“COVID negative nightmare”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 12 January 2021

On February 3, 2020, I booked a trip through Expedia to Oahu, Hawaii for Christmas vacation. In March, COVID happens and everything shuts down.  I don’t cancel the trip because it was my understanding travel would be allowed contingent on being able to produce medically certified negative COVID test. My husband and I responsibly cautious and use N95 masks and face shields for traveling. Along with hand sanitizer and wipes.  A few weeks prior to departure, I decided to surprise my husband and called American Airline and upgraded our seats to first-class for the trip.  At no time prior or at this point, were we informed of Hawaii’s strict COVID testing regulations. Not informing us of this critical information effectively undermine the entire trip and we were unable to vacation. The strict conditions Hawaii requires for testing should have been communicated to us, your customers, as soon as these requirements took effect.  It is reasonable to expect this would have been communicated by Expedia or airline, as the omission of it effects the whole travel experience, if just for the sake of good customer service. Our experience was so utterly disappointing, and could have been avoided. I felt compelled to write this letter and describe, our experience and request you provide a way to rectify the situation and make us whole.

My husband, Michael and myself left Baltimore-Washington International Airport on AA that left Friday morning at 6 am on December 18, 2020.  The AA attendant at the First-Class desk verified our negative COVID test results and we boarded the plane.  We connected through Chicago’s O’Hare on.  We landed in Honolulu, HI shortly after 3pm Hawaii time and we were herded through the airport to a screening location where we were asked for our COVID test results.  I handed it to the attendant who immediately stated “That is not from a Trusted Partner” and returned the documents to us.  He never looked at the negative results or that the company was a nationwide, reputable company.  He then told us that we had to quarantine at our hotel for the length of 10 days.  I stated that our vacation was only 9 days and that our test results were negative and the company is reputable.  His response was, “Well you could go home!”  This caused me to burst into tears and made my husband very angry.  We asked if we could test in Hawaii the answer was NO.  The attendant called the hotel and informed them that we were under quarantine and if we leave our rooms we are to be reported.  He asked for our cell numbers and then called them to verify we didn’t lie.  My husband asked how are we supposed to get to the hotel since you refuse to let us obtain a car rental.  He responded, taxi or Uber.  That is safe how?

My husband and I decided to return home, we never left the airport.  We called American Airlines, explained what happened and requested a flight out for that day.  Our flight didn’t leave until 10:50pm and everything at the airport was closed.  We had nothing to eat or drink from the time we landed.  When we boarded for our flight, I discovered we would not be served a meal because they expected that we would go straight to sleep.  I cried myself to sleep from frustration, hunger and exhaustion.

I called several weeks prior to the trip to upgrade us to First class going and returning.  Sadly, we did not have the accommodation I had paid.  The connecting flight from Los Angeles to Miami was Business Economy (AA 369) and from Miami to Baltimore (AA 696) was Economy.  We even had to pay an extra $314.80 to leave on December 18, 2020.  We spent more than 40 hours either in the air or in an airport and we never got to have our vacation.  We arrived home Sunday morning almost 2 am.

My husband and I saved up for this trip and we are now out $4,300 in airfare.  We can’t afford to schedule another trip because that money is gone.  I don’t understand why we did not receive an email from American Airlines explaining the strict regulations Hawaii has in place.  You must know them your pilots and flight attendants travel there daily.  I also called AA directly to upgrade to First-class and again nothing was mentioned.  I signed up for your American Aviator card thinking I would receive special benefits.  So far, speaking to your customer service staff everybody is very sorry but nobody wants to do anything to help us recoup this $4300 loss.

Our Christmas was ruined!  All my Christmas surprises for my husband are shattered.  Expedia states this is an American Airline issue and American Airline states that since we went through a third party the max we can get is $250 in vouchers

Date of travel: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (71,870)

Reviewed 12 January 2021

Horrible horrible customer service.
Flight was directed to Des Moines instead of CID due to fog . After landing in Des Moines, we are given two option 1) Stay in the same flight and go back to Dallas 2) Get off the plane and find own way to reach to CID.
I talked with two air hostess to find out if I go back to Dalls, is there any availbality in next flight from DFW to CID. No one answered anything. No one even bothered to find out.
Aftyer 15-20 min, one crew member came in and shouted that if you want to get off the plane, get off now otherwise the door is closing. I asked them again that I am willing to go back to DFW if you give me information on next available flight to come back to CID. One airhostess told me to go to front desk (where boarding starts usually) and talk to AA agent. I went there and talked to her, she said you already got off the plane, so only option is to find your own transportation to CID. She had no mercy in her words and spoke with attitude. No sorry no apologies from her side.
I had to get rented car in order to reach CID. Car cost me about 200$ as it was same day booking and lack of other options.

