The Lion Hotel
  • Restaurant
The George Hotel(Huntingdon)
The Old Bridge(Huntingdon)
View Hotel
Nags Head Hotel(St Neots)
The Manor(Alconbury)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfour poster bednice villagecoaching innthe pubhuge bathroomst neotssloping floorsfriendly hotelan evening meallots of characterlick of paintsunday lunchfish and chipstwin rooman enjoyable staybit datedgrafham water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely, friendly, stay, the rooms are lovely modern, clean,the breakfasts are tasty, plenty of choice, a great choice of meals, the staff are so friendly, nothing is to much trouble, I will be stay again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Kevan P, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to having you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The staff here were lovely- friendly and helpful.
Room ok- bed comfortable and although room basic, it was hard to find faults.

The breakfast was ok- could have been really lovely.
The jam and marmalade selection really awful. I’ve never understood why certain places have cheap, tasteless options....and no marmite!

Had lunch the day before which was ok.

Some interesting guys propping up the bar- the swearing was really bad and some their ‘banter’ regarding sexuality was bordering on homophobic.

I really hope the new landlord and his partner succeed here- they seem lovely but there are just a few things that need addressing

Good luck!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo

Good afternoon and thank you for your review of The Lion, It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope we can welcome you back again in the near future. I have passed on the comments about the Jam and Marmalade to the Head chef and he is looking at alternatives for us, We are also looking at small portions of Marmite and possibly Nutella too.

with regards to your comments about our breakfast and Lunch, may I ask if you can possibly contact me, manager@thelionbuckden.com to discuss this further with me as generally the feedback of our food is excellent.

With regards to the "guys" you mention propping up the bar, these people have been identified by our CCTV system and I can assure you that they will be spoken with about their "banter" and homophobic comments. It is totally unacceptable and something which we do not promote or tolerate.

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I am sorry to say that I was extremely disappointed with the last time I visited this pub. My parents live in Buckden and I was a resident but have since moved away to university. I regularly visit when I’m back with my family or friends, and was appalled by my experience of the new management.

I went first in the evening on Sunday 11th March when I was served by (I’m assuming) the new manager. I found his manner surprisingly abrupt considering there were only three guests in. I felt as though I was a real inconvenience in his evening. Not even a smile! Anyway, people have bad day so I let it be. However myself and my friend had one pint and sought out friendlier atmospheres in the Vine!

A few days later and I went back for a lunchtime pint with my father. It was again very quiet, and there was only a few staff on which were all lovely. However when I went to buy my round a little later the female bartender was busying herself in the restaurant- not a problem I didn’t mind the wait, I know it’s not always easy to immediately see staff and I wasn’t going to ring a bell as though she was a dog for a two minute wait.

The manager (who I am now informed is called Kevan) walked out of the office, noted I was stood at the bar clearly waiting with no one there and he sundered past me into the kitchen and proceeded to talk with some staff. I thought this rude seeing as I was clearly waiting for service. What was worse was about five minutes later he reemerged, looked to see I was STILL stood waiting and then walked past into the office again. I was shocked. I turned to my Dad who had also noted this in disbelief.

The lovely bartender noted I was waiting a bit later and was all apology (which was fine I don’t mind waiting knowing she didn’t know). I was however so angry that again this man had acted as though I was an inconvenience and I was ignored. Unbelievable. The lady was completely accommodating but her manager - who I would expect to scrub in to the same standard as his staff - was simply appalling.

I’m afraid I will be thinking twice about coming here in future which is a shame considering it is my local. I would suggest the owners of this pub consider some customer service training of this gentleman. Having read other reviews on here which seem to offer reasonable feedback are greeted with defensive statements, I am not expecting healthy acknowledgement.

A real shame.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Anna P

Thank you for your review and the points you make, We will take everything on board that you have said. We take complaints like this very seriously as customer service is a big thing in our industry and it disappoints us to here that we have failed, I note that you are a regular and that you “love that pub” but are extremely disappointed by me and my actions, a complaint never before made against me in 22 years in the industry. the next time you are back in the village, pop in and ask for me and let’s sit down and discuss this face to face, let me buy you a drink and see if we can sort our differences of opinion.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

The room was dirty, the bathroom grubby. The food was quite awful and when i saw two restaurant staff outside having a cigarette and one coughing his head off, it should have been a warning.
Avoid this place

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bill W
Kevan P, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel albeit very untrue and misleading. We have a smoking area for staff which is totally hidden from all customers and away from the main areas of the hotel. Secondly, we do not have any male restaurant staff that smoke and lastly, looking back at our bookings, I can’t seem to be able to find anyone with the name Bill W or William W having ever stayed with us. When all guests leave the hotel they are asked by myself or my deputy if they enjoyed their stay, This was an ideal opportunity to bring up any issues, may I ask, why wasn’t it brought up at this stage? This, I believe, is because you haven’t stayed with us at all. Meantime, I have reported this review to trip advisor. If you have booked under a different name then please contact me on: manager@thelionbuckden.com and I will only be to happy to remove my response and discuss any issues you may have had whilst staying at the hotel.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Great room immaculately clean, very friendly staff, nice atmosphere, easy parking, the food was fantastic, good breakfast, great selection of drinks, an all round great stay. An absolute bargain for two Nights.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Kevan P, General Manager at The Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us sometime in the near future.