“Nothing special”

Ranked #21 of 260 Restaurants in Almada
Cuisines: Portuguese, Seafood, Grill
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The "Farol" is a century-old restaurant, the oldest in Setubal and is known for good beer and good seafood, from their own aquariums. With a cozy atmosphere and a great ''Tejo'' river and Lisbon's view, it's a great place to be.The name "Farol" came from the lighthouse's existence in Cacilhas who once helped navigation of small boats,called "Cacilheiros".Cacilheiros are an easy transport to lots of people in Lisbon to the other side of the Tagus river. You can combine the great tour with the excelence to be able to lunch or dinner in Cacilhas and taste our fish or seafood.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Trap for tourists. A big place with no personality. The menu represents this lack of personality. Something I didn't like at all was that we ordered and they served us with all the dishes after few minutes: it's clear that it isn't fresh food or at least not cooked at the moment.
We paid around €50 to have a €45 menu shared, a small beer, a small bottle of still water. When paying the waiter ask to me if I wanted to leave a tip and I left €2 because I was too embarassed to say "no" but I found it pretty rude to ask because imho it is the client who decides if leave something.
Toilets where clean at least.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

You would think that a restaurant covered in English words with hundreds of Tripadvisor badges all over the place would be a mediocre tourist trap and in this case you would be right. Staff nice but food poor and prices on the high side.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

My hotel recommended the whole trip to see the Cristo Rei monument and threw in a restaurant recommendation for good measure.

That is how I ended up in Farol, hot, bothered and hungry.
Remember, when they put the basket of cheese, butter and sardine patés and bread down in front of you, you will be charged for everything you eat. It is tasty, but it will actually ruin your appetite. I never thought I would give this kind of "old lady" advice. But it's true.

I ordered chopitos and beans. The chopitos are like deep friend squid pieces. In some places they are breaded. The beans are kidney beans which have been only very lightly seasoned. The overall effect is filling but very discreet. No flavour dominates. For dessert, I had "Baba de Camelo". I don't speak Portuguese, but in Spanish this translates as "Camel´s Spit". When it arrived down to the table, it was brown and slightly frothy and it cross my mind that it could be camel's spit or something worse... but, I was hungry, and I was taught not to waste food, so I dug in. The texture was just as I imagined, but it wasn't the worst dessert I've tried.

The price was a little more expensive than I'd been counting on... but actually the portion size was big... maybe more than I needed. I'm starting to think that most dishes in Portugal could almost be shared between two people.

I found the restaurant clean, efficient and it was hopping! With locals (and a few tourists).

Maybe you can find a better place, if you walk around ask, but Farol will save you a lot of time and effort. It is just in front of the Ferry Terminal.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

we hade a good meal, the food was freash and tasty, the price was 54 euro for two, and is was more that we can handle.
with one lobster, one full crab, hot mulls, hot garlic shrimps, and big prawn, the pkace was nice, in front of the sea, nice view.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

We caught the ferry to ensure that we would be able to watch the sun set while eating dinner. Looked like mostly locals were eating here and the waiter was wonderful in telling us what was fresh and what we should stay away from.

The atmosphere was a little bit cafeteria looking, but with great food and service, coupled with a window table for the sunset, it was a nice way to end our stay in Lisbon.