“Didn't live up to the marketing....”
Review of The Kings Arms Inn - CLOSED

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Kings Arms is now closed
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We visited for Sunday lunch for my mother's birthday in early Dec, tempted by the idea of hog roast which the website gave the impression was served every Sunday. Perhaps we should have confirmed this when we made our table reservation, but when we arrived it wasn't on the menu. Waitress said it wasn't every week, and that we should have checked when booking. Food took ages to arrive (the elder less patient members of our party were getting very fidgety indeed!), though was nice enough. Decor traditional pub - nothing special, and a bit chilly. Wouldn't rush back. Not sure whether to rate it a 3 or 4. Since visiting, I've received regular email news from the pub, and now gather the owners have retired and the chef has taken over running the place - hopefully the service problems have been ironed out, and hog roast is now a weekly feature! Preferred the Green Room down the road.

Reviewed 5 January 2009

Six of us went to the Kings Arms for their 'Credit Crunch Brunch' on New Year's Day 2009.
After arriving on time at 1 p.m. we placed our order for food . We then waited for an hour and ten minutes for some food to appear.
I had ordered American pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup, followed by smoked salmon and scrambled egg.
A plate of joke pancakes arrived: tiny, thin as paper, like out of a tube of Pringles, and a few pieces of undercooked floppy bacon, and a smear of maple syrup. I have not seen the like. I had to eat it as I had not had anything to eat all day and it was now 2.15 p.m., late enough for breakfast. Then I had a muffin, no butter, with some scraps of smoked salmon with the most disgusting looking scrambled egg, crumbly, a bit grey, and tasteless. The others' meals were similarly bad. We were persuaded to have some coffee, which was cold.
There was no heating on in the pub other than some open fires in the next room some way away, and there were cold draughts; I noticed another table had a convector heater rushed to them. We asked for the bill. This arrived quoting 4 or 5 desserts – none of which we had had. I queried this, and the manager came out to argue with me.

We had obviously got someone else’s bill, and table, and I expect they had paid our bill. As we were frozen and tired, it was now gone 3 p.m. we paid up and fled.

Not a happy start to the New Year. 2009 can only get better.

1  Thank Sussex