“Non-Stop Calgary to Liberia”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Unfortunately this flight/company was not a winner. Now don't get me wrong, the flight crew were nice and the flight uneventful. The problem is that the flight was 6 hours, a very long time not to eat. If you had pre-purchased a meal before the flight, all was fine, or if you had WestJet Dollars or a credit card that was fine too. But! if you left your credit card at home and only had cash, you could fill up on the 2 cookies, 8 pretzels, and beverage of your choice. I truly understand the reasons for not having cash, etc. but when a flight is this long, the passengers need to eat something more, how about granola bars (without peanuts obviously) or crackers and cheese. Or if you had purchased the PLUS you could eat constantly, cool huh?
By the time I got back to Canada I was so tired of all of the nickle and dimeing I was vowing to take another airline that gives a little more customer service, i.e. the airport tax and one checked bag included in the airfare.

3  Thank SailnSandi
Write a ReviewReviews (7,516)

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We booked a West Jets vacation package to Playa del Carmen and were pleasantly surprised with the service and overall experience. We booked through Expedia but when I called West Jet to book seats and get some other information they were very pleasant and extremely helpful. The flight down and back was effortless. I would recommend the "Plus" seats if you can get them. They are hard to book as you can only get them 24 hours in advance of flying which means you have to be at your computer right at the 24 hour mark or you do not get them. Service in Mexico was great and the transfer to and from the resort was on time and went smoothly. Would definitely try them again.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

The price was right. It’s a short and sweet flight in a smaller body. Good for a short trip with a carry on. A 25 dollar charge for checked bags so if your bringing a bottle of Jack back, you need to check your bag. Sometimes they waive the fee which is nice. There are free pretzels and snacks for purchase but your not in the air long enough for that to matter much. No wifi. Read a book. Friendly staff and amusing pilotes.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Air travel at one time was an exciting endeavour, where passengers were treated as
customers and the flight crews were admired and respected adventurers. Their "mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before"... but I digress. Now, we are packed like cordwood into
a big, yellow bus with wings, where people can dine on cardboard fare and rub shoulders
with a 350-pound behemoth in a tank top. (Or is it wearing a wooly sweater underneath)?
I do have one pet peeve with all airlines, namely: Carry-on luggage. Here we are attempting to board the plane and an 80-year-old spinster is attempting to load her "carry -on" into the overhead compartment. There was no chance that she would ever accomplish this feat, nor were the attendants willing to help. A moment of chivalry overcame me and I said: "Allow me to help you with that." "Oh, you're such a kind man,"
she said. Big mistake—that piece of luggage weighed over a hundred pounds. Matter-of-fact it weighed more than her. I said, "Lady, this is luggage—and it should be checked." She replied: "But it costs too much." And therein lies the real problem: the inability of the airlines to distinguish between carry-on and luggage. They are not one-in-the-same. Also, to add a little more salt to the wound: If you're seated at the back of the plane you will find no room for your carry-on. Why? Because it's loaded with the crew's own baggage and other paraphernalia of unknown origin. Good luck sourcing your carry-on after touch down. And thanks for flying with Yippeecayocay-eh Airlines.

1  Thank James G
Reviewed 24 February 2018

We'd heard very good things about WestJet and this was our first time flying with them. We have used a number of other carriers before. Our flights were fully booked both directions and the flight time was only three hours so it is hard to rate the service except to say that we were jam-packed. My husband and I sat in different rows each way. The attendants were pleasant. The price was right.