“NEVER AGAIN”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 6 October 2022

Purchased basic economy ticket. Tried to check in with App to get boarding pass but was directed to check in at airport with United Staff day of flight since I'm only bringing personal bag and needed to confirm it met requirements. Arrived at MSN 1 hr before boarding and there was 15+ ppl at United counter waiting to be checked in. Used Self Check in Kiosk and was then given same message to wait for staff to check bag so I can get boarding pass. After 10-15 mins, 1 United worker finally arrived to help people with getting boarding passes and checking luggage. After 30 mins, was finally helped at counter but then denied boarding pass but wasn't given reason why and asked to wait until they checked in the now 20+ people waiting in line, missed my 6:40am flight. Waited 45mins -1.5 hr for another United staff to come out and help and reschedule to next available flight 5 hrs away. NEVER had I ever needed to check in at the airport with Staff to make sure personal bag met requirements so I can get my boarkding pass that I paid for with another Airline. Never been treated disrespectfully, unprofessionally, and dealt with incompetent Airline Staff until booking with United. Flight Return home was the same, had to check in at airport to access boarding pass. Was only able to get home on time by checking in at airport 5 hrs in advance. Instead of overbooking flights and screwing paying customers, United needs to limit flight purchases/reservations to what's available like any other Airline.

Reviewed 5 October 2022

Let us just say sitting in a plane on the tarmac for over a combined five hours at a combined two airports is not a way to secure returned customers. But what was amazing were the different excuses that they came up with. Like one of the excuses, the plane is too heavy so we are going to select people to be removed from the plane. One hour later someone comes on to the plane and four people left on their own.
Here is another one. Gate attendant "are you going to announce when you are going to board my flight to Richmond? " Answer, she looked me right in the face and said, "No". So I had to stand at the gate for 45 minutes just to make sure that I was able to get on the flight.
Yes, the days of customer service are gone at United.

Date of travel: October 2022
Reviewed 4 October 2022

My Husband and I travelled from D.C. back to Madrid two weeks ago and were made to pay a $500.00 fee for getting a CVid test before boarding our United flight, even though my Husband explained to her that it was no longer required back in Spain where we are residents. We were told to wear masks while we were processed, however the people taking our information and test givers were not wearing masks!? We almost missed our flight due to this joke!!! Of course, on arrival back in Madrid, no one asked us for any CVid information because it was NOT necessary! My Husband did the same trip just three weeks earlier on a different Airline and did not have to show proof of vax nor pay to get any testing. We will NEVER fly United again...they may be friendly, but they are extortionists!

1  Thank Seapearltoo
Reviewed 4 October 2022

We are frequent flyers but typically fly with American. This was our first experience with United Airline. On the trip to Honolulu, we were group 4 to board and we were informed when they got to us that there was not enough room for our carry on items and we were forced to check them. We were given no warning and no time to rearrange our luggage. My husband was clearly agitated and complained. The response he got was "Well, next time you should pay for an upgrade so this doesn't happen to you." No apology for the inconvenience. and the response made us feel like we were not important because we didn't pay extra for our flight.

Our flight home was much more pleasant and as we sat down to wait for boarding, the staff announced that the flight was very full and that they may run out of storage room so they asked for volunteers to check their carry on rolling bags. We rearranged our items and checked our bags. A little communication and expectations go a long way.

Our flight attendants on each flight were very nice and our flights arrived earlier than anticipated. We did have some issues with our TV screens and outlets working but nothing major during our flights.

Reviewed 4 October 2022

They are THE WORST! Worse than the budget airlines! I was forced to call to rebook and then left on hold with horrible music ALL DAAYYY! I have a life, I have work to do! This is unacceptable! By the time I was finally able to reach someone who would help me make the very easy and small change THE PRICE HAD GONE UP OVER $100!!!! But they didn't give me any way to change it myself so I WAS FORCED TO RELY ON THESE IDIOTS WHO TOOK HOURS TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE CHANGE!!!!! I will NEVER fly on United again after such a HORRIBLE customer service experience. People dropped my calls and I had to call back multiple times and it was just overall a complete disaster. I CANNOT BELIEVE A COMPANY CAN GET AWAY WITH TREATING THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS!!!! If only they could acknowledge when they have treated a customer wrong and provided appropriate compensation... I'm feeling very cheated and I hope nobody else has to go through what I just went through.

Date of travel: October 2022
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.