“Cleanliness lacking; Inflight wifi and entertainment poor”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 12 April 2020

I booked roundtrip tickets from Philadelphia to Waco, Texas, using frquent flyer miles. I was saving the miles for a different location but the amount of miles needed to redeem for that trip would have been so high for an 11 hour flight or I could have used less miles and taken 27 hours to get there instead of 11 hours. Therefore, I booked that trip with frquent flyer miles from a competitor airline, using the minimum number of frequent flyer miles and minimum amount of travel time. Once my America Airlines frequent flyer miles are all redeemed, I do not plan on using American Airlines again.
This trip was taken 2/29/20 to 3/3/20, prior to a severe coronavirus outbreak in the US. I was very bothered by the cleanliness of the aircraft. Initially when I sat in my seat, I noticed a used napkin in the seatback in front of me. I wondered how well the plane was cleaned inside, such as emptying seatback pockets, wiping down tray tables, armrests, seats, and headrests. This should always be done, especially when coronavirus was starting to affect the US.
The wifi and inflight entertainment was aweful. Since inflight movies were not accessible, Frozen II was shown in the cabin. I wanted to access wifi, even if I had to purchase it. Wifi connection was unavailable. I didn't bring things to do on the plane since I thought I could select a movie to watch or use wifi. The unavailability of both made my flights seem very long. I am very used to 11 hour flights since I have flown to Hawaii from Newark, New Jersey 17 times. However, having inflight wifi, movies and entertainment can make an 11 hour flight not seem long at all. American's lack of functioning inflight wifi and entertainment made a short trip from Philadelphia to Dallas seem extremely long. American Airlines needs to improve greatly to have customers fly their airline again.

1  Thank Wendy R
Write a reviewReviews (71,870)

Reviewed 11 April 2020

I purchased my ticket from Travelocity which messed my tickets up with the Covid going around so many flights were changed without my knowledge or last min changes that don’t relay to the airlines . With that being said I got to the airport about 30 min before my flight was supposed to board and unaware they were about to cut off checked bags. I get to the counter to check in and Victoria an American Airlines employee said I was too late and was supposed to be there an hour before my flight. She was speaking to me in a very nasty and mean manner which I am in front of My 4 year old child so I’m trying to remain calm. As I’m trying to remain calm because at this point she can’t find my ticket because of Travelocity mishap, Victoria the American Airlines employee then asked me why am I even late because there is no traffic so there should be no reason I’m late. I don’t know this lady so I’m appalled that she even felt comfortable talking to me like that and even after I traveled an hour and a half to get to the airport from Fayetteville. I then asked for her supervisor and she was pointing behind me where there was no one in sight and I told her no one was behind me and she was still being rude saying well my supervisor is right there I can go get her or if I’m ready I can let her find my ticket and if I want to proceed she would need my I’d. So I took out my I’d to hand to her and she looked at me and told me to put it down instead of me handing it to her. So at that point I’m still asking for a supervisor that I did not get. Victoria then asked the other employee Scott to finish me off and she walked away instead of getting the supervisor I asked for. I told her I was going to share a review and she just kept saying go right ahead go right ahead. How rude and having my child with me going through that with Victoria was very embarrassing and unprofessional. However Scott from Pittsburgh was a great employee and he took the time out to explain the situation and what he could do to fix the situation at hand!! Thanks Scott! Also when I found out I could not get on my scheduled flight I called my ride who parked outside the doors and came in to help with my child and while doing so she came out to find a ticket on her car which was right outside the ticket counter so she was concerned about the ticket when all she did was come in to grab my child while I was checking in my luggage in and back the rental cops outside were very rude and calling her names like stupid and retarded all the while the police officers were allowing the rental cops to speak to us like that. Just a very unprofessional experience that I had.

