“Great Place.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yab Yum Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mandrem
Yab Yum Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mandrem
london
“Great Place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Back to freezing cold London for New Years after two weeks in Goa and we’ve decided to write our stay down before it all fades away into the January grime. Our time here was beautiful, what more can we say? How many times in your life are you going to wake up every morning in a cottage that steps out on a sandy coconut grove right on the beach, drink your morning coffee on the verandah, eat the freshly cut fruit, head out to the white pristine beach and spend the day sipping lemon sodas, reading books, having a cocktail or two and doing it all again. It was just perfect. We went out for dinner at a few places in the evening but other than that we realised we just didn’t want to leave Yab Yum. I already want to go back again and now we’re in the cold thinking our stay was just a dream. So sad to leave, but so happy we discovered it. Compared to all the other places around it, which were either too basic, too expensive, or full of brashness and loud music and bad service Yab was just calm and classy and had a real understated attention to detail. Great!

11 Thank am699

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Cumbria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here in December 2011 for just the one night, we had travelled up from the busier tourist areas in North Goa and literally rolled up at the door and asked if they had anything available. They had a bungalow available and the price was 5000 rupees which was just over £60, which I thought was a bit steep. However the lady that greeted us was very pleasant and polite.

It was a beautiful setting and seemed to be popular with people with young children, and I would say it seemed to fit that type of tourist well. It seemed to appeal to the type of crowd that used to go backpacking 20 years ago in a gap year but now have more money and less time, but still like to stay in this type of 'beach hut' accommodation and this caters well for that type of person.

The breakfast was excellent and was served on the veranda of the bungalow which was lovely.

On the downside the room was not clean, and that means there was dust on a lot of surfaces and in the bathroom on a higher shelf it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, perhaps years. Worst of all on the window sill of the bathroom there was a ball of coagulated pubic hair and dust which was frankly disgusting.

I have stayed in better places that were a 10th of the price and I did get the feeling that the owners are resting on their laurels a bit as there seemed to be no shortage of people wanting to stay there. Apparently they had received good reviews in The Guardian but that's no excuse. It is vital to keep your resort rooms absolutely spotless.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
yabyumowner, Owner at Yab Yum Resort, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
It would have perhaps been fair to have pointed out:

These guests arrived at peak time with no booking and we're informed that the one available room had not yet been cleaned, they still wanted to inspect the room which they did, and then paid and went to the beach leaving their belongings behind.

The housekeeping did their best to then clean the room but clearly rushed so that it would be ready when the guests returned from their swim, it's not good enough that the room wasn't spotless, but maybe fairer, as the reviewer knows, to point out why.

Further to the issue of cost: as the guest inspected the room, why take it if it was so expensive.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed for five nights at Yab Yum Beach after spending three nights at the Yab Yum Jivana Plantation. The cottages and domes are well spaced sitting in a lush green plot right on a quiet stretch of beach. A row of well spaced, comfortable loungers is provided.

Breakfast was basic but tasty - toast, homemade jams, eggs, a simple fruit salad (given the range of amazing tropical fruit it is a shame that they are not really used), fruit juice and tea or coffee. The lunch menu was decent - highlights are the curry of the day and the chickpea kebabs. However after eight days the repertoire was somewhat exhausted.

There is also an excellent masseur, David, who provided one of the best 90 minute all body massages.

As evening meals have to be specially requested and there is not a great deal of atmosphere anyway the proximity to the fabulous La Plage restaurant is very welcome.

Yab Yum has a fantastic location however unfortunately not all of the time is spent on the beach and there are a few issues off it:

- The service is somewhat hit and miss. Early on in the stay there was an English guy, Matt, working the bar - once he went off sick the bar went largely unmanned. Any drinks requests had to be lodged at reception and then the order went along a chain of command. Whilst the majority of the staff were extremely friendly one of the reception staff was surly and any requests or questions were certainly not welcomed with anything approaching a smile. When checking out there was an English guy behind the reception desk who just asked where we were going next - it would probably have been better to ask how out stay had been!?

- We stayed in cottage 05 which is located next to the reception area and as a result was rather noisy (we had the windows and doors open due to the night time temperatures) especially once the staff start work in the morning. The bathroom was very small (shower virtually over the toilet) and not overly clean - it had a feeling of requiring an overhaul - pongy toilet, dirty drain, discoloured paintwork etc.

