“Nightmare flight, Horrible rude service, terrible food”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 24 September 2017

This was a flight from hell. We wanted to upgrade from economy class to business class or premium economy, but they wouldn't let us do it over the phone, they wouldn't let us do it at check-in, they wouldn't let us do it at the gate, they wouldn't let us do it until we sat at our seats in the back of the plane, put our luggage away, and THEN they let us talk about it with them. Then they didn't let us pick our seats. We ended up paying an additional large sum of money for one leg of a flight for two seats in the middle of the plane behind a crying baby. My legrest was broken, and the seat was actually more narrow than the economy seat. The legroom was about the same. Since the staff barely spoke English, and had a completely "do not care" attitude, and waited so long to process the upgrade, we were taking off and couldn't change our seats. The absolute WORST part was that there was no seatbelt extender that fit the Premium Economy seatbelt on the plane (It was not standard size). I had to fly for over 16 hours with no seatbelt. I'm not sure how that's legal or safe, and they didn't really care. The food was awful and mostly inedible. They did not have sugar on the plane (for coffee or tea), the drinking water was WARM and they rarely came by with it. There was absolutely NO special treatment for upgrading. We would have been happier staying in our original seats and keeping our money. The in-flight entertainment was very much slanted towards Chinese movies, and while there were a few American Hollywood movies to choose from, I had already seen most of them. There were a few older American TV episodes, but only 1 or 2 episodes of a series, that seemed to be in the middle of the season, not the beginning or end. They would not allow phones to be turned on during the flight in airplane mode at any point so I couldn't entertain myself. I've never been so unhappy with a long haul flight.

1  Thank Alyssa Kathryn B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,177)

Reviewed 22 September 2017

The flight left on time and arrived on time... and, in between the service provided was excellent! This segment of my travel was much shorter than my previous "leg" but the level of service was just as professional. The food service and check in was also done efficiently and with a very pleasant/pleasing attitude!!

2  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Having taken this flight several times over the past few years, the professionalism of the service provided just keeps getting better!! The flight crew are very pleasant and helpful-- never shying away from trying to help someone with a request! The movies kept me very busy for over 10 hours. The quality and quantity of food exceeds that of other airlines... and the check in is very quick! I'll keep flying with CSA as long as they keep it up!!!

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 22 September 2017

This was the worst flight experience I have ever had. China Southern shares responsibility with Delta for the horror I experienced, but even on it's own, China Southern provided the worst service I have ever seen, and I am an experienced traveler. First, due to a Delta delay, my flight plan had to be changed. It was changed by Delta and then again by China Southern. I specifically asked the China Southern agent in Los Angeles if my bag was on the plane, showing them my original baggage tag, and they assured me it was. Upon arrival in Bangkok, not only was my luggage not there - it had never left Detroit!!! Service during the flight(s) was dismal, with only two rounds of service for a 15 hour flight. I have thus been without a change of clothes and unable to conduct my scheduled business for two days, while I even now await the arrival of my luggage at my Bangkok hotel. I will never fly China Southern again if it can possibly be avoided. They have taken no responsibility and offered no recompense for what I have experienced.

1  Thank stpatrickgirl
Reviewed 21 September 2017

This trip from Seoul to Melbourne required changing planes, so I had 2 flights on China Southern airlines. Both flights were really wonderful: EXCEPTIONALLY helpful/attentive cabin attendants, which made the flights very comfortable. The seat was comfortable, and the food was really excellent for airline food. There were plenty of movies, etc. available to see to help pass the time. I had requested a wheelchair, and after the first flight landed, they had a vehicle available to drive me to the terminal and escort me directly to the China Southern Airport Lounge. I was in the lounge for about an hour or two, and they had a wheelchair pick me up and take me directly to the second flight. I wish that other airlines could provide this type of service for their customers!!!

2  Thank FriendlyGuy246