“Don't Miss This”

Heart of Burren Walks
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Kilfenora
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We were lucky enough to catch a tour with Tony before he shuts down for the season. He is a true Renascence Man with a command of flora, fauna, geology and sweet Irish poetry. Tony tailored our walk along the coast so we had the best of sea and land. The walk is short in distance on uneven ground. It was chilly and wet so I recommend sturdy shoes that can take some mud and warm water proof cloths. We learned a lot about the region but more than anything were completely enchanted by the man and his love for the land and his culture.

1  Thank Lydia V
in 8 reviews
"aran islands"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 1 September 2017

My daughter and I joined "The Heart of the Burren Walk" on a Saturday morning after days of rain and on our second day in Ireland! We had perfect weather for this walk through the Burren but the ground was wet and slippery in some places. No worries, as Tony provided walking sticks which we needed and appreciated. Recommend you wear good walking shoes. Tony is so friendly and engaging. He is knowledgeable and passionate about the Burren and its habitat. His walk included pointing out fauna and flowers which are unique to the Burren as well as those we would be familiar with, and he also mentioned their medicinal qualities. I particularly enjoyed learning about the history of the Burren to include how the Irish people lived in this area. Tony shared about the geology, geography, political history, religion, and future of this distinctive region in Ireland. I felt like I had gotten an unique glimpse into the Burren, and I would plan to take another walk offered by Tony in the future. Oh, yes I also enjoyed it when he recited a poem during some of our stops along the walk.

2  Thank bjwvm
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I was quite disappointed that Tonry Kirby was unavailable for the walk but he recommended Michael Killeen and he was excellent. Michael was extremely knowledgeable, good humored, and patient. He also knows about plants and their medicinal qualities. I was on the Burren about 40 years ago and did not really know what I was seeing. Michael explained it all in about two and a half hours. Wear comfortable hiking shoes that might get wet. We joined several other people including a couple with children. The more the merrier.

1  Thank FnuLnu
Reviewed 23 August 2017

My daughter and I loved our tour with Tony who explained the geology, archeology, social and political history as well as the flora and fauna of this unique area with data and humor. The walk is relatively easy and the sights are so much better appreciated when trekking with Tony who has a passion for the Burren. We appreciated all his answers to our questions and kept us engaged the whole time!

1  Thank Vickie K