“Poor flight service never expected”
Review of Cathay Pacific

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Our family 3 pax selected Cathay Pacific cx470 from Hong Kong to Taipei (original time was 1745 on 29 March 2018) for Easter holiday, unfortunately, the flight delayed to 22:24 , there’s 4 hours and 39 mins delayed, no explanation, no help the customers. Finally, we arrived hotel at 03:30 am, lost holiday, lost money, after then that we all got sick, due to too tired

What type of service to customers ?
We will not suggest anyone to select Cathay Pacific anymore in the future.

Angry.....

2  Thank Wcmmsl
Write a ReviewReviews (10,017)

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I took CX690 from Singapore Changi Airport to Hong Kong and flew in economy. I arrived quite early at the airport as I was coming off a cruise that docked early in the morning. Cathay now uses the new Terminal 4 of Changi airport and it is indeed a stunningly beautiful and efficient airport. I prefer dealing with an actual person to check in as I have One World Alliance status and can use priority check in but actually almost everything at Terminal 4 is automated and you can easily go from check-in to boarding without dealing with an actual person since they have check in machines, luggage receiving machines, photo and finger print coded to your boarding pass, and even automated boarding gates. Check in was quite quick as a Cathay staff from another section came over to assist me when she saw me waiting while three other passengers in front of me took a long time at the priority check in counter.

Prior to boarding, I took a look at the many shops on the air side of the terminal and took some photos of the stunning beautiful new terminal. There is a section for traditional goods stores where the storefronts are decorated like a row of old Singaporean shops with the difference that the second storey is actually a giant video screen the periodically plays a traditional wedding story video. After shopping, I went up to the Cathay lounge which is the updated version with the noodle bar found in the newer Cathay lounges. There was a lot of food offerings in the noodle bar section and in an adjacent section with Western style food so one will be well-fed in the lounge. There was also lots of seating but during the busiest period about an hour before the flight, newcomers had a bit of trouble finding an open booth or table in the noodle bar section (though there were seats available but just at booths or tables that already have another guest there).

The flight was slightly delayed by about 10 minutes as the incoming flight was a bit late in arriving. Boarding was fairly efficient and as Cathay uses a priority boarding system that actually sub-divides the priority passengers into further distinct groups (ie. First Class, Cathy Diamond and One World Emerald, then another line for Business Class and other lower status tiers on Cathay and One World), I boarded very early and had lots of time to settle in and get my carry-on into the overhead bins.

The flight was operated using an Airbus 350 so I was happy that I would finally get a chance to try the A350 and compare it to the now familiar B787. The economy section had a 3x3x3 configuration and I sat in the aisle seat in the middle section. The flight was very full and every seat I could see was filled including, unfortunately, the middle seat next to me. Notwithstanding the fairly full flight, room in the seat during the 3 hour or so flight was not bad and line-ups for the washroom was never more than a couple of people at worst. The entertainment system is different from the one Cathay uses on the B777 that I am used to. It was still touch screen and video on demand, but instead of a fast forward button, you touch the point on the line showing the full length of the movie and it jumps to that point so you cannot use fast forward to scan a part of the movie quickly as you could on the B777 system. The washroom is also different and I must strongly side with the Boeing design over the Airbus design in terms of ease of use and comfort.

Lunch was served on the flight and I had a rice with chicken dish that tasted like a mild curry. As with almost all Cathay food offerings, it was quite good. After the lunch was served, flight attendants handed out Haagen Daz ice cream. Unfortunately she ran out just as she got to my row and when she retrieved more from the galley, she forgot the rest of my row and skipped to the row behind me. I had to pop up to the galley in the back to request the ice cream. Similarly the purser or attendant in charge of the economy section neglected to give me the usual greeting and bottle of water that is offered to One World Emeralds eventhough she managed to greet the Emerald sitting in my row and section on the opposite aisle seat so again I had to point this out to them.

Our flight was moving well and quite a bit ahead of schedule when we ran into a hold pattern ordered by Hong Kong airport due to traffic congestion so we ended up touching down just a couple of minutes before the scheduled arrival time. We had a far gate so it took probably about 10 minutes to get back to the main terminal baggage claim area. However, our luggage was still not delivered yet and it probably took another 10 minutes of waiting after reaching baggage claim before luggage from our flight started coming out.

We got a very good price for the flight so overall even with the slight service hiccups, it is still a good product.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I flew to Denpasar (Bali Indonesia) from Hong Kong on CX785 in economy. The flight was operated by a B777-200 (I note on some days, the flight is operated by an Airbus 330-300 instead). I was lucky in that I was sitting on the aisle in the middle section and the middle seat was not occupied giving me extra room to spread out. The flight was not short as it is about 4 hours but time passed quite quickly with meal service and the excellent touch screen entertainment system with many movie choices. Seat comfort and service was good and meal service, as always on Cathay Pacific, is reliably edible. There was a bit of hiccup as one of the washrooms appeared to run out of water from the faucet for hand-washing part way through the flight but as there were two washrooms on our side, I managed to avoid that washroom for the rest of the flight. We got a good price on the flight through a travel agent in Hong Kong and paid about HK$600 less than our friends who booked on-line at the Cathay website. The flight arrived on time and luggage delivery was quick. Denpasar airport is quite nice and everything was fairly efficiently dealt with eventhough we arrived at the same time as several other flights so there were a fair number of people lined up at immigration and passport control. For a short haul flight in economy, we had a good flight and good value.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Having flown Emirates a couple of times, this our first with Cathy Pacific. It was a very long flight but enjoyable as time flew by!!
The food was good but a bit too spicy and hot for our liking, but others enjoyed it, and that is what matters. Drinks available, if you wanted more you only had to ask.
Service very good a with friendly crew. Seating as comfortable as possible on a flight.
Overall a good flight.

1  Thank seaweed009
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Overall a decent long haul flight. No delays, excellent check in and boarding. Polite, helpful staff, comfortable seating with plenty of leg room and good entertainment options. The two areas of concern for us were the food and the sanitary arrangements. The former was poor, congealed and only heated in places and the latter was a case of walking some distance in the dark (a night flight ) to the tiniest loos
I’ve ever seen which also happened to be very wet underfoot. Not a pleasant experience.