Hamby Resort
US$250
US$111
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Breakfast included
Seaside Hotel The Beach(Chatan-cho)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$80
Rakuten Travel
  • Restaurant
US$72
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Breakfast included
Ryokan
Hotel Sunset Terrace(Chatan-cho)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$57
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Rinken's Hotel(Chatan-cho)
All reviewsminute walkamerican villagecottagemattresstvluggageshowerairport
Reviewed 4 February 2016

The room is very basic--bed, coffee table, lamp stand. It did have a flat screen TV with about 6 Japanese stations. The floor is linoleum and was stained. There was something running down one of the walls. The bed was a bit firm, but comfortable enough. In order to get to the bathroom, you have to walk in an exterior, but covered walkway. The decking was wet when raining. The exterior doors are never locked and often standing open. It was in the 50's when I was there, so it was quite cold in the walkways and the unheated bathroom. The bathroom had two stalls and two locking showers. I think the bathroom was the nicest part of the stay. They had a free washer and paid dryer. The lobby had a table for playing cards and two computers. They also had a small kitchen for guest use.
A lot of things went wrong the last day of my stay. The heater in my room stopped working. The hotel staff offered to allow me to move rooms, but initially I declined. After deciding that would be a good idea, the front desk was closed (it closes at 11:00 pm). As a result, I couldn't change rooms, nor could I get extra blankets.
I used the washer and dryer on site. I dried my clothes for an hour (3-20 minute cycles at 100 Yen each) and they came out still wet.
Finally, as I was attempting to wash up in the morning, there was no water in the bathroom. I left at 10:00 AM and the front desk was still not open. It would have been nice to get some of the yen back I wasted on the dryer and the broken heater.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2015

I stayed here by myself for 6 days in a single room. The hotel or what I would probably call a hostel was relatively easy to get to and I managed to catch the bus from the airport directly there. Once I got there the hotel was relatively easy to find as they have put up a few signs to direct the way once you get there. Staff at the reception desk were very friendly and gave me a tour of the place. The lady I spoke to also spoke quite good English. I had to pay upfront and especially as I was visiting in golden week it was very cheap. The room itself was very clean and had all the basics including a bed, a bedside table, a coffee table but it also had a TV, DVD player and an air conditioning unit. The AC unfortunately is coin operated and costs 100 yen for 4 hours and 500 yen for 24 hours. However I found that 4 hours was sufficient during my stay as you can stop and restart the timer as you desire. There is no room cleaning service but you can collect clean towels as and when you wish and there are also washing machines available to use for free including detergent. There are separate male and female shower rooms, each containing two normal toilets (no holes in the ground!) and they also have two mirror stations in which there is a hairdryer to use as well as free mouthwash, razors, toothbrush, combs, cotton buds and shampoo and conditioner available to use. There is also a communal kitchen in which there is free rice and eggs available. You can also store any food that you have bought in the fridge. During my visit I accidently brought the wrong adaptor with me and the staff were kind enough to lend me a phone charger. The hotel is located near a few restaurants including a McDonalds and has two main supermarkets nearby: the drug store and hamby town. I would definitely recommend that you walk a bit further to hamby town for food shopping as it is cheaper and there is more variety. The hotel is also a 5 minute walk away from Araha beach and about a 10-15 minute walk from Mihama American Village and Sunset beach. Unfortunately I personally did not like either of the beaches as I felt they looked very man-many with imported grainy sand. The netted swimming areas were are also quite small at both beaches. There are definitely some nicer beaches on the island. Nevertheless, I would recommend hotel hamby to other travellers on a budget as it is really great value for money and has everything you need.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Harriet P
Reviewed 6 April 2015

I used this hotel for one night to stay near Chatan. I didn't really expect but it turned out the stay in hotel was very convenient. Its bath rooms are well made. I liked there are places to keep my luggage inside of shower room. The cover for sleeping is very convenient. The receptionist Ms. Kamiji is very friendly and helpful. Regular customer in this hostel as well very friendly and fun. I just stayed a night but wanted to stay longer. The place is also nice. It si near beach and near American village. It is easy to access some shopping places as well. I recommend this place !

Room Tip: Friendly and functional hostel
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank watsuko
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Close to beach, as well as Mikes Tex Mex and Bovino's restaurants. Super clean, separate communal bathrooms. Pay for AC, 500 ¥ for 24 hours, cooled down the room. Internet available. We enjoyed our one night stay. If you are exploring Okinawa on a budget this is a decent stop for a night or two.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 6 June 2012

For the traveler on a budget, or the person interested in a long term stay , i highly recommend the Hamby Resort. Although the name includes the term "resort" make no mistake about it, theres nothing "resort like" about Hamby. It is a simple Travel Inn, with very basic rooms, and facilities.

They have both a dormitory style option as well as a standard private room option.

Location: Located in the heart of the Chatan area and a block away from the very beautiful Araha beach, the location is outstanding, and convenient. there are numerous shops, bars and restaurants all within walking distance. 5-10 Mins from Camp Foster Marine Corps base

Facilities: Basic Small lobby area with check in counter and staff office, Community Kitchen area with TV dining table, and full kitchen ( you are allowed to keep items in the refrigerator) and make meals as you wish. ****ATTENTION*** the toilets, Shower areas in this facility are community style, the rooms do not have individual private toilets. The toilets are Japanese style
Benjo toilets. keep this in mind if you are not accustomed to Asian style toilets, or if you prefer private toilet/shower facilities. There is a main bldg the Travel Inn area and there is also a separate "cottage style' section closer to the beach.

Staff: friendly and helpful, most staff speak very little english, basic Japanese communication skills would be helpful.

Rooms: The rooms are basic and small (10X6?), A twin size bed Tatami straw matress, or thing cushion style , TV , nightstand and AC unit. the rooms are small and have one window . The rooms are set up for sleeping , not entertaining.

Price: 20-30$ a night with special rates for long time stays

Internet: the Lobby area has a PC with internet access. WIFI works sometimes, but dont count on it.

They have a website for booking, and a facebookpage, Just google Hamby resort in English

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo