“Lunch”

Ranked #10 of 15 Restaurants in Beer
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

My husband found Beer by accident didn’t know what to expect, beautiful place, went into the Anchor for a bite to eat, young man behind the bar was very pleasant, served us with drinks and explained how we should order our food, we did as he’d said, waitress that brought our food was very abrupt with her actions, that’s the only way I can put it as she didn’t speak, the food was ok but not very well presented I had a sandwich which was placed uncut on the plate with a bit of salad. The menu had some nice options but we just wanted a light lunch. It was ok but wouldn’t rush back.

1  Thank June C

Reviewed 29 June 2018

We go often to Beer and often drop in the Anchor. This year, not happy about it. New system, where you have to order food and coffee/tea at one counter and then go through into the bar to get alcohol. Why not one order point for all, as in other places?

I stood behind one fella who was ordering a meal. The woman (probably manageress) was rude. She said, "And is all that at once or is some of it to be kept back?" Her tone was one of extreme impatience and as if talking to a child. Implied was: Why don't you hurry up and be clearer, why are you wasting my time?' When she told him the price, she sort of sang it out, the underlying meaning being: 'Why am I wasting my time dealing with these tiresome people?'

I was thinking: If she speaks to me like that, I'll tell her to wind her neck in. But, to me, she was minimally more polite, though she rolled her eyes and sighed heavily at some shout from the kitchen. A woman not cut out for her job.

We ate there one night. Food nothing special. I had to traipse backwards and forwards to order food and our drinks. We saw several people leave before being served.

Over following days found it hard to get drinks because bar-staff didn't know how to work tills - and the staff who did were trying to train those who didn't. After eating there one evening, went elsewhere on other days.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We arrived here for some lunch! We arrived at 11:30 to be told that “the kitchen is only doing brunch now untill 12:00 but your not be able to order anything now as they are prepping for lunch” abit ridiculous if you ask me... anyway we waited untill 12 and ordered some sandwiches! I ordered a cod goujon sandwich at £5.99 and “half a bowl of chips” well when it arrived the size of the bowl of chips was ridicous I’d say I had about 7 chips... for £1.50! And the sandwich once opened up had 3 tiny strips of battered cod it in! Would hardly fill half the sandwich’ But was bulked up with old salad leaf! Was very surprised at this after paying £7.50 for this meal! I went away hungry! The attitude from staff wasn’t great if I’m honest! I work in a pub and I wouldn’t of behaved the way some of them did! I’d avoid personally!

2  Thank Louise E
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I live in the South West and have been to this pub before. It pulls in lots of people as it is very near to the sea so you might be tempted to have a meal there. Here is why you should go somewhere in Beer and avoid this place like the plague. There is always a very long wait as there was today...Yes...45 minutes incredible. We ordered just a crab sandwich each which I was told would be available a touch more quickly. I was then told the price was £17.80 or thereabouts...I was shocked and had to check the price again with the lady behind the bar. Maybe it would come with quite an assortment of extras I thought so went ahead and paid. Well after about half an hour two small plates were dumped on our table. One was ready sliced white and the other sliced wholemeal bread. The bread of each had not even been cut into two sandwiches just a slab of bread covering the plate and its appearance was as if Desperate Dan had made them for himself. We had to try to cut the bread with ordinary blunt dining knives before we could attempt to eat them. Additionally there were a couple of grams of mouldy warm salad about the volume of a matchbox and a small dollop of coleslaw. Well we were shocked at what had been served and the eating of it was even more upsetting. Both types of cheap tasteless bread were bone dry and stale. The crab was just a mush of brown meat mixed up with mayonnaise to pad the sandwich out. It, like the bread, was utterly tasteless. My wife and I felt cheated and disappointed and extremely angry that we had been literally ripped off as these were without exaggeration the worst sandwiches we have ever been served. I complained to the waitress but she just scoffed that as we eaten it was just too bad and the readiness of how she spurted that out made it clear this was the regular get out clause she uses many times a day. So beware of this rip of pub. They don’t give a damn about serving decent food. They just charge as much as they can and serve the lowest quality meals they can get away with to the passing holiday trade knowing they always be someone else they can literally steal money from. Oh yes you’ll often have the pleasure of waiting ¾ hour for that pleasure......See claredonlady’s review; it mirrors our experience in nearly every detail.... Be warned...don’t let them rip YOU off!

1  Thank Les H
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

But slow service at the bar and no-one clearing the tables outside for the 45 minutes we were there. So it’s great for location and it serves alcohol is all I can say - which is about all you need really although it could be much better

1  Thank Graham S

Been to The Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!