US$71
Ardoch Cottage(Gartocharn)
6,184 results
All reviewscameron houseboat housethe grillvalet parkinggreat scots barcarrick spabeautiful hotelloch lomondmartin wishartsteakboathouse restaurantclaret jugceltic warriorleisure facilitiesafternoon teafirst classinfinity pool
Reviewed 28 July 2008

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Cameron House. Based on some of the other reviews, I think we got pretty lucky. We found the rooms to be well-appointed and comfortable (and quiet!), the food to be very good, and the range of services offered impressive. We especially loved the decor throughout the hotel. We even stole a decorating idea! And, of course, the grounds and surrounding area are just beautiful.

Having said all of that, the hotel could do with better service. I have to agree with others who have discussed this. While we had no major issues, the reviewer who said it seemed like it was being run by "summer interns" was right on the money. The staff, while friendly, really lacked the professionalism you expect when paying this much for a hotel. But on top of that, it seems to be understaffed. One of our major annoyances was trying to have dinner in the Cameron Grill. Every time we tried to book, we were told that it was full between 7:00-9:30. (The nearest town with other options is about 10 minutes away.) At first, we blamed ourselves for not being better prepared. However, we finally took a table at 6:30 on our last night. When we were done at 8:30, we noticed that the restaurant was maybe only half full (if that). So, clearly, capacity isn't the issue. They just don't have enough people working.

Overall, while some of the issues were a little bit annoying, I still liked it enough to stay there again if I was in the area.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 17 July 2008

To begin with this is one expensive hotel and unless you are in the higher levels of business it is a treat for a very special occasion. For me it was my mother-in-laws 60th (a possible nightmare scenario... only joking Carol if you are reading this just couldn't resist the in-law shot:-)) and the wife, 2 kids, mother/father/sister in law all went there. It has a real feeling of class, Loch Lomond is truly a beautiful setting, the hotel is a very classy blend of old and new and our family room was great for the kids as it had this walk in space which had very sophisticated bunk beds. The atmosphere was always classy but relaxed. The bar (I forget the name) had massive windows to look out over the Loch and lovely comfy sofas. There was a great swimming pool, snooker room and loads more. I was gutted I didn't get to play the Carrick golf course however January in Scotland is not the best for Golf. You could criticise the cost but actually this will live long in the memory and so saving the money would not make up for such a wonderful experience. I suppose I should own up that my father-in-law paid but even so this will be on my list for truly special events!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2008

I don't recognise the hotel described in some other reviews posted here and I do admit to staying there partly out of curiosity to see whether it delivered or not. (My rating is a clue...).

I was given a loch view room (standard) without having to request, and despite booking a 'late' rate which was spacious, wonderfully comfortable, with spacious bathroom and (heavenly) heated bathroom floors. Everything worked including TV. Films on the TV system are however fairly pricey and limited in choice. Good quality coffee (and carton of milk in fridge) were nice touches, and the bed and linens were immaculate and extraordinarily comfy.

There was no sign of external work going on but there was work going on in a room above mine (briefly - about 10 mins the day I arrived and about 10 mins on the morning I left), I found no sign of any work or disruption elsewhere in the building or on the site.

The staff at all points were helpful, polite and efficient. I was asked if I needed my bags taken to my room and/or my car parked but as I had one small bag and had already parked my car this was unncessary. A request in the bar about the location of the Grill was met with a polite reply and physical accompaniment to the restaurant. There is an open plan kitchen - with plenty of seating away from its immediate vicinity if this proves too noisy/hot. It is impossible to be 'covered in smoke' because the actual grills are at the far end away from the seating area.

The restaurant serving staff were cheerful and coped well with some slightly idiosyncratic requests - despite missing a glass of wine it was brought immediately when prompted. The standard of food was excellent - but it is pricey and this is the 'informal' grill not the more fine dining Lomonds restaurant - be warned.

Despite being warned to book a table (at 7) there seemed to be plenty of space so do not be pressured to if you do not want to.

