“Walked out. First time I have ever done that.”

Falkenstein Grand Kempinski
Reviewed 16 July 2015

It's July 15th and very hot. I walked into my room and started to look around. Couldn't find a thermostat. Room was warm and muggy. Called front desk because I also couldn't find a room service menu. She tried to read me food options over the phone at which point I asked if they didn't have a menu. She replied she would bring me one. She arrived quickly with a small xeroxed page with limited options. I asked her where the air conditioning was and she replied that THE HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE AC. I assumed I misunderstood and pressed the issue and she said because it was a historic structure (tell that to the truly 5 star grand hotels of Euope who are built in palaces). I said I couldn't possibly sleep in a room that temperature and would come check out and could they call me a taxi. I took my luggage back to front desk where I was told that even though I had been in the room less than 5 minutes and they admitted it was hot and other guests had complained that I would still be charged for the stay. Blonde woman at front desk was cold and uncaring and never smiled or apologized. A managerial level person walked up seemingly by accident. She was nice and tried to showeme alternative rooms, but all were without AC and all warm. The front desk people kept insisting they were going to charge my card but the managerial employee finally got them to agree to hold charging my card until they spoke with a more senior manager the next day. I have never been to a nice hotel ANYWHERE in the world that didn't have AC and in similar circumstances wouldn't have bent over backward to help and not dared tried to charge for the room.

Now let's talk about my room decor (which I wouldn't have complained about as I was only staying one night but now that they have ticked me off . . .) my original room looked like I assume a Courtyard Marriott in East Berlin looked like before the Wall came down. A high stand up cheap granite bar by a kitchenette, a cheap looking chair and what appeared to be two twin beds pushed together but I am not positive as I didn't stay long enough. And even the "penthouse" room I was shown as an alternative looked like Bette Middler and Danny Devito could have used it for a set for Ruthless People (for those who remember that bad look that came and went briefly in the early 1980's).

Check my other hotel reviews--almost all very favorable.

AVOID THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: Bring your own air conditioner if you come in summer
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
St_Massa, Geschäftsführer at Falkenstein Grand Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

Dear MattClark,
We thank you for your open words. We regret that we were not able to find a suitable solution; even our Manager Duty was concerned in your satisfaction and offered several opportunities.
The satisfaction and well-being of our hotel guests is our biggest aim and motivation. Hence you decided to leave shortly after check in your travel agent was contacted on the following day to confirm a cancelation of your reservation free of charge.
Due to your short and uncompleted experience at the Falkenstein Grand Kempinski, it would be our pleasure welcoming you back for another chance to proof our standards and service.

Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

We spent four wonderful nights here. Our room was on the Penthouse level and gave us a breathtaking view over Frankfurt. Dinner alfresco in an exquisite garden setting was also something special, not to mention a fine menu. The staff are so obliging and helpful - nothing is too much trouble. There is a nice 15m outdoor heated swimming pool. I can strongly recommend this hotel. One slight negative was the lack of air conditioning in the main part of the building. It was 40 degrees on one of the days we were there. The problem is that it's a historical building and I imagine there are limits to what can be done about the ventilation. Would no doubt be cosy in winter.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
St_Massa, Geschäftsführer at Falkenstein Grand Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2015

Dear David_iel,

Thank you so much for your great Feedback and words - we are glad that our obliging and helpful service was appreciated and that you very much liked the comfort and design of our “the one Penthouse” at the top Level. You're right, the weather was extremely hot and therefore our cooling Ventilation System was running on high level to ensure accommodate temperatures.
Looking forward welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 9 July 2015

The staff at the FGK were exceptional and very personable. Upon arrival, we discovered that our reservation was somehow "lost." The staff quickly resolved the matter with a very comfortable residence unit (3012) for our stay. Anytime we needed anything, the front desk staff (all of whom spoke English relatively well) were very accommodating.

The restaurant/dining room offered a menu with a variety of dishes that met everyone's interests and tastes. Outdoor dining was available, weather permitting, and it provided a relaxed atmosphere for eating and socializing. The dining staff happily and graciously accommodated individual requests.

