Green Park Hotel(Mercogliano)
Villa Amalia(Avellino)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$53
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 November 2015 via mobile

Friendly staff with nice, clean rooms. We had dinner in the restaurant and food was nice and fairly priced. Buffet breakfast was croissants, yogurts, breads and tea and coffee. In a small town which is pretty with nice restaurants. Good for price. Wifi didn't work in room but worked in doorway so no problem.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2015 via mobile

Nice place, helpful staff, very reasonable price. Excellent dinner in hotel's restaurant.
Not far to Naples, Vesuvio and famous vineyards - Feudi di San Gregorio and Mastroberardino.
Great thanks!
Ready to recommend!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2014

I booked this hotel through Expedia and paid £38.00 for room and breakfast for two adults and a child. I couldn't be happier with the choice. We arrived after a very long day, having driven from Rome, walked around Pompei and had a wild drive through the back streets of the small towns around the Bay of Naples.

It was an easy drive to Avellino from Pompei, then up the mountain to Ospedaletto d'Alpinolo. I didn't have a map of the area and the hotel was still easy to find. The drive from Avellino is easy and short - really just a few minutes. If you book a hotel in an Italian mountain village, be prepared to drive up an Italian mountain.

When we arrived, the manager (who spoke excellent English) was very welcoming. We were offered a drink we went off to find our room. The room was simple, spacious and clean, with a great view. The bathroom was clean and functional, with a good shower. The room had Sky tv too. As we were very tired, we chose to have dinner in the hotel. At 16 Euros each for three courses of good simple food, we were very happy. Breakfast was very nice: croissants, bread, ham, cheese, nutella, coffee and yogurt. All the staff we met were kind and helpful. We were only there for one night, as we had to go back to Rome. In all, bed, dinner and breakfast for three, plus wine and beer for two cost me £96.00 or thereabouts. An excellent place in a lovely location and I would go back tomorrow if I didn't need to be at work.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank James M
Reviewed 7 October 2014

I have struggled to find something good to say about the Royal Hotel Montevirgine it lacks so much. We arrived fairly late and it was very kind of them to open the kitchen to feed us after a long day, but I'm afraid that's where my positivity stops. (actually I should say that the girls behind the desk at reception spoke some English and helped us where possible. Also the waiter in the restaurant was always trying to please and, even though he didn't appear to enjoy his job, he pressed on through to give us the best service that he could).

We were shown to our room that had been booked as a double room. There were two mattresses on our bed with a great big gap down the centre that was very uncomfortable. The room was literally falling apart and the toilet had no seat. Drawer space was nonexistent and we had a tiny wardrobe between us with half a dozen hangers. (see photos)

We were to tired to complain on the first night. It had been a long day's travel and we didn't want to moan. In the morning we told the management that we were not happy with the room and, to their credit, they agreed to move us to a room to suit us. There was no room immediately available so we went out for the day and left the staff to move our still packed luggage to the new room. The new room was on the second floor and, although still fairly sparse, was a lot better than our first offering.

On the evening of the second day we were asked if we would like a drink from the bar. This seemed like a great idea until we tried to order anything. No gin, vodka or whisky...no mixers. We ordered a bottle of wine at 14 Euros and were pleasantly surprised with it. This was a real disappointment as the hotel is very isolated in the hills and finding anything outside of the hotel was virtually impossible. Seriously folks, anything that we did find locally was closed. We were very lucky to have a car, although driving up the mountain every night was very tiresome.

The hotel's website plays a lot on the fact that it has a hot tub and massage facilities. When we asked about this we were told that it wasn't available as they were changing the water. The hot tub can be used (when available) for a maximum of 30 minutes at a cost of five Euros per person. Massages can be booked with enough notice at a cost of 15 Euros per person. We never saw either of these facilities so I cannot comment on their quality.

We ate in the evening twice. The food here is very ordinary. The menu needed to be translated for us as it is written in Italian only and, as it is a fixed menu, we needed to know what was on offer. The gentleman who appeared to be the maitre d'hotel made a valiant effort on both occasions although there are only so many ways to say pasta!

Breakfast consists of a few croissants and some day old bread. There were some cornflake type things in a bowl on one morning, but no way to eat them. When we asked the sad but helpful waiter how we were supposed to sample these we were given a coffee mug to put them in.

Outside the hotel at the front are a few metal chairs and a table for anyone who wants to sit outside and enjoy a coffee and a cigarette. Also a small awning in case of rain. Not very comfortable, in fact I have to say extremely basic.

When I asked how old this hotel is I was astonished. Seven years. It is very dated and we had thought that it was an old refurbished building from the fifties or sixties. The interior needs a total makeover. Tired chairs with threadbare covers, fixtures and fittings from a forgotten era, pictures on the walls from Ikea (at least they appeared that way). It's a shame really. The building is not unattractive and with some effort could be pleasantly welcoming. As it is, it is cold and uncomfortable. The reception area has a couple of leather sofas and armchairs scattered randomly. There is a large TV in the corner which needs to be housed nicely instead of hanging on the wall with wires dangling down to a Sky box on a sparse metal table. It just feels like there has been no effort made to make the place appealing to guests.

I hope that the management do read this review as it would be interesting to know if they take it as constructive criticism. I have written it as I saw it. I waited nearly a week before putting my thoughts into words so that my experience would not reflect my mood when I came back.

Never on the decent into Gatwick have I felt so relieved to be home.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms facing into the valley on the road side seem to be the better rooms here.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank haydnhart
Royal75, Responsabile reception at Royal Hotel Montevergine, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

You did a wrong review! You should have to make a review about your travel agency that you "stealed" 100 euros per night in a three stars hotel.

Dear Customer,
you didn't like our hotel because you paid 100 € per night to your travel agency. Agency bought the same room at 39€ per night, trought a famous internet portal. So you expectation was greater, as if our hotel had 5 stars.
Our receptionists explained you wich was the problem but review would have be for the travel agency!
We didn't appreciate our availability and kindness, typical dishes and the change of the room of 39 € with another one that costs more, without that you paid extra. Before you write, you shoul have inform you!
You should have apologize with us!

Reviewed 3 October 2014

This was a very colonial feeling hotel - the rooms were ample with lovely balcony views over the wide valley. The other guests seemed to be mostly other Italians from Naples and Rome so they were not used to English speakers! This led to some amusing difficulties in communication. I usually book a hotel with a pool so was a bit disappointed to discover that the beatiful blue water above is a hot tub. It was a lovely experience to have a indro massagio (I think) quite a few times but still not the pool I naively expected! It was very cheap for a continental breakfast but was relatively expensive for meals. Of course we were spoiled at the other local resaurant we found.

Room Tip: We were near the lift which could be noisy at peak times but there was also a noise of chairs scraping across floors above! Might be best to get atop floor room with a lovely view over the valley. However there were very effective modern shutters which kept out the morning sun and any noise from village.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple