“Not quite "there "”
Review of Old Rectory Hotel

Old Rectory Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wem
Reviewed 5 September 2017

My husband and I have just spent four nights at this hotel and overall it was OK. The hotel is in a quiet location.

The large room we had overlooked the gardens to the side and had a four poster bed . The furnishings looked very grand and in keeping with the character of the house.
However, the mattress felt hard and lumpy and the pillows are painfully thin, so sleep was a bit elusive. The bed linen was fine, but the top cover has stains on it.

Overall the house looks like it needs some refurbishment as the decor looks tired and in need of some TLC.

The water pressure is very poor in this room and it takes a long time to fill the bath. No shower in the bathroom, but a hand held shower hose is attached to the bath taps. Given the poor water pressure and this arrangement, I could not wash my hair during our stay. I have to admit that it is waist length, so trying to wash it in the bath is not really suitable.

The room was clean enough, but not quite as the fluff and debris under the bed could clearly be seen .

The biscuits on the hospitality tray were nondescript economy variety. The one packet was opened on Friday and stayed on the tray with it's remaining biscuits still in it until Monday !

Food was very good, but the dinner menu is extremely limited. Breakfast is excellent apart from the the tea which was served lukewarm and the thin sliced toast made from non-descript bread.

Walking around the grounds, we did see some lovely gardens, but again, not quite there as the formal lawn at the back of the hotel seems to have an unfinished bit , possibly thoughts of a pond being created at some point. Such a pity that what appeared to have been at one time, formal walled gardens and kitchen gardens have been left unmanaged and are currently used to house several old baths and other debris.

The coach house has been ring-fenced at some time in the past as it is derelict and falling to pieces. I believe that there were plans to demolish this derelict building to replace it with a conference suite and bedrooms.

There had been a wedding in the marquee at some time before our arrival which had not been cleared away. Some of the chairs still had covers on them, others had not and others were just in heaps on the tables. Just a mess!

Given that this is a small hotel with few staff who must multi-task, the feeling of lack of concern for the general well being of the hotel is sad.

We were checked in by a very helpful lady who showed us to our room, brought a jug of fresh milk to the room for our tea, served us pre-dinner drinks at the bar, served our meal at the table and was there at breakfast the following day. This lady called Katy definitely multi-tasked and did it very well, always polite and smiling. She is a definite asset to the team there.

Would we stay there again ? Possibly yes, but the hotel owners/ managers should realise that they have some way to go to get it right and make it a very comfortable country hotel .

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SelinaCuss, Manager at Old Rectory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you for your review. After being open for 12 years the hotel has started to be refurbished, a couple of bedrooms and the bar have been completed. We are working our way through the public areas and then onto the bedrooms but as you must appreciate especially during the summer it is very difficult with the hotel being so busy.

I am pleased you enjoyed the lovely rear gardens with its fruit trees with its original folly and the sunken garden waiting completion. With regards to the baths and mattress which we have been stored in the poly tunnel in the corner of the overspill car park are from our refurbishment and are waiting collection.

The marquee is used as a wedding/function room and is cleared up after every wedding. The tables and chairs were all in place and clean covers were placed on the chairs ready to be re-dressed for the next wedding at the weekend and the bag of laundry was packed away waiting collection, I am sorry you felt this looked messy

Sadly the coach house is in disrepair and falling down due to its age but unfortunately it can not be demolished due to it being listed but I would love to think that in the future it will be restored to its former glory!

Unfortunately we do offer a limited dinner menu on a Sunday and Monday evening but I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and breakfast. I am unsure to why your tea was lukewarm and weak and I am sure if you had said something at the time this would have been replaced.

We do try and use products to suit everyone but this isn’t always the case and I am sorry you felt some things weren’t to the standards you expected.

We are small team at the Rectory and I am pleased you found Kate to be very professional, attentive and smiley she is a very valuable member of the team along with many others.

As a privately owned family run business we pride our selves in the service we provide and try to improve where needed

Your comments have been noted and we welcome all feedback.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Great value for money for a single traveller, staff couldn't do enough for you even when they had a wedding on. Room excellent, breakfast excellent too. What a find !! Grounds lovely Bar and public rooms cosy and nice.

Room Tip: Even with a wedding on, got an excellent nights rest.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review, I am really pleased you have found us in Wem and enjoyed your stay and found the staff very helpful, I will pass your comments on.

The old Rectory Team

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Having tried a few places in Wem as I am there once a month on business I had almost given up as the previous establishments had been pretty awful. What a relief to find the Old Rectory. Lovely bedroom overlooking a quiet garden. very comfortable bed (if anything a little too soft!), free wifi (that actually worked) and one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had. I will be back next trip

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
SelinaCuss, Manager at Old Rectory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you for your review, I am really pleased you have found us in Wem and enjoyed your stay. I will pass your kind comments onto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back

The old Rectory Team

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

A lovely quiet night just what we needed. The room overlooked a lovely garden, staff were friendly, good breakfast, free wifi, all very pleasant.
15 minutes drive from the storytelling festival meant we could enjoy the day there first.
Would go again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the quiet great sleep that you needed was given!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Rectory

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I can only concur with the majority of the other reviewers....this was a gem of a find on our travels north to Llandudno and Liverpool. Upon entering the hotel we were met with a most charming and helpful receptionist who seemed genuinely pleased that we had chosen the Old Rectory for our stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the toilet facilities were equally acceptable. We chose to eat dinner out of the hotel at a local pub kindly recommended by the Receptionist.....an excellent 'call' on her part. Breakfast, in the Dining Room overlooking the garden, was particularly pleasant and both the food and service were fine. Although perhaps needing a little TLC, the hotel is both charming and welcoming and was perfect for our overnight stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wem
11.0 km away
21.6 km away
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Old Rectory Hotel? Share your experiences!