“The Secrets of the Burren unlocked by Tony”

Heart of Burren Walks
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Kilfenora
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We arrived in the Burren and planned ahead to have a private tour with Tony. We were so glad that we did. In two and a half hours Tony explained the history, ecology, flora and people of the Burren, whilst walking us through the landscape and did this so engagingly, entertainingly and thoroughly that we completely forgot about the drops of rain on our heads. It is a testament to Tony's throughness and ability to communicate so well that we hardly needed to read any Burren noticeboards because Tony had linked it all so well together for us that we retained his teaching in our heads. We highly recommend this for the start of your stay in the Burren. Do take good walking shoes for the session, as the limestone is slippery under water.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"aran islands"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Not just a guide, Tony is a combination of historian, poet, entertainer, expert on flora and fauna, spellbinder of the Burren. He brings to life all the seasons that befall the area and brings those climates to you no matter what the weather of the day is. It is essential to visit the Burren and it is essential that Tony guide you through its beauty and history.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We were lucky enough to catch a tour with Tony before he shuts down for the season. He is a true Renascence Man with a command of flora, fauna, geology and sweet Irish poetry. Tony tailored our walk along the coast so we had the best of sea and land. The walk is short in distance on uneven ground. It was chilly and wet so I recommend sturdy shoes that can take some mud and warm water proof cloths. We learned a lot about the region but more than anything were completely enchanted by the man and his love for the land and his culture.

1  Thank Lydia V
Reviewed 1 September 2017

My daughter and I joined "The Heart of the Burren Walk" on a Saturday morning after days of rain and on our second day in Ireland! We had perfect weather for this walk through the Burren but the ground was wet and slippery in some places. No worries, as Tony provided walking sticks which we needed and appreciated. Recommend you wear good walking shoes. Tony is so friendly and engaging. He is knowledgeable and passionate about the Burren and its habitat. His walk included pointing out fauna and flowers which are unique to the Burren as well as those we would be familiar with, and he also mentioned their medicinal qualities. I particularly enjoyed learning about the history of the Burren to include how the Irish people lived in this area. Tony shared about the geology, geography, political history, religion, and future of this distinctive region in Ireland. I felt like I had gotten an unique glimpse into the Burren, and I would plan to take another walk offered by Tony in the future. Oh, yes I also enjoyed it when he recited a poem during some of our stops along the walk.

2  Thank bjwvm
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I was quite disappointed that Tonry Kirby was unavailable for the walk but he recommended Michael Killeen and he was excellent. Michael was extremely knowledgeable, good humored, and patient. He also knows about plants and their medicinal qualities. I was on the Burren about 40 years ago and did not really know what I was seeing. Michael explained it all in about two and a half hours. Wear comfortable hiking shoes that might get wet. We joined several other people including a couple with children. The more the merrier.

1  Thank FnuLnu