“Steerage ”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Traveling Economy with B A is certainly a no frills option. The in-flight service is just about adequate. The food was just about edible. The coffee was undrinkable!

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (38,044)

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We booked a 'holiday' via BA Holidays, this was to Los Angeles, taking the Grandkids for their first trip to the USA, the outbound flight from London was OK, everything we booked was handled correctly, in flight service OK, but nothing special, however the return trip (BA269 16/2) was a nightmare, one that we are still getting over 2 days later!
Trip booked in September 2017, seats booked and paid at the same time, contacted Disabilty section to request assistance, and email rec'd confirming, and confirming setaing, however when checking in on the return, was given boarding cards, person said you are behind each other is that OK, and I said that is what we had booked, front seats (bulkhead) and window / aisle one behind each other, she handed me the cards and they looked OK row numbers were consecutive, it was not until we had been in departures at the gate for about an hour, that I glanced at the numbers, and they did not seem right, spoke to the person at the gate, who said they were not window / aisle, but in the centre of the plane, and not at the front, but 3/4 of the way down the cabin, I pointed out that this was not right and explained what we had booked, and she simply said.. You will have to prove that ! the booking form I had did not give seat allocation, so tried to log on to the internet, but no signal ! as I could not 'prove' I had the wrong seats, I was dismissed and she went onto someone else saying nothing she could do turned out that we were put in the centre of the 3 seats and an aisle seat, but the person directly in fron of that seat reclined so far my wife was pinned down ! so moved to the middle, this proved no better as she could not move from this seat, the reclined seat stopped her getting out one way and a person asleep next to her stopped her getting out the other way, although he did have to move as she needed the loo at one point! although not happy about moving, the cabin crew were quite patronising, when we said no thankyou to dinner, gruffly said, well, there are no snacks you can have, there will be nothing until breakfast and moved on, as usual on arrival there was no assistance waiting, even though they knew 10 hours before ! and had to wait about 40 mins for someone to arrive, although not 100% B.A's fault it did not help, I could see the pain in my wife's face during the flight and drive home
.Feel well let down by B.A our so called National Carrier who we are supposed to be proud of ! This was our first Long Haul BA flight, and based on this trip our last :-(

1  Thank swills9
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Sadly this airline is becoming lower than the budget airlines for comfort and , the service the cabin crew are allowed to offer to passengers. The safety briefing which is now given to passengers is insulting, takes 5 minutes of absolute stupid chat by various actors. This should be a serious briefing with the emphasis on safety and what one should do in the event of an emergency. Also not everyone carries a debit or credit card, why can cash not be taken, anyway who wants to put the cost of a tea or co0ffee on a card. New boarding procedure is bad, I travelled and booked in with my partner and one of us had to board in grou4 the other in 5 , this is absolutely ridiculous, why is the airline making flying with them so difficult.

1  Thank inspector61
Reviewed 21 February 2018

We have normally travelled Business class and decided because of cost to try Premium Economy. The seats were comfortable and we did get some sleep. The flight was, we understand, BA`s longest single flight of around 14hrs. We found the flight was comfortable and we enjoyed the food. Cabin staff helpful and friendly so we can only say we had a good flight!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

After having our holiday cancelled twice due to the hurricanes last year (2017) we cannot fault the customer Service we experienced with BA holidays.However BA on the other hand and it’s service were appalling . Firstly we tried to pay for an upgrade and was told it was full. We arrived at the airport to discover the aircraft had technical problems , we were delayed for 2 hours to later find out the aircraft we were travelling on was one of their oldest in the fleet and was the one that blew an engine in Las Vegas last year.The aircraft either needed to be overhauled or scrapped.The interior was filthy , the overhead lockers were stained and the window seals mouldy.The seats were cramped with no legroom and the cushions all needed replacing ,(They even charged us to pre book these awful seats!)we were virtually sitting on the frame which gave us both back ache by the time we arrived over 8 hours later in Punta Cana.The inflight entertainment was out of date.The airlcraft was mostly full of staff passengers who were all happy to discuss with those around them how much they paid for their tickets and gathered in various groups around the plane during the journey .We later found out from one of the many staff members on board that this was why we as full fare paying passengers could not get an upgrade as that cabin was full of staff passengers on their confirmed free tickets.We found this information astounding that BA turned down revenue to accommodate their own staff on free tickets.Coupled with all of this in turn the cabin crew paid more attention to their fellow colleagues needs than that of anyone else.At one point I had my call button on for at least half an hour to ask them to turn up the heating (as the aircraft was very cold) and had no response, so wrapped myself up in a blanket like everyone else.The food was discusting , I opted for the pasta which was inedible, even the cabin crew agreed with me , it was stuck together in one gloopy lump and tasteless .The cabin crew were also letting young children run up and down the aisles .So to sum up we would never travel BA again certainly out of LGW unless there was no other option.We spent a considerable amount of money on this holiday, which got off to a really bad start .our saving grace was our faultless hotel , but sadly as our holiday drew to an end we knew we would have to suffer it all again! Appalling BA you
should be ashamed!!!!