“Great Airline”
Review of Hawaiian Airlines

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Great inter island transfer airline to utilise between any of the Hawaiian Islands. Have flown them a few times now and they are very good. Thanks again, hope to return soon,

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,079)

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We flew from Honolulu to San Diego. The Airbus was in great condition and the take off and landing were perfect. Right after takeoff the cabin crews are expected to begin hawking the extras passengers can get for the flight: Water, potato chips, blankets, pillows and junk food of all sorts. At least an hour or more passed before the crews rolled out the beverage service. We asked for a can of soda water each but were refused. A mystery chicken sandwich in a plastic wrap was handed out and was uneatable. I took one bit and couldn't finish it. A snack was announced before landing in San Diego. It consisted of a tiny piece of chocolate and a very small bag of cheap looking and tasting flour-like crackers of some kind. The plane got cold and there were no blankets except to purchase. Many of the films that were free on the international section of our journey with Hawaiian Airlines were now for pay. And there weren't that many interesting films anyway. It is a poor entertainment system. The music selection is from the 70s and very limited. The touch screen at my seat needed a good thump to activate the button - much to annoyance of the person in front of me. The flight attendants were attentive, smiling and tried to be helpful. I sure expected more from Hawaiian Airlines. Thank goodness we bought the "Extra Comfort" seats which were fine.
Going through security at Honolulu was a complete mess. It's hard to find which line to stand in. Allow much extra time to figure it out.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I enjoyed the flight. Friendly staff. The plan was spacious and very comfortable. There was inflight entertainment available for purchase. It roominess makes a long flight enjoyable.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We planned our vacation from New Orleans to Sydney, Australia very carefully.

We researched every airline that served the US to Sydney. After weeks of research we went with Hawaiian. We liked the idea of using Honolulu as a hub for a Hawaiian side trip and liked the idea that the flight from Honolulu to Sydney was a little more than 10 hours.

The first leg of our flight was from LAX to HNL. The flight was delayed an hour. Not too bad. The plane landed, got the plane switched out and we were on board. I liked that each seat had own entertainment monitor. It was limited to only a few free movies. You could pay a fee for the full package.

That flight was excellent. Flight attendants very attentive and friendly. The flight was smooth, a nice airbus, and was very comfortable.

We landed in Honolulu. The issue we had was with the airport. Had to get on a shuttle to get our luggage. It was waiting for us when we arrived at the luggage claim.

The next leg of the flight was from HNL to SYD. This flight we upgraded to comfort class which I highly recommend on a long haul flight. Lots of leg room and the seat has a good recline. We were all given a small amenities bag which included an assortment of items including ear phones and eye shades.

This was the first issue with the flight. I have a gluten allergy and I had contacted Hawaiian Customer Service numerous times; at least 5 times. I even email them. I asked if I could reserve a gluten free meal. They said, that was not necessary. I could ask the flight attendant at the time of boarding. That was the same response I had received by everyone I spoke too.

When it was time for the meal service, I asked the flight attendant for a gluten free meal. You could tell he was ex-military b/c he basically schooled me in the proper procedure in asking for a gluten free meal. When I told him that I spoke to 5 people in customer service, he gave me a smirk, like I had not heard what he just said and walked away. Since we were somewhere over the Pacific I was not going to argue with this guy and cause the flight to be diverted. He seemed to have that type of demeanor. As it was, I had packed enough snacks to last the 10+ hour flight.

On the 3rd Hawaiian flight, that was the return flight from SYD to HNL. This flight left at 10:00PM local time SYD and would be an all night flight. Again, I upgraded to comfort class. Good choice b/c the extra leg room was very enjoyable. I put on my eye shades and my ear plugs, reclined my chair and was able to get some rest.

We weren't far from the service gally when I heard a passenger speaking to a flight attendant in a very loud voice. I looked at my watch and it was 2:00AM!! Had she no idea she was disrupting the entire flight!! Even with my ear plugs I could hear her voice plainly.

Breakfast was served and it was an egg dish with potato and a side of fruit. All safe foods for me. I gave the muffin away.

The flight landed smoothly and then the next issue arrose.

Since we were coming from Australia, we had to pass through immigration in Honolulu. My family and I applied for Global Entry and that was a breeze. Bypassed the long line. However, we needed to collect our luggage.

It took 1.5 HOURS!! 1.5 HOURS!! 1.5 HOURS!! to get our luggage. Two Hawaiian flights had arrived, ours and one from Auckland, NZ. Seemed only one or two people unloaded planes. We had a connecting flight from HNL to Maui. I gave ourselves 3 hours and yes, it took every bit of that time. When we got our luggage, we had to check it, again, with Hawaiian. The terminal was a zoo! The TSA Pre Check line was enormous but it did move. We were able to make our connection and the good news, our luggage arrived, too.

The last leg of the flight was from OGG to LAX. A very good flight. We did not upgrade to comfort class on this flight. The flight departed and arrived on time. No issues with food, luggage, etc...

Hawaiian needs to do better job of educating their customer service department and flight attendants on how to handle a customer's dietary needs. And, please, someone, hire more staff at the HNL airport. Outrageous to wait 1.5 hours to get luggage.

• Food and Beverage
2  Thank nola1961
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Tried to upgrade our seats 7 times, even called twice but they weren’t able to do it, disappointed when we got on the plane and saw the seats vacant for the whole flight, I did send a complaint and got a return email telling me they would get back to me in 30 days, I replyed and told not to bother as I would be back at work by then,the food was ok (budget airline quality) entertainment was fine the staff were great the seats comfortable, the plane was clean.