“Cameron House Staff”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I booked for my 3 adult daughters and myself for a long weekend to this hotel to celebrate one of my daughter's 50th birthday, and from the moment we stepped out of our hire car the Staff could not help us enough.
The following day I became ill and again the staff were fantastic, even phoning our room to say if there was anything required not to hesitate to contact them.
My daughter went to Reception on Sunday morning to settle the account as I had become more unwell and was amazed to find they instantly credited the account with half of the amount
we expected to pay. and then offered her a complaint form to complete because we had some
problems with the heating in the bedrooms which they had instantly rectified.
I doubt it would be possible to surpass this Hotel and I sincerely hope to return once my health problem has been rectified.

Room Tip: The Wi-Fi in Rooms 72 - 111 is non existent
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
CameronHouseLL, Public Relations Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

I hope your daughter had a lovely birthday, and thank you so much for choosing to celebrate this special occasion at Cameron. I am really sorry to learn that you are poorly, and sincerely appreciate you making the effort to write such a great review despite this. I wish you a very speedy recovery, and would love to welcome you back in the near future,

Best Wishes,
Shona Brierton

Write a ReviewReviews (6,164)

Reviewed 27 November 2011

The hotel and its surroundings are lovely. When we arrived, the valet service took and parked the car for us (which is included within your stay there). The interior of the hotel, as you walk in, is very attractive; traditional Scottish. The reception staff were polite and reasonably helpful. We checked into our room at 3pm and there were no hold-ups in getting in.

Before we went into the room, the first thing we notice was a dirty glass and plate sitting outside our door.
The rooms themselves are of a decent size for a couple. Our room included bunk beds in a separate area which are obviously used by children. The room in which these were located was rather small, but would be okay for a weekend stay?
Additional to the dirty dishes outside our room, there was an empty envelope left on the bedside table, a card from Cameron House to the couple who were in the room prior to us and the glass on the table definitely required a clean. This said however, our room was cleaned hours within us being there which was nice (whether this is normal procedure, I do not know, perhaps the cleaners had not finished completely before we checked in?).
Aside from the few imperfections within the room, on the whole is was good. (Expected amenities within the room, but remember toothpaste, as there was none!)

The facilities within the hotel were also good, we used the pool etc before going to the grill for our dinner, and that was enjoyable. There was a very mixed clientele using the facilities (and staying in the hotel), which gave it a pleasant atmosphere.

For dinner, we had booked a 'market' meal at the Cameron Grill. Neither myself or my boyfriend wanted all 3 courses off that menu however and so chose from the A la Carte menu, which had an additional charge (£35 was deducted per person from the total additional cost though). Our server was very friendly. We were offered some Moet while we waited to order, which we accepted, naively presuming this would not come with a charge, but unfortunately it did (beware if you are not regular 5 star diners!). The meal was of a reasonable standard, perhaps not worth what you pay though. The portion sizes were also acceptable, although the burgers are perhaps a bit too big?
Following the meal, we had a drink in the bar. As expected the drinks were not cheap, but again there was friendly, relaxing atmosphere.

The day after our stay, we went to Carrick Spa. Unfortunately, there had been a mix up with our treatment/spa booking (the broker we had booked through booked us in for the wrong day) but we were slotted in that day at a slightly later time which was great.
The spa facilities were great, we spent a few hours making our way round them all and finished our weekend with a mud treatment, which was also really good.

Overall, a good experience. Would have been much more impressed (given the prices paid for rooms) by an immaculate room, both inside and immediately outside and more clarity surrounding what's included in packages etc would be preferable. Worth a wee break away, but could get a similar experience elsewhere for less?

Room Tip: Room located on 2nd floor- noisy when windy. Lovely view overlooking loch on front side of hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review, your feedback is kindly appreciated. I am very pleased to learn that you thought so highly of our location, interior, and spa facilities – and I am glad that the confusion with your treatment was successfully resolved during your stay. I also wish to thank you for highlighting that the diverse range of guests staying with our resort contributed so positively to the atmosphere within Cameron, as we really pride ourselves on being a resort to cater for all.
However, I must apologise for the cleanliness issue identified, please be assured that this is wholly unacceptable, and not representative of normal housekeeping practice. Our Executive Housekeeping is aware of the conditions described and is looking in to why your room was not correctly prepared in order to ensure this situation is not repeated.
Despite the issue described it is reassuring to learn that you had a good experience overall, and I do hope that you return, and recognize what an all round great resort we have here at Cameron,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 November 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last ten years - it is always amazing! The decor is fabulous without being intimidating or ostentatious and the staff are always great. We have stayed on several occasions with our little girl and she has always had a great fuss made of her - on one occasion we returned to our room to find a gorgeous teddy bear had been left on her bed! The suites are stunning, with amazingly opulent bathrooms. You just don't want to leave! We celebrated both our 30th birthdays here and will be returning in January to celebrate my husbands 40th - can't wait!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