Breakfast was a combination of buffet/Continental and cooked to order which again was done with great charm and speed despite yet more idiosyncratic request.

All in all this was a very high quality hotel in a wonderful setting (right on the banks of Loch Lomond); I do wonder if some other reviewers engendered their own difficulties; I experienced nothing but excellent service and facilities, would not hesitate to recommend it or visit again, hopefully for longer. Btw - payment by credit card was taken in the standard way with no deposit or prepayment.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank parklandwalk
Reviewed 30 May 2008

While the setting is lovely and the actual room very nice, the service at De Vere Cameron House was 3-star at best, not at all what I would expect from a supposed 5-star hotel. We had to carry our own bags to the room, and the staff (while friendly) seemed like a bunch of summer interns--pretty clueless and not very helpful. Some of our bags hadn't made our flight over, and there was no help offered, not even computer access until we pressed hard for it.

The food in the restaurant was adequate, but we were seated near the kitchen, and every time a steak was put on the grill, we were surrounded by smoke and barely able to breathe.

Not worth it for the price we paid, especially given the ongoing refurbishments.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Shaunalinka
Reviewed 20 May 2008

..if you don't like noise on your well earned break!

Stayed at the Cameron House for a 2 night break - for a Sunday and Monday night, which was part of their May Madness Package which meant dinner on the first evening included.

Booked via hotel's own site to get the package. Nowhere on the site does it mention that there is building work taking place. In fact did not find out until I received the confirmation email, where at the very bottom it mentioned that there is refurb work taking place to quote:

"refurb programme will involve the closure and re-working of all areas on a rolling programme and we are trying to ensure we carry this out as sympathetically as possible but for further clarification on the work being undertaken at the time of your stay, please contact the hotel direct."

Also, note that you cannot get a refund at this stage as part of their T'c & C's and they debit half of the charge on booking. So I think most people, as we did, would take their chances to avoid losing their money however, I did call in advance and spoke with the reception desk who told me that as I was staying in a Loch View Room, which is in the new part, there won't be any noise heard from my room. So this told me that the work would probably be pretty minimal. WRONG. awoken at 8am with banging, the sound of a cherry picker going up and down right outside the window, hammering, sawing, drilling..you get the idea.. from all directions within hotel. After a days cruising and touring round the loch when you want to relax or have a little siesta before dinner you expect your room, with it's beautiful views to be nice and quite - THINK AGAIN. Same noise constantly. I spoke with a duty manager, who feebly said she would get the work stopped for the day - but it did not. Had to go buy earplugs in Balloch. There was no offer of a room change at all. On check out I again asked to speak to a manager, who didn't really do much but apologise and offer a free upgrade when I returned. No chance of that. I would recommend that if you were thinking of staying in this area and want to be close to the loch go for the Duck Bay, which is 200 yards or so along the road or aA private lodge.

I found the staff to be inexperienced, uninformed and unprofessional. Whilst the reception staff were friendly and welcoming,they didn't know very much about what was going on. Another example was calling in advance to book into the Carrick Golf Course and being told that it was not open on a Monday. When we wen't over there to take a look, we could see plenty of golfers out! This meant paying to hire clubs etc which could have been brought in advance had we been informed correctly.

and now the positive points :) The setting is absolutely stunning, you can't beat Loch Lomond for views. The hotel rooms are to international 5 star standard but the service is not unfortunately. Its a nice touch to have a drinks tray and to be able to make your own refreshments when you wish and to have the nice smellies that you expect in a quality hotel. The Grill restarurant was nice enough, can't comment on the others as they were all closed. The bar was really comfy with excellent pics of all the famous scots, past and present. The Spa at the Carrick is beautiful - not free to guests but still a lovely experience. I had a mud wrap which was fantastic! The lodges in that part looked pretty nice too!

In summary, If I were you - I would go elsewhere on the loch to get a more tranquil stay - especially if you expect a real 5 star experience, which is unfortunately what we were after!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple