“Our airline of choice over the Atlantic”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We have been using British Airways as our preferred company for travel to Europe and for over 5 years, a trip that we complete at least annually. Our general experience has been that they depart at or close to on time, have superior cabin service, and decent meals.
Generally their prices are very competitive.

Write a ReviewReviews (29,461)

First the warning.

If you fly through Seattle you have to clear both immigration and customs to catch the connecting Alaska flight.

At good times this is a pain but when this particular flight arrives it comes in with many other flights, particularly from Japan.

The immigration/passport control is ill equipped to handle the volume of passengers. We on this occasion had to join a queue to join the queue in the immigration hall. It took us just over 2 hours to clear and we missed our connecting flight just before Easter with no onward flight available till after the Easter weekend. We had to take the ferry.

What makes matters more frustrating and my real reason to say avoid is British Airways do not staff the airport at all to meet the arriving flight and the BA call center in the UK is closed so you're on your own. The Alaska Airline staff are very helpful but because the booking is on BA paper they have limited powers to rebook on other airlines so you can be stuck. In our case because of the Easter holiday we were stuffed and had to overnight and catch a ferry.

There are "Express Connection" tickets as we saw one passenger get shunted to the front of immigration but when we asked we were told not available and we had time. Not true in our case.

BA fail in this schedule in many ways:
1. Do now warn passengers of this regular bottle neck which is made worse if you are a visa entrant or first time ESTA user as they have seperate longer queues!

2. BA staff on the plane do not issue "Express Conection" cards on landing to passengers who have tight connections. I think that's where the one passenger we saw got his

3. BA di not allow enough connection time, In our case we had two and half hours and in our case we needed at east 3 hours as Alaska Airlines will not acceot your baggage if therenot at least one hour before depature.

1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 30 March 2018

My husband and I recently flew business class with BA to Rio, Brazil, with a return flight from Santiago, Chile.

What a huge disappointment. It felt like economy with room to lie down. I was situated in the middle seat and felt like I was in a coffin. If I wanted the loo I had to climb over the body of another passenger who was stretched out and asleep. There was no mattress, just a thin blanket. The toiletries were in a type of cheap pump bag.

The service wasn't any better than economy either.

We have previously flown business class with Emirates and there just isn't any comparison. Even business class with Jet Airlines to Delhi was far superior.

We would only ever fly with BA again if there was no other option. Definitely not by choice.

2  Thank MrsH53
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Over many years I have used numerous airline long and short haul. The worst has been BA. I can only assume that their main interest is in their First Class passengers as in both economy and premier economy the level of indifference by both ground and cabin staff is extraordinary. I have frequently been delayed and on this most recent flight we tried to check in on line and book seats but were not able to. On arrival we were told we had no seats and would be downgraded. Following lengthy discussions and seeking to speak to very senior staff we were eventually allocate seat in the class we had paid for. This had also happened on the flight out. I feel so very disappointed once again that an Airline who advertises itself as both a British flagship and as one focussed on customer service provided something that is so sub-optimal.

1  Thank amandacheesley
Reviewed 30 March 2018

What they don't tell you about flying to Funchal - flights are often cancelled due to highwinds and the runway being on stilts halfway up a steep hill from the sea. No flights got in on the two days before our trip, we did get in on time but it was a very bumpy and worrying approach to the runway. Coming back our flight was cancelled as the incoming flight could not land and had to divert to Faro. BA were very good and arranged accommodation and food at the nearby Riu Palace Madeira and laid on a coach to get us there.

We managed to get out the next day.

I'm very impressed with the way BA dealt with the situation. I'm not sure that I want to fly to Funchal again.