See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2014

I stayed in Hotel Ritschlay with four colleages for one night during an exploratory field research campaign in the nearby Beaufort - Reisdorf area in Luxembourg. Since we were out working in the field all day, all we needed was an affordable hotel nearby, with a good hearthy breakfast to get us started in the morning Hotel Ritschlay met these requirements very well. The proprietor was very friendly and the breakfast (included in the room price) was very good and extensive, especially for Northern European standards, with made-to-order eggs, an extensive choice of excellent bread and cereals.

The atmosphere of the hotel was very rustic, 70's style German. Those fellow Europeans who know the television series Derrick know what I mean. Rooms and hotel were spotlessly clean, but the single rooms we had were quite basic: small, with a single bed, a wooden desk and chair and a small t.v. For us this was perfect, but if you're looking for space and modern styling, this might not be your place. Then again, if you like an authentic old-fashioned atmosphere and don't mind the smaller room size, it is very nice indeed and most definitely beats the inspirationless decoration of the normal chain hotels that I stay in too often on business trips.

Date of stay: August 2014
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Boris J
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel, run by mother and son, is located in the hills (the roads are quite steep!), not near the river, just outside the village next to the youth hostel. The hotel hasn't been refurbished since the eighties or so, but the rooms are a good size, everything functions well, the owners are friendly and helpful and breakfast is good. We didn't try dinner but we heard from other visitors that it was good. We preferred to go to nearby Echternach (in Luxemburg).
In the garden is a great terrace with wonderful views over the area. The small kiddy pool hasn't been used in years and is a little filthy but everything else in the garden is well preserved.

The hotel is mainly used by hikers and the friendly owners like to give advice on where to go, what to see and can provide you with maps etc.

Room tip: Our room at the end of the hallway was just fine.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Being a vegetarian I didn't expect much in Germany, but this hotel went out of its way to please me with original and delicious food. The sauna was perfect and we even could assist a yoga session and join. The room was ok too. The view was great and the surrounding forests ideal for walks. The owner greatly helped us planning our walks.

Room tip: Room on the corner first floor is very spacious.. Do try the sauna!
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Ritschlay in August, 2011, (actually), on a solo trip to Germany and Luxembourg. The proprietor was connected with the travel industry and he is well versed in the needs of the traveler. The Hotel is located near the top of a hill and overlooks the river separates Germany and Luxembourg and is perfect for relaxation or use as a base of travel. The cuisine is Excellent-I enjoyed dinner at the hotel one evening and breakfast is served in a bright airy room downstairs. Features well landscaped small grounds that are perfect for relaxing with a book in the afternoon and the rooms are both comfortable and reasonable. Bollendorf is a small town located in a scenic area of Germany and is an excellent base for visits to Echternach, LU and Vianden, LU. Both towns have must see castles, (esp. Vianden) and the Basilica Church in Echternach is beautiful and historic. The church's organ, Opus 1010, from Klais-Orgelbau of Bonn, Germany is a beauty and the acoustics are Excellent. I would not have known of the beauty of these towns without the guidance of the proprietor of the Hotel Ritschlay. He is a wealth of information!

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at Hotel Ritschlay when I was checking out my ancestors. The host is very helpful and speaks excellent English. The food in the hotel was excellent. The only drawback was you had to walk up a steep hill if you didn't have a car. The accomadations were clean and in very good shape considering it was also very economical. I would definitely recommend it. It was also a great opportunity to meet people from other areas. I must emphasize how helpful they were in arranging for transport for me to a nearby locality. The staff is very friendly. Great Place.

Room tip: I had a room facing the hills where you watch the sheep and goats next door.
Date of stay: September 2012