- not even the wheels. Wow! Had we ever been lacking precision as passengers before. Who knew! No matter! American has fixed that! Those violater- carryons were designated for checked baggage right away. Those flight desk clerks were also on hand to repeatedly remind us that we could only have two carryons: one under the seat and one in the overhead bin. You got to hand it to AA. They sure are trend setters when it comes to keeping passengers from overstepping their bounds! (And, AND, see what happens when you repeat something to adult learners 20 or 30 times in about five minutes? We remember!)

In spite of their very thorough drilling to make sure we towed the line, some problems persisted. Some passengers who hadn't gotten the message about following instructions and shaping up were lining up before their boarding group was called. But those AA employees were right on top of it! Soon they were drilling us in ONLY lining up when our boarding group number was called. Not ahead. It creates problems and AA doesn't need passengers creating any problems.

I think this is because they have enough of their own problems without our help. For instance, while standing waiting to board, group one, having been relieved of any slightly oversized carryons, was ready to board, but they could not do so. Why? AA was quick with an explanation. There were not enough flight attendants here yet and Regulations require a certain ratio of attendants to passengers before passengers can board. Was a flight attendant late? Could be, and those gate clerks used that opportunity to educate everyone about how other American Airline employees were coming up short. They really think on their feet!

I sense getting the right carryons in the plane cabin or checked is something AA takes very seriously, yet also presents challenges to them. But I give them credit. They are determined to get it right no matter what it takes. I mean, there they were today, on the ramp, ordering boarding passengers out of the way as they themselves hauled on luggage that they had previously confiscated from passengers. "All passengers move to the left" one employee commanded. They put a lot into this! It was a sight to behold!

Yes it is a sight to behold, American Airline's commitment to shaping up passengers - preparing them to be good passengers for their airline. It's a very ambitious aim - turning us into cargo that make life easier for them. But they are so committed! I have seen them in action today, and I know they are serious. Other airlines have hinted at such a revolutionary business model, but none have taken it on with the boldness of American!

Now that all those passengers-with-the-wrong-bags issues are solved, we are in the air. I see that over an hour into the flight first class passengers have been served their first drink (slowly paced - there is no need to provide services promptly any longer) and the attendants are toying with the idea of offering us coach passengers some beverages and the opportunity to buy snacks. I daydream about what that will be. On my flight out last week my request for water produced a cup of room temperature water three quarters full. I got to sit with the trash for a few hours after too. I wait with anticipation for today. How will they lower my expectations of service? Perhaps for beverage service today they might use those small paper cups that sit on top of water dispensers in offices. I am a little excited that I am getting with the program. I take a deep breath and daydream about my last visit to the DMV. For surely there is no better system as model for AA's bold new initiative than the venerable Department of Motor Vehicles! I wonder if American has been consulting with them? I may offer it as a suggestion if they ask for my feedback about my flight today. Oh wait! Silly me - rating service is a remnant from the old passenger-as-customer model. But perhaps what I will receive is an evaluation on my performance as good cargo. Right. Of course. My American Airline trainers would be so disappointed in me for my lapse! Perhaps they will dock me one carryon on my next flight with them. I suppose I deserve it.

(Special note to American Airline employees who may wonder why my numeric rating is low when the tone of my review is complementary: This is satire. You can look it up.)

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Over all not bad considering there was a Hurricane warning
our first flight was cancelled on Saturday and rebooked for the following Monday to Nassau
So once we got to the airport and checked our bags and sat around for 2 hours AA called out my name I went to the counter and was informed that there was a possible 90% chance my connecting flight might be cancelled and when I asked why she told me Nassau air port might be closed ??? I had to inform her that in fact that Nassau airport was opened since Sunday

they need to inform them selves better before freeking out there customers

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Had a crazy long wait to check in to my flight from Lima. There were two flights checking in at the same time, and it appeared that the airline had not planned accordingly - too few check in staff. During the flight from Lima to Dallas (6 3/4 hrs) the fasten seatbelt was not turned off at all, from takeoff to landing. I will likely avoid this airline in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Aside from flight attendants, the staff is totally apathetic. Check in/gate agents could not care less about you or the fact that you are a paying customer. I will never fly this airline again.

2  Thank Mary C