“Bumped from a Qantas Flight”
Review of Qantas

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I was taking a Sunday afternoon flight from Perth direct to Canberra and Qantas sent several reminders to my mobile about my flight and at no time did they mention they had bumped me.

When checking in on the machines at the airport I could not get a response from the machine about my flight. Eventually I got some help from a Qantas employee and she told me I had been bumped. I had booked the flight in November 2016 so was most surprised and this employee told me 'we have politicians flying to Canberra and the flight is full'. She said it was irrelevant as to when I had booked but I was to go through security and wait at a desk upstairs and if after everyone was on the plane and there was a seat then they would let me on.
I did ask how to see that this does not happen again and was told to join the Qantas Club.
I was also told I would be compensated for all this but when I did eventually get on the plane I got the seat by the toilet and my seat was a fixed seat and the man in front put his seat back and I was jammed in. So much for compensation. I had booked a window seat in the centre of the plane. I do know that Qantas are not obliged to give you the seat you book but I was short changed with a very uncomfortable seat.
I have contacted Qantas but they have not replied - 2017/161562.

1  Thank Jane G
Write a ReviewReviews (8,834)

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I have always tried to fly Qantas because of their service but am finding that this service - particularly on the ground - is just not as good as it used to be which is really disappointing. When I talk to them about it, I feel just brushed aside so I do wonder whether what I am seeing is a result of internal devaluation of staff. Really sad having just flown a number of airlines through the USA and found that the Qantas service has really dropped to that of the US airlines when it used to be significantly better. Oh well. Perhaps time to move on.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Check in easy, Lounge at Sydney Airport, dirty unfriendly. Need some renovation.
Boarding delayed due to mechanical problem, happens quite often...
Seats great, service the typical unfriendly one, food served you can not eat.
Will not fly Qantas again

1  Thank 853berlin23
Reviewed 23 August 2017

My wife and I flew economy with Qantas from Melbourne to London on 14th July on a very new A380. About 4 hours into the flight I became quite ill. The care and concern provided was first class and I wont forget how well I was treated by all cabin staff. They went above and beyond. Thank you Qantas.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

We booked a week at Lord Howe Island through Spacifica Travel and took out domestic travel insurance with their recommended insurer, Suresave.
Spacifica booked the flights with Qantas.
After checking in at Brisbane Domestic we were informed by Qantas that the Sunday flight had been cancelled due to extreme weather conditions over the island.
At this point Qantas could have walked away from us as flights from BNE were weekly only. Instead they flew us to Sydney to enable all of the people on the flight to get the daily flight to the island.
Qantas put us up at the marvellous Holiday Inn which had a modern bedroom and an even better bar/restaurant downstairs.
The next morning we were transported to Sydney Airport where we checked into the Monday flight to the island, had breakfast at the Qantas Club and waited. Oops, the departure board changed our flight to cancelled. Down to the service desk where the charming Qantas staff told us they were putting us up again at the Holiday Inn. You beaut, happy with that. Called my daughter, told her we were stranded, met up with my gorgeous grand-daughters at Manly and returned in time for another visit to the Holiday Inn restaurant.
Tuesday came and the same happened. Clearly the weather had it in for Lord Howe. Down to the Qantas service desk – where the staff were surprised to talk to happy people, but we’d had a good time so far – however Qantas’ largesse was becoming strained as we ended up at the Ibis. Not quite the same but not to worry, we trained up to Medlow Bath and had High Tea at the Hydro Majestic Hotel. On the way back we called in to see my brother and sister-in-law at Blacktown, had dinner there – they couldn’t get out of that one – and they drove us back to the Ibis afterwards. Pfft.
Wednesday, same thing. But this time those lovely ladies at the Qantas service desk weren’t quite sure about what was going to happen. I suggested they send us home and in a flash we were in the 11am flight queue to BNE.
The next episode involved Amy at Spacifica helping us to initiate the insurance claim. The clearance from Qantas itself was part of it, but as soon as that was finalised Amy directed me to Suresave to complete the claim procedure. Insurance companies could have a poor rep, particularly with their automated letters, but once I made contact with Nicole the procedure became straight-forward and after only 2 to 3 weeks the claim was settled.
I think flights didn’t resume to Lord Howe until the Friday so there would have been quite a few people upset, both on the island and on the mainland. Looking back on the events of the week I thought Qantas was heroic. Qantas made a valiant effort to give us every opportunity to be ready in Sydney, just in case a gap in the weather appeared. Qantas, together with Spacifica and Suresave, turned what could have been a disastrous time into an unplanned but pleasant stay in Sydney.