Date of travel: April 2020
Reviewed 11 April 2020

Last month at the airport, tensions were noticeably high as we waited for our flight due to the coronavirus pandemic. Once we boarded the airplane, a young boy sitting directly behind me was coughing non-stop. This was concerning me so I quietly found something to cover my face. When the child's father saw I had done this, it upset him so he began antagonizing me by fake coughing. After this went on for a while, I stepped to the back to speak with a flight attendant and request that I be moved to a different seat. She was helpful and used her seating chart to locate an alternate spot for me. As she led me to my new seat, another flight attendant came from the front, visibly angry and stopped us from proceeding. She began pointing her finger at me and yelling. She forbade me to sit there and became more aggravated when I asked that she stop shaking her finger in my face and yelling at me. At one point, she went to the boy's father and he lied. He told her he was about to offer me a mask. We never had any proof that he had any masks and he and his son were not using masks themselves. Her temper continued to escalate when I asked her for her name and she pushed her nametag towards my face and told me it was Jennifer. Her anger towards me caused her to yell at other passengers. In the midst of all of this, another flight attendant suggested that Jennifer contact the captain to resolve the issue because she kept yelling and was acting unprofessional. But Jennifer went to a phone in the front and called the police. She slammed down the phone and continued to hit things the whole time. When the police arrived, Jennifer was shaking in anger and shook the door trying to open it for them. They escorted me and my sister off the plane and forced us to take a later flight. Despite our attempts to get American airlines to cover our hotel, they were unwilling to do so.

All attempts to contact the airline and voice my dissatisfaction with the staff's lack of concern for their passengers' health or the way I was treated by Jennifer have been met with resistance. They continue to show no interest in rectifying the situation. I have never experienced such treatment from any airline before and will avoid flying American ever again after this experience.

2  Thank Sprsus
Reviewed 10 April 2020

God Bless Mrs. Cook! (American Airlines)

In mid-March, my wife and I were on week three vacationing in New Zealand when we received an e-mail from American Airlines that our return flight had been canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic global crises. The airlines indicated they did not have another flight and provided us with a number to call. We telephoned the 800 number and to our surprise it was answered in short time by Mrs. Cook. She explained she was a rep for American Airlines working out of her home in South Carolina. She understood our predicament and stated she would do her best to get us a return flight. She kept us on hold and checked back every couple of minutes as she navigated several contacts to various “help desk” and other agencies to search for a flight. We used Alaska Air miles to make our original purchase which also complicated matters. Mrs. Cook was successful in getting us a return flight on Qantas Air out of Sydney, Australia. She made all the connecting flight arrangements and provided us with all the information to accommodate the journey. This became very important as Qantas had no offices in New Zealand and a five hour wait on the telephone. The airports in new Zealand and Sydney were bursting at the seams with stranded Americans and Canadians trying to return to their homeland. We cannot say enough good things about the pleasant and professional service we received from Mrs. Cook, American Airlines. We arrived back to our home well aware there were many folks not so fortunate.
God Bless Mrs. Cook!
Walt805

2  Thank Walt805
Reviewed 10 April 2020

After calling AA customer service I was advised by supervisor Tatiana
(she was very helpful) to send a formal email about my complaint
regarding my trip from JFK to Madrid; Nov 13 - 19, 2019. I spoke with
Tatiana on November 20, 2019 at approximately 4 pm est.

I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with my experience with
American Airlines. This is not my first problem or complaint but it is
my last straw. For the cost of the flight and additional fees, it
would have made more sense to pay that amount for a better airline.
The airplane was very tight and uncomfortable, especially for
traveling overseas. The air was also not on and somewhat stuffy. There were a few incidents during that flight that made the entire ride very uncomfortable and nerve-racking. The first incident was a woman feeling hot and dizzy and
throwing up. I moved my seat, to then have another woman feel sick and
dizzy and pass out. She ended up falling face first into the wall and
then fell on my feet. Additionally, another woman was in the bathroom
for approximately 2 hours throwing up. All of these women were older
and a few passengers were complaining it was too hot (which may be why
they were not feeling well on top of being in a small space - the two
don't mix well). As you can imagine, the entire flight was extremely
uncomfortable with all factors combined. I already have an extreme
anxiety with flying and was using so much energy to keep myself calm
(had trouble breathing and not feeling sick myself). Adding all that
chaos was not helpful. The flight on the way back was also
uncomfortable as the space, again is very claustrophobic and this
flight was an additional 2 hours flying time.

Overall, I have had nothing but bad experiences with American Airlines
and am requesting a refund for this trip. What made this matter worse is that one of the customer services representatives I spoke with said they had no documentation of these incidents - which is a problem in itself. Either he was uninformed and someone dropped the ball, or he was lying to me. Either way, every single experience is bad in some way whether it be at the gates and/or in the air and I still was denied a refund. I didn't even request a full refund, just for the flight and not including the extra fees. Definitely not worth the stress or money.

Date of travel: November 2019
1  Thank stitch1967
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.