“Overrated and not worth the wait”
Review of Sushi Dai

Sushi Dai
Ranked #1 of 1,957 Restaurants in Funabashi
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 3 December 2016

Waited for nearly 4 hours and was sorely disappointed. Sushi was just all right, nothing exceptional (besides the eel) and didn't justify the long, cold wait or expensive prices.

1  Thank twiinklex

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Got here at 2:30am and was the 6th in line. The wait was worth it. The approx $40usd omakase was such an amazing deal. The toro and uni was amazing. I can see why it's such a big deal!

1  Thank itsxjackie
Reviewed 12 November 2016

It was 3:45 AM and my father and I got in an uber from the Park Hotel to the Tsukiji Fish Market Area. In hindsight, I would have left at 3:00 AM (not kidding). Like the original navigators of the sea, we also took 25 minutes to FIND the place (after asking around for a map of the market). Note that there's another restaurant called sushi dai in the area so you may get conflicting directional information like we did. Hence, leave earlier if unfamiliar. At 4:15 AM or so, we were 40 people deep in the line (which already extended around the corner). Yes, it was dark, no it was not cold. Take the opportunity to watch the fish market workers deliver and retrieve shipments to the nearby vendors (it is actually cool to watch). Bring a book, music, etc if that's not your thing or you are solo with no one to converse with. Here's how it works. There are about 12-15 seats in the restaurant. The seating lasts roughly 35/45 minutes. So, depending on when you get there and how many people are ahead of you; you can typically CALCULATE when specifically you will be seated (based on that revolving seating information provided above). Was it worth the wait? Yes. Did I go for the budget? No. I wanted great sushi, regardless of price or wait & as it turns out; the adventure itself lies in the journey to a seat here at Sushi Dai. They give you hot green tea as you wait; and provide umbrellas if it rains. They humbly appreciate your business, aside from all the success. Keep an open mind; and you will be fine. Would I return? Yes. The only thing i'd change is that I would leave earlier!

Reviewed 3 November 2016

Yes, the queue is long, the crowd is large and the waiting time is forever. BUT! This is a must go restaurant! Came the last time, but chose another place coz we were short on time. This time round, we went for it, and ended up waiting for nearly 2 hours! When we managed to get a place, the atmosphere was magic! Typical sushi bar with small seating and very little room to walk. The chefs were friendly, understood English and were jovial amongst themselves too. Then came the sushi set, and by far the best combination of sushi I've ever tasted. Everything was super fresh, not oily, and had absolutely stunning taste! We spent about 30 minutes ordering as much as we can eat, and overall it was indeed one of the best if not the best sushi restaurant I've ever been, without breaking the bank!

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

1) First of all, the sushi was great. The staff were all friendly and nice. Everything was explained and we were given the best hospitality. No doubts about it. Its better than any sushi i have had in my country or the US. In japan, it has more they put thought into the sushi than conventional sushi restaurants. However, as to quality of fish, honestly - i couldn't tell the difference and if it is better then just a bit ( although that can make a world of difference.) Also, we had the younger chef taking care of us - we noticed a few sushi rice break apart as not tight enough. ( we eat a lot with our chopsticks. ) We just adjusted and used our hands but i think he noticed and adjusted as well. We were quite hungry and he was pcing the sushi for us which i thought was thoughtful. Try to sit in front of the older chef if you can, in our visit he was skillfully taking care of severn tokyo u med students at one time. PS: please try the sperm of cod. The toro was cut thin so just be adventurous.
2) My wife and i woke up 2 am and walked to the location and got there 230. We were already 11th and 12th on the line. Suprisingly, in the first batch was all Japanese except for us. (From the reviews, this is very rare nowadays - to my delight) they let in a 13th japanese lady which surprised me because i thought there were only 12 seats. ( If you go alone and you are the 13-15th or between big groups you might get in the 1st batch) By 3 am, alot of disappointed fellow foreigners realize theyre in the 2nd batch and so on. By 5 am we were relieved to have been seated.
3) We finished in 30 mins and honestly, we were proud to have taken the challenge to be in the first batch. Would we come back and do it again? No,this is a once in a lifetime experience. We feel the journey was the more important than the finish line. We will never forget the experience

Thank Don Gabriel Oli... C