“Definitely not the worst airline I've travelled on”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience on China Eastern. The flight got away on time, the staff were polite, the seats were comfortable enough (though I would recommend a neck pillow if travelling long distances), there was plenty of leg room in economy, the entertainment system was adequate and the food was generally OK. The biggest negative, in my opinion, was poor standard of alcoholic drinks. For example, only warm beer or limited red wine was offered at dinner and throughout flight -there was no white wine available which either meant it wasn't provided or it ran out before it got to the rear of the airbus 300. Also the cabin crew whilst always polite weren't that attentive at times. To be truthful they probably deserve a "good" rating rather than average but that option isn't available. I guess the bottom line is, based on this experience, I would have no problems flying with them again.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
2  Thank Kevin G
Write a ReviewReviews (2,209)

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I was stuck in Shangai for 10 hours, not knowing when my flight will depart. People kept telling us we will leave in 1h, when we exposed our problems with missing connections, relatives waiting for us... they were just laughing at us. We couldn't get any sleep as we didn't know when we will be leaving. They kept telling us that it was because of the weather, but flights were leaving all night long! No anouncements when they changed the gate to finally board!! And once in Beijing, no luggage! People at the counter who were not speaking English, and did not make any effort to understand me (I was not trying to buy a train ticket at a counter for missing luggage!!). On the way back, we checked in with a person who was clearly incompetent, not speaking English for a flight going to Australia... Even "name tag" was not in his vocabulary. The guy was overly rude. They finally locked us in a boarding room with nothing than water without any notice!!
Better to spend a bit more and avoid this horrible company.

6  Thank Alexia D
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I was a little concerned when I was told I was flying China Eastern as I’d not read great things online about them. I went onboard with an open mind on the hope that I would just get there a back in one piece. I was impressed, the food was very good, the service and staff were very nice and helpful. Only minor downside was the cabin was a little warm and the announcements are very hard to understand as they are quiet and in broken English. I would have no hesitation to use them again and out performed some of the more we’ll known larger airlines that I normally use.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
3  Thank lecky1981
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

China highlights is over and beyond excellent. I was greatly impressed with my first trip from Melbourne to Shanghai and then Vancouver. So for my second trip to China and Canada I booked again with China Eastern and this time I was truly blown away. I booked through a 3rd party to get the cheapest flight. I was concerned that I had a 3hr stop over in Shanghai on my way to Vancouver where I'd have to change airports. The airports are 1hr apart. I contacted China Eastern to ask them if they provided a shuttle so I would be sure not to miss my connecting flight. They changed my flight so I wouldn't need to change airports. On top of that they noticed on my way to Beijing I had an 11hr layover in Shanghai so they booked me a hotel room with shuttle bus. On top if that when I arrived in China a host came through the customs line with a sign with my name to find me and help me to my shuttle. They took such good care of me. Also most companies when you book 3rd party don't want to deal with the customer and pawn you off to the company you booked through. Not Chiba Eastern, they take care of you and value you no matter how you book. I am so impressed. They also gave me isle seats my entire trip upon my request. Also if you travel in China you only want to book with Chiba eastern as they have so many kiosk in the airports. It's easy to find help and assistance as a Chiba eastern passenger. I will only fly Chiba eastern. They are the best airline I have ever flown. Simply the best

3  Thank tchomyszyn
Reviewed 19 October 2017

I didn't have high expectations as I'd heard bad things about China Eastern. My trip turned out to be far better than I'd imagined. Food and beverage service far exceeded what you'd get on a domestic US airline, and the airfare was a bargain for this 800 mile trip. Seats had a standard amount of room. The aircraft was well maintained and clean. While this wasn't a luxury experience in any sense, it was as good a flight as I've ever had for a mid-range economy class ticket.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
2  Thank MarkLBoston