A massive thank you for your review, and for returning to visit so many times! Your praise of our interior, team, and suites is all very kindly appreciated. I am especially glad to learn that your little one was so well looked after, as we really are a great resort for families. It is also a huge compliment that you felt so much at home that you did not wish to leave, and that Cameron is your favourite place!
I am delighted you are staying again so soon, and please contact me when you are returning and I will do all I can to ensure you and your husband have a marvellous stay to celebrate this special birthday,

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2011

Went to Glasgow in October for a concert and stayed at Cameron House. We had a suite which overlooked the jetty where the seaplane takes off. Not only was the room and view superb (tv set in wall at end of bath - just had to have a bath instead of shower!) but the service was pretty amazing too. Everyone was so attentive and could not do enough for us. We had a meal at the Boathouse which is a short walk away and as we were due to stroll back I mentioned to my boyfriend that it had probably gotten colder outside since we arrived. A member of staff overheard me and offered to get us a lift back to the hotel!! She assured us it would be no trouble but we enjoyed wandering back through the beautiful grounds. The huge bed was like sleeping in a big marshmallow, so comfy. We had room service for breakfast and had the best eggs benedict ever. The only thing we had to complain about, which was minor, was corrected immediately. Couldn't fault this hotel or the staff. Can't really comment on value for money as it was a treat paid for by a friend but would definitely be worth saving up for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks the jetty.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review! I am delighted that you found your whisky suite so welcoming, especially the stand alone bath with views over Loch Lomond (which is such an enviable feature). I also really appreciate your praise of our lush grounds, service provided by the team here, and it is lovely to learn that the eggs benedict you had for breakfast were the best you have ever sampled!
Once again, thank you for recommending Cameron to other travelers, and I do hope you return in the very near future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cameron House for a 3 day break back in March this year and from the moment we pulled up, every aspect of our stay was outstanding, we were treated like royalty. So much so, that we have already booked to go back to celebrate our 9th anniversary at the end of January next year and we can’t wait.

When we arrived after a near 5 hour drive our room wasn’t ready as unbeknown to me my boyfriend had arranged for a bottle of champagne to be in the room when we checked in. The concierge (I believe his name was Alan) immediately helped us with our bags and parking the car, the lady who dealt with us behind the desk was very apologetic and invited us to wait in the Great Scots Bar and they will let us know straight away once the room is ready. Waiting was not going to be an issue once we entered the bar, it has stunning views of the Loch and we relaxed instantly on the comfy sofas with a drink.

We booked a classic bedroom, the suites look stunning and we would’ve loved to have stayed in one but it was out of our price range. However, the classic bedrooms didn’t disappoint, they’re beautifully decorated, very comfortable and cosy with plenty of space with a very clean lovely bathroom. Overall, along with the rest of the hotel simply gorgeous.

With regards to restaurants, you’re spoilt for choice; for our first evening we decided to go to the boathouse and the front desk happily booked us a table earlier in the day. The boathouse is about a ten minute walk from the hotel which we were happy to walk. We went to leave the hotel and we were greeted by ‘Alan’ and he made a quick call and within a couple of minutes a car was ready to take us down to the boathouse, where we enjoyed a wonderful meal and a car was ready to take us back when we finished.

We booked to do the private hawk walk which I would definitely recommend and would happily repeat next time we go as you not only enjoy time with ‘Oren’ and enjoy a walk around the beautiful grounds. We also received advice from ‘Alan’ about where to go for lovely walks and drives, but even if you didn’t have a car there are plenty of walks close by.

We enjoyed an evening meal at both the Claret Jug and the Cameron Grill and the standard of food and service is fantastic. We also enjoy a champagne afternoon tea which was such a treat and we will definitely be indulging in that next time we go.

Overall, I cannot fault our stay at Cameron House. The hotel itself is wonderful in everyway but the staff really makes it, as they’re all so lovely, so attentive and sincerely hope to make your stay a wonderful experience.

We can’t wait to go back, we were a couple looking for a romantic break which is exactly what we got but I would recommend Cameron House to anyone.

Room Tip: Book the hawk walk, ask any member of staff for advice on walks and places to visit. All the restaur...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
21.1 km away
10.7 km away
Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
11 km away
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!