“New Basic Economy Fare is a Nightmare Fare”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 22 August 2017

United's new basic economy fare is awful. No flexibility in it at all. Beware when you book because the lowest fare is now this totally restrictive basic economy fare. It is filled with "no"--no choice of seats, no changing seats, no upgrades, no normal size carry on, last to board. What a terrible idea. Buyer beware. It is a ripoff.

1  Thank eugeneoregongirl

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We booked a flight to Orlando August 5-12, 2017. There were five of us flying, two adults, two minors and a senior citizen. The flight to Orlando was great, no problems. However, towards the end of our vacation, while at Hollywood Studios,I started getting text messages from United stating that they had to make a plane swap and our seating arrangement was changed. The first two times they changed our seating assignment we were still seated together, the third time they change our seating assignment we were scattered throughout the cabin. I called the airline and was told there was nothing they could do and I needed to talk to the ticket agent at the airport. I decided to try calling United again and was told the same think but if I wanted to upgrade to Economy Plus I could pay the difference. I found it ridiculous that due to their fault I would need to pay extra to be seated together. I asked to talk to a supervisor and after being on hold for several minutes I was told I would be upgraded at no cost. I think it's bad business to make the paying customer do all the work while on vacation to correct something that is out of my control and I didn't give permission for. By the way, this is the second time they have done this to us. The same thing happened last year.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Yesterday's flight and missed connection handled with class and the utmost care. Good job.

But come to airport in Washington without confirmed seats for the second flight only to find one of my young children separated from myself and the other child. When I protested the gate agent basically said "I could have put you all in the very back of the plane, take it or leave it." And in a less than polite fashion. I get they can't always accommodate bumped passengers but the attitude was frankly Rock bottom bad.

I would think after "the incident" United would really take rude employees to task.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We had a flight booked from the East coast of the US to Kona/ Hawaii, it included three flights there and three flights back. All with United.

United kept changing the flight numbers, departure times and airports constantly, and we were NEVER notified of any changes.

The two "best" examples of how messed up their customer service was is by giving two examples.
The first was, we were given a new flight itinerary which had us "land" in Newark and our next flight would haven taken off 47 minutes before already. (How can this be a LEGAL connection??)

And another time we saw yet another flight change in which they just went ahead and canceled the whole first leg of the trip. Without any notification or alternative. The new itinerary stated we leave from Newark. (Which is a 4 h drive away for us!)

I can not recall how many times the itinerary changed. In the end we were so fed up, we canceled the whole trip.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Appalling !
I have flown all over the world and this airline truly is the worst..
Check in (chaotic, one staff member!) ordered into groups (but pointless as on board everyone was in random seat positions, so the aisles were blocked anyway)
Plane(s); Very old, (yellow faded plastic) dirty (food on seats upon boarding) ; Failed entertainment system (you have you have the app on your own phone/device.. do NOT have the latest device software (!) and works only on 'certain' devices.. and that is some of the time.. some films load, some do not, will stop halfway through playing and the reload (if you are lucky!) back to the beginning. Rubbish selection of very old films.
Food: mostly left, very poor quality and miserly small portions:
NOTE- also that despite having UPGRADED Food and drinks are ADDITIONAL purchases !
Crew. Miserable and unhelpful. We saw them ONCE on the entire flight to serve half a cup of warm water.
Toilets just two at the back, and wow betide if you try and use any others (see miserable staff!)
Seats. new style crammed in with extra rows no leg room, barely enough to even sit in (I'm thin by the way). very old Fixed 4x3 lcd screen (so utterly useless if the seat in
front reclines)
Seats barely recline, so expect a very long and Unconformable flight. Thin and painful sitting.
Goodness knows how anyone in 'economy' coped.
This is truly the most miserable airline i have ever had the (dis)pleasure to fly with..
it would appear that all United s recent news items (people forcibly offloaded etc) is a true reflection of how this woeful airline treats passengers.
AVOID.