Housekeeping staff generally spoke limited or no English, so communicating our housekeeping needs was sometimes an issue. Again, the front desk staff responded to our requests and relayed the information to housekeeping.

The housekeeping process seemed a bit "quirky." We never knew what they were going to do when they arrived. Sometimes they cleaned the entire unit, while other times they seemed to do one thing but not another, vacuum or not vacuum, change linens/towels or not change linens/towels, and so on. Whatever they did, they did well. It was just always a bit of a mystery and surprise to see what was done each day.

Our kitchen was equipped with a refrigerator, countertop stove, and microwave. But we had to ask for flatware, plates and bowls, and other kitchen essentials (even dish detergent and a sponge to wash dishes). They do not have paper towels or dish towels, so we used a bathroom hand towel in the kitchen.

There was an espresso maker in the kitchen, and it required mini "K-cups" that came in a variety of flavors, both regular and decaf. For some strange reason that no one seemed to be able to explain, getting an adequate number of the mini K-cups became a daily challenge. It was if they were gold bullion. Housekeeping could not provide them, and a special request had to be made for them to be delivered by someone else. It was always a mystery as to where they came from and why they were so hard to come by. It became a running joke with other residents to see who had how much coffee each day. And getting sugar for the room was just as much of a challenge as getting the coffee.

Internet access is wireless, but only for two devices per unit at any given time. That's unacceptable in this day and age, especially if there are two people staying in the unit. My wife and I had five devices between us, and we had to juggle which devices were connected. The Internet connection speed was ridiculously slow. I ran a speed test and the download and upload speeds came in at less than 1 Mbps. That service should definitely be upgraded.

Falkenstein is a quiet community with limited activities. There are several walking/jogging/biking trails for those looking for some exercise, or looking for an alternative way to get to the surrounding communities. Some of those walking trails start right outside of the FGK property, making access very easy.

For those seeking dining alternatives, Falkenstein offers a few restaurants (we had two excellent dinners at La Vida, a five-minute walk from the FGK). Additional dining, shopping, site-seeing, and other activities are available in Konigstein, Kronberg, and Frankfurt.

For all of the quirky things that we encountered, this was a fine place to stay, and we would happily return.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business

Dear Wilder Teavel,
It was a pleasure having you with us for two weeks. Thank you very much for your most appreciated feedback. We agree that the location of the hotel surrounded by the nature of the Taunus and a short distance to Frankfurt is perfect. We notice that we still have potential for improvement, especially for long staying guest and therefore we take your remarks seriously into account to improve our service.

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Not every day do you come into a vintage facility that offers you the allure of the 21st century; the rooms are colossal and make you feel that the hotel came to you.
The food is good and the staff awesome; it is an experience I highly recommend.

Room Tip: the large and quieter rooms are on the adjoining facility
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
St_Massa, General Manager at Falkenstein Grand Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2015

Dear Okey N,

Thank you so much for your excellent Rating and Kind word. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Service as well as the comfort of our mostly new renovated rooms at the adjoining buildings.

We Count on you and look forward welcoming you back among us.

Best

S.Massa

Reviewed 5 April 2015

Big room with nice view toward a park. Food is good. Nice staff. Fast free Internet. Excellent spa facility with great swimming pool. Building is old and classic. The hotel is over a mountain so the view is wonderful.

Room Tip: Park View Room
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
VillaRothschild, Geschäftsführer at Falkenstein Grand Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2015

Dear Haddawi,

thank you so much for your excellent review - the top rating! We are happy that you had a great stay and underligned the fast Internet which we recently upgraded. We would be happy welcoming soon back in Königstein.
Sincerely yours Stefan Massa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Konigstein im Taunus
Schlosshotel Kronberg
#1 of 3 in Kronberg im Taunus
Villa Rothschild Kempinski
#2 of 6 in Konigstein im Taunus
Romantik Hotel Schloss Rettersho...
#1 of 6 in Kelkheim (Taunus)
Sachsenhausen-Nord
Villa Kennedy
Villa Kennedy
#2 of 269 in Frankfurt
Dorint Frankfurt Oberursel
#2 of 6 in Oberursel (Taunus)

Been to Falkenstein Grand Kempinski? Share your experiences!