“Damaged Luggage”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 15 December 2017

The flight experience was the usual high quality from Virgin. However, my suitcase was badly damaged with the handle torn off !! Because I waited until my return to UK before submitting a claim it was deemed invalid because there is a seven day time limit !!! I should have lied and said that it was damaged on the return !! Travellers beware !!

1  Thank John H
Write a ReviewReviews (6,823)

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I booked and paid for a seat approx. 2 weeks prior to flight. When I arrived at Heathrow, I was provided a boarding pass with another seat listed but I did not notice that it wasn't the seat I purchased. The flight was absolutely awful. There was literally no leg room, the woman ahead of me pushed her seat back for the entire flight, and the wrong seat I was given was against a wall, making it even more difficult to get comfortable. When I arrived at my destination, I wrote to Virgin, explaining their mistake and asking for a rebate of the £30 I paid for a seat I didn't get. I received one reply from their "Customer Service," telling me that they're looking into it and would reply soon. I have yet to hear anything from them and this is now over 2 weeks after that flight. My return from the States to Heathrow was still extremely uncomfortable and I vowed to never take Virgin Atlantic again when going west. We've used them for trips within Europe and all was fine. But this return trip was abysmal. I have a back condition that is now flaring up because of the cramped, uncomfortable conditions on the airplanes. And, what makes me even grumpier is that they have yet to reply which tells me everything about how they treat their customers and what concern they have when they make a mistake. VA is off my flight list.

4  Thank Blondechick2013
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Premium Economy is like the old business class. Better seats, early boarding, more room, great service and meals. This is how flying should always be. We selected a flight aboard the Boeing 787 dreamliner. The cabin is pressurized to a lower altitude than other aircraft and it really makes a difference.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

We opted for Premium Economy. Excellent decision.

From the time we arrived at Gatwick the experience was amazing. Return similar.

Our cases checked in, security and passport control was a breeze.

Our seats were perfect, as we are tall, legroom more than enough.

Hospitality and service from the crew was brilliant.

Food out was better than food back but my husband ordered a diabetic meal and it was superb.

Loads of choice on the entertainment. Night flight home was comfy enough to sleep 4-5 hours

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Flying Upper class should be a privilege, a relaxing pleasurable experience. Alas not this time. For the record we are, were, strong advocates for the Virgin brand. This was a long planned wedding anniversary trip that turned into a farce.

Virgin holidays booked us on the wrong cabin class coming home. Wanted to charge £6230 to change the class of the ticket; to correct their mistake.
We had no way of getting us and our luggage home. We had to pay again.
We had no way of getting home from the airport despite having paid their concierge service to book it for us.
Virgin have got rid of their lovely Boeing Dreamliners and put their old Airbus A330 and A340 back into service which are tired, dirty and broken - my seat and entertainment was not working.
We paid the duty office another £1300 plus taxes to change the ticket class when we were in America, but they still managed to get that wrong. We then had to pay them 47400 airmiles to finally correct their mistake and they got that wrong too. We then had to pay another 36000 airmiles for the chauffeur service to take us home.

The return flight didn’t even get a gate at Heathrow so we had to disembark on a mobile ladder in adverse weather with no assistance whatsoever. Upper class ? Er, no, certainly didn’t feel like it. Even wheelchair passengers didn’t get any help.

We have since found out Mr Branson has sold his majority stake in Virgin Group so the service has gone right down the toilet. The new owners want their money back and it shows.

The Virgin complaints team are impotent and useless. Weak apologies and a flat decline of any reimbursement at all. They deny here was any problem despite recorded calls and emails proving their negligence.

They caused days of worry and heartbreak on what should have been the holiday of a lifetime. We booked directly through Virgin Holidays expecting their expert help and advice for the perfect holiday. Big, *huge* mistake.

Never again. After 18 years flying with Virgin, I wouldn’t go with them if you paid me.

3  Thank andyhawkings1971