Lowest prices for your stay
US$714
Free cancellation until 03/02/22
PricelineUS$755
CheapTicketsUS$714
eDreamsUS$459
All reviews japan sea ryokan peninsula noto hospitality establishment
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 September 2019 via mobile

This hotel has been my bucket list. Overall for the value with the money I would say it was pretty good.

Stayed for 2 nights so could properly chill and enjoy the osen.

Yes the facility is old but it is well maintained. I booked seaview room with western style beds. The size of room is big for Japanese standard.

Dinner for the 2 nights were pretty outstanding with seasonable food. My mum doesn’t eat a lot of raw fish but tuna and salmon, they managed to accommodated well.

Then osen area is big enough to accommodate the number of guests.

Our room attendant Waka-san is very friendly and nice.

Overall it is Japan I do not agree that the staff need to speak amazing English although it would be useful if the hotel can provide more language training for their staff.

It was my birthday the hotel arrange quite touching and thoughtful surprises! Very much appreciate it.

Fully enjoyed the Takarazuka show! It was totally worth the money’

One nicest surprise is the bartender Suto-san. A young guy who barely speaks English (no English menus for the bar too), but he made some of most amazing cocktails compared to some of well famous cocktails bars I have visited around the world. He was definitely a rare gem! He was very good and some how managing communicate with me.

Overall a lovely stay!

Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 9 February 2019 via mobile

Being the third time there, it surely did not disappoint.

For a Ryokan, I think the three most important factors are service, food and onsen. Usually a ryokan with one outstanding aspect is fine, with two is good, with three is phenomenal and almost impossible. Fortunately if you want to taste the authentic feeling of Japanese ryokan, you now have a chance. To be honest, after visiting more than 100+ Ryokan in 30+ onsen regions, sometimes you just get tired as you always got disappointed. There is quite a lot of Ryokan put there with good food, onsen and facilities, yet I havent found anyone could beat Kagaya in service.

Though the initial arrangement seems a bit confused and mixed up for me, they soon recovered and got back to the right track. You will be greeted and introduced by the room attendant assigned to you( remember to request for your language if you dont speak Japanese like me) the numerous facilities around. Serving tea, choosing yukata and routines like this will surely be carried out. Though-out your stay, the attendant would try her best to make you feel hone, I once asked for natto which is unusual at the region and got one eventually, still not knowing how she did it. In brief, they could make you feel home.

For the food, its simply good, fresh and well-presented. And the attendant could advise what to drink along with the seasonal dishes.

As for onsen, they houses a superb panoramic sea view open air onsen and also several other onsen like the ebisu and drinking fountain. For me, it is one of the best onsen along with the one in Shirahama, Kusatsu and Noboribetsu.

Even the LaFerrari got its own backfire, Kagaya got its own as well. Being remoted at Noto area, it is not easy to reach as it takes around 4 hours( normally)/3 hours( Ferrarily). The price may be another obstacle for sone of the people. And also there is quite a lot of renovation being done now and more rooms are changed to restaurant based. (My favourite Kushiyaki shop is sacrificed) Please be careful when you choose your room and meal and be reminded to confirm with your travel secretary beforehand.

After-all, though the room arrangement is a bit confused at the moment, the overall experience is still unaffected. Hope the arrangement could improve next time I get back. And it would be my sincere recommendation if you want to taste the authentic japanese ryokan experience.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2018

Was pretty overrated. Old hotel. Assistant hostess was miserable (can see from her body language) and she couldn’t speak english. If she hates her job she shouldn’t work as a hostess... We were a big group but still though..got much better service from other normal hotels. Getting food was extremely limited. Unless you are japanese it is quite boring here apart from the onsen. Food was overrated and consisted of raw fishes every night. (No variation or choice).

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank deflair
kagayagrp, 支配人 at Kagaya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2019

Dear deflair

Thank you and your family for having come and stayed with us.
I deeply apologize for having not been able to meet your expectations.
I understand there are still much to get improved our service quality by conducting retraining program.
Regarding to communication problem, we also understand to reduce language barrier as soon as possible as we are expecting more foreign guests to come for the Olympic game taken place in 2020.
It is not easy to have all bilingual staffs in every departments, but we try to get many enough bilingual staffs in the positions contacting guests.
For the service quality of room attendant, we will put this particular room attendant in re-training program and make her realize what she needs to do to make the guests happier.
Lastly, it is sometimes very difficult for us to change the menu on the day of your request for menu change. It would be much appreciated to give us advance notice for menu change.
Once again we are very sorry for not to make your stay as you expected.
Warm regards,

Koji Fujimori
Kagaya General Manager

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Kagaya surely deserves its position as top ryokan in Japan. Service is by the book, an traditional style.

Although it is a very large property hosting tour groups as well as business groups in a complex of buildings that feel more like a cruise ship, the standards of service snd the quality if meals are totally top notch.

The women’s baths are adequate, although they may feel a little crowded at times. I hear the men’s baths, spread over 3 floors, are impressive. My son was totally amused to be riding its elevator where all occupants are in the nude!

Kagaya made the other properies we stayed at afterwards feel cheap and tacky in comparison, especially in terms of meals.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
kagayagrp, 支配人 at Kagaya, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Dear Joo Li C

Thank you and your family for having come and stayed with us.

We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience here.
Your positive impression will be shared with all of our staffs in KAGAYA hotel.
Hope we could serve you again in near future.

Warm regards,
KAGAYA Manager
Takao Tejima

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Kagaya Wakura, Ryokan Onsen. The service was impressive. The staff was so friendly and very accommodating. They picked us up at the train station with a welcome sign. They had our Nation and our Heritage flags on display in front of the hotel upon our arrival. They even had small table top flags in our rooms. This was a very welcoming touch. All of our meals were traditional Japanese Kaiseki style in our room. We had our own personal attendant. They provide everyone with a traditional Yukata. Everyone where’s them around the hotel. This is a great getaway location when visiting Kanazawa. They had traditional onsen. The hotel is over 111 years old, but still in good shape and very clean. If you want to experience a traditional Japanese style hotel with impeccable service this is the place.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
kagayagrp, 支配人 at Kagaya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

Dear Steven A

We are glad to hear that you had a nice experience in here. Also, thank you for taking your time to share it with us.
We will tell our staffs about your comment, and it will be a great compliment to them.
Then, we look forward to welcoming you in near future.

Takao Tejima