“Not yet at competitive world-class level”
Review of Hainan Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For the connection from Europe to Australia, the Chinese airlines will hold a future "key" and compete against the middle-east stopover airlines such as Emirates and Etihad. However, at this time, Hainan Airlines CANNOT compete as a business class trip will require you to disembark in Changsha, go through Chinese customs, and catch an economy class flight to Beijing. In Changsha NO-ONE speaks English and customs have different rules to Australia or Europe. In future, these flights will hopefully be "fast-tracked" to allow "transit" rather than "disembarkation".

1  Thank Ouppoeps

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have flown with this airline to China several times in last couple of years. They are definitely friendlier.

1  Thank Ray J
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the time we left Toronto, and returned from Beijing it was excellent service. I even got a birthday card delivered to my seat with a hand written personal message from the airline. Best flight and comfort in a very long time. No english movies on flight home.

2  Thank Wildaboutparis
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was the first time I have flown with Hainan and it was booked firstly on price and secondly on convenience of flights.

Aircraft was ok but once you have flown on an A380 you feel spoilt.

The IFE (English films) was a little dated and the selection was not great (no comparison with EK). I asked for a gin and tonic with my meal and was told they didn't have any tonic so gave me sprite. Later on in the flight I asked for another and was told 'no, spirits closed'. Given that it's a 10 hour flight to PEK, that is poor customer service.

Transfer at PEK for SHA was poorly signposted (MAN airport didn t mention about having to go upstairs to transfer). It was a mad rush to transfer, particularly as I didn t know where I was going.

There was a very long wait at immigration in PEK (best part of 1 hr) for foreigners.

Not sure I would fly with them again.

1  Thank Pennylets
Reviewed 13 September 2017

I flew from Los Angeles to Urumqi via Seattle and Beijing (2 stops). I really wanted to like this airline - the fare I got was many hundreds cheaper than the other carriers. They have a "5-star" rating. Well, not really. Everything about the service was good, the flight attendants spoke passable English. My main gripe was the aircraft - an Airbus A300. This is NOT good for transpacific long haul flights. The seats in Economy are crammed in so tight that there is basically no legroom. I am a small person and I still felt like a cork in a bottle.
There was in-flight entertainment in the seatbacks but the selections were pretty limited, nothing recent. The food was mediocre and there weren't any snacks.
However, everyone from Hainan I interacted with was pleasant and professional.
I will fly with them again, but only when I can find a flight using a Dreamliner.

1  Thank SoCalCalendarGirl