The purpose of our trip was to spend time on the beach and therefore location was the most important factor and Yab Yum certainly has that and makes you more willing to overlook the negatives. Although having seen some of the alternatives along the stretches of beach I suspect that Yab Yum is one of the best.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tominhk
yabyumowner, Owner at Yab Yum Resort, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
thanks for the review and for raising a couple of things:

service - we had our busiest Xmas and NY ever, Matt worked wonders helping train our bar staff, but unfortunately when he became ill he wasn't the first and we found ourselves chronically under-staffed. It'd be interesting to hear from other people that stayed over the holidays, as we had a less low-key NY than we usually do.

the cottage - we'll take your comments onboard and refresh the room, certainly after being so busy there is always some wear and tear which we need to look at.

smiley staff - our staff, like most people in Goa, are always very smiley but don't always wear the default smile you may find in other parts of Asia, so sometimes they need a smile from a guest just to start them off :-)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I am fairly spoilt and love great hotels but decided to go a bit more natural on this trip and YabYum was highly recommended to me by someone who lives in Goa.
YabYum is the perfect mix between simple beach style living and luxury. The resort is beautifully arranged and very peaceful and I felt perfectly safe staying by myself in one of the standard cottages ( my friends opted for more basic Bed Rock Cottages down the beach).
The beds are firm but comfortable and the bathrooms basic but very sufficient.
I felt so much more relaxed than in any 5 star resort I have ever been to.
Breakfast was lovely and service very friendly, although a touch relaxed ( didnt expect any different in laid back India). I asked if there were safe lockers in the cottages when I was arrived which was denied, but later found out that there are indeed lockers in reception.
Help with booking was very friendly and efficient , the airport transfer timely and cabs always available.
I went to a few places in Goa and YabYum has the nicest and quietest stretch of beach, and within short walking distances there is more life and parties if you are searching for it, great restaurants and beach cafes. Particularly enjoyed La Plage at new years eve and Babu Huts for many great meals.
I am already thinking about booking for next Christmas again and taking more friends.
Enjoy x

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank sinderella3
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here in December 2011 for 7 nights in a varierty of rooms due to the resort been fully booked.
Firstly, I really liked the look of the place when i was doing my research, so I really wanted to stay here.
I emailed for a reservation and was advised the Domes were fully booked, but was never offered the opportunity to stay in a couple of different room types to make up the 7 nights....which i basically figured out myself and booked online.
I emailed Yab Yum to advise what i had done and if ok and never received a response.
In any case....we turned up, the transfer was at the airport waiting as advised and delivered us to the resort.
I have been travelling to India every year for the last 5 years or so, and I have to say, I was almost certain the driver was going to kill somebody with his driving.
The driver on the return trip was great though.
First night we stayed in the single cottage......get what you pay for. Very simple, not much character, but no issues.
Our stay in the Medium family Dome was the best....even though there were only 2 of us....it was nice to have the extra space and not feel so cramped.
Bathrooms/shower/toilet all worked fine. Electricity/Fan was fine also.
Did have some frogs in this Dome, but didnt bother us too much, we just directed them back outdoors.
You can hear the music from the clubs and parties close by...again this didnt bother us, but if you want complete silence, this type of accommodation may not be right for you.
We also stayed in the HoneyPod Dome which was marketed as a higher standard product and this was our biggest dissapointment.
The Dome was much smaller, but decorated in the exact same style as the Family Domes....the only difference was that it was closer to the beach than the others.
The biggest problem with this Dome were the Rats running all thru the thatched roof all night.
We spent 2 nigths in this room without any sleep because i kept waiting for the rats to fall on us.
It was beyond noisy and disgusting. You could hear it was quite a large creature, not a gecko or frog.
Also the space under the front door was large enough to fit a rat thru.....we ended up using our bags to block this space.
Our neighbours complained about the rats and told us not to bother with our concerns as they were not dealt with by Yab Yum.
We didnt bother after these 2 nights as we moved back into a family dome.
Would never stay in this dome again.
Breakfast was always ontime and more than sufficient.

The biggest problem I have to say was the lack of Customer Service.
One morning one of the guests stepped on a rusty nail in the resort and we saw her in reception been given a detol/water bowl to cleanse her foot in. An hour later my partner also steps on a rusty nail and I told reception and their response was "again?" and gave him a bottle of detol with a cotton ball and attitude.
You would think in a resort where all the walk ways are sand and guests walking around bare foot...and after the first incident, they would perhaps do something about this.
Now for the 2 women on reception.
The younger lady was always very cheerful and polite on all occasions, the only issue was she never got back to me with any requests/questions I had. She always said, okay i'll let you know and never did.
The older lady...Attitude on all occassions. Didn't look as though she wanted to be there, and everything felt like it was a bother to her.
I left my travel pillow in the room when checking out and asked if she could retrieve it for me as we had a 36 hour trip home and she flat out refused to get it for me. She said there was nothing in the room.....She must have xray vision to know this without checking.
The food service was average too....our meals came quite a considereable time apart and my drink didnt come at all, even after i asked for it 3 times.
We are pretty easy going travellers so didnt really bother about it...but again, something that can be done better.
All in all, Yab Yum is a lovely property in a great location. The set out of the the accommodation surrounded by nature, the hammocks, outdoor tables, sound of the sea are all lovely.
I just think the rat situation needs to be looked at, and the biggest let down is their customer service.
I'd like to hope that management cares enough to listen to genuine concerns from guests and try to improve their product.
I would stay here again, and hope some of these issues were ironed out by then.
Anna, Sydney Australia
bug071@hotmail.com

Room Tip: I found the Medium Family Domes to be best.