• Seat comfort
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank hariyali
Reviewed 12 January 2021

First, let me start this off by saying, in the past, I typically did choose American Airlines whenever possible, now, moving on, I will NOT be choosing AA. I ordered tickets for a wedding that was to occur on January 2nd, and my flight was supposed to be December 26th. On December 21st, I woke up with chills and couldn't taste my food all that well. I decided to get a rapid covid-19 test and it came back positive. That being said, I've heard of people still travelling and getting sued, and the CDC, as well as the Department of Transportation tells us NOT to travel with Covid-19.

The very same day I received my results, I cancelled my flight, giving AA 5 days to rebook the flight if necessary. I then requested a refund through the website, and provided proof of my positive result. Although it was the cheaper ticket, which is apparently non-refundable, refunds are available (supposedly) due to medical reasons. I received notice that the refund was not going to be unavailable. I called, to which I ended up talking to someone in reservations. They advised me they could not help me and told me to contact customer service through the website or through 'snail mail', as she referred to it as, I let her know I wanted to actually TALK to someone, not go back and forth through e-mails, or wait on the post. She told me that simply wasn't possible. I asked for a copy of the recording, which she told me, I was unable to receive... even though I'm a part of that conversation and was not told I was being recorded, I just assumed it.

So anyways, I got Covid-19, suffered through my symptoms which got much worse, missed my cousin's once-in-a-lifetime, small and intimate wedding (if she ever got divorced, there would be no other), missed new years with my family up North, didn't get to see my Grandmother for her birthday and now, even though I'm financially damaged from Covid-19, American Airlines chooses to add to the insult and the damages to me, by withholding money from me, close to 400$, that they technically haven't earned and technically haven't provided a service for me. They are causing me more undue stress and lost sleep because of the worry of what to do now, and just feels so unfair. This is very greedy of a company to do, considering I gave notice ASAP, and their guidelines wouldn't have allowed me to fly with them Covid-positive anyways.

Take this as you will, but be wary -- and make sure to give into the greed of spending extra money on 'refundable' ticket should you choose to fly American Airlines, because their greed knows no sympathy, and no exception and should something far out of your control occur... you'll just be S-O-L.

Date of travel: December 2020
Reviewed 11 January 2021

2 months after making our flight reservations American Airlines unilaterally changed both our flight to Maui as well as our flight home. They changed our departure so that we had to leave 5 hours earlier. I am a surgeon so I had to reschedule numerous surgeries because of the departure change. That was bad enough but they also changed my return flight so that my family of 6 have to leave the day earlier than planned. Therefore we paid for our condo for a night we will not use as well as our rental car. Then we have to spend an 8 hour layover at LAX after a red eye flight from Maui. Their customer disservice department solution to all this is to patronizes us with a $50 voucher to use with their airline by the end of the year. Really? As if I would ever fly with them again and risk them doing the same thing again. WORST FLYING EXPERIENCE in my 40 years of flying.

Reviewed 11 January 2021

We were scheduled to fly from Dallas to Kansas City at 2:55 pm on January the 10th. Our flight was cancelled at 9:21 am while we were on another flight due to ‘weather’. It was raining, so we were rescheduled for the 11th at 4:45am. No offer of a hotel or anything. We decided to wait at the airport because there was a chance to get on a flight at 8:40pm. While waiting, our takeoff time came and planes were taking off left and right. It was raining a little, but obviously planes could still take off. In my opinion it was terrible to not offer a hotel, food, something to compensate for the flight. And for other flights to be taking off when ours was supposed to was not okay. Needless to say it was a very stressful, frustrating day. We will not be flying American Airlines again.

Date of travel: January 2021
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.