“Fantastic Weekend Break”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We had a fabulous weekend at the Cameron House which is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

The rooms were fabulous, as was the food, both at breakfast time & also in the Carrick. The Great Scot bar was superb and afternoon tea here was to die for.

During the weekend we had a a great experience chartering the Hotels boat & cruising around the Loch. We then went quad biking over the hills around the Loch and finally spent some time in the hotel pool with the kids.

The children loved their bunk beds which were in a small annex off our room & were wonderfully designed. Really I would say that the rooms were the highest quality of any I have ever experienced in a hotel.

We found every member of staff to be well trained & helpful.

If you are looking for an unforgettable weekend you really should go for it & book the Cameron House. Superb.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (6,172)

Reviewed 23 January 2009

We arrived about 5pm to be informed our room wasnt ready therefore we were being upgraded. Check in was very efficient and the girl very helpful. Rooms were huge, we had a Loch view also. We ate at the Cameron Grill both nights and found the service to be excellent and the food fantastic, nothing was too much bother for the waiting staff including my request for Gluten Free Bread (which i also got each morning at breakfast). The pool area/jacuzzi are fantastic. We found the time we were there went very quick and are already looking into going back for another short stay in the next few months.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank EdinburghMarge
Reviewed 22 January 2009

My wife and I had 2 nights at Cameron House and absolutely loved it.
Just refurbished to a high standard, the Hotel is big, rooms spacious and well appointed, great beds. Great golf course although it was too cold to play. Terrific spa and water treatments at the golf facility the Carrick House/Golf Course. Personable staff...mainly locals who have been well trained.

Great bar and many restaurants to choose from although we missed Martin Wishart opened the day we left.

Currently doing great deals and these deals will continue until into Spring.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Still call Australia Home
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Stayed at Cameron House on 15/16 Jan. Check in was at 3pm but we arrived at 2pm and our room was ready. Rooms are big and very tastefully decorated. Facilities in the hotel were excellent. The spa at the Carrick was wonderful would definitely recommend. Had dinner in the Cameron Grill which was lovely. Unfortunately the Boathouse wasn't open but it did look very nice. Had lunch at the Claret Jug which again was lovely although service was a bit slow. Only gripe I would have was housekeeping. I had to call more than once to have tea/coffee tray replenished and also to get breakfast menus. I would definitely recommend this hotel and the scenery is wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gyle
Reviewed 16 January 2009

I booked this for my Husbands birthday as it had been one of the hotels we had considered for our Wedding to be held at. All I can say is... I'm so glad I didn't!!

When we arrived the room wasn't ready for us - not a big problem you would think except we had arrived over an hour after the check in time! They offered to store our bags and we decided to go for a walk around the grounds.

The hotel called a short time later and we went to our room - albeit without any information on the hotel as the girl at reception seemed a bit jittery and inexperienced and perhaps forgot. This meant that we weren't sure where any of the bars were, where the restaurant we were booked into was and didn't receive any further information on the spa and booking treatments there! No biggy - we can work it out for ourselves! Coincidently the Spa is not onsite but at The Carrick which is a couple of miles away and although a shuttle service is provided I found this to be a bit of an inconvenience as why would you book a relaxing getaway only to have to leave your hotel grounds if you wanted spa treatments!

On arriving at our room I can honestly say we had no complaints - the rooms were lovely, we had a loch view and the bath tubs were lovely and spacious and the walk in shower really good too!

We had booked dinner at their boathouse restaurant and received three separate phone calls regarding our booking. The first to confirm the time (they were two hours later than we had booked), the second enquiring if we wanted to make a reservation as apparently we hadn't and the third checking our booking time which was (thankfully) the correct time we had booked.

The dining experience was disappointing to say the least. We sat for 15 minutes before being asked if we wanted a drink and they instead came over and tried to take our food order straight away. The garlic bread with cheese we ordered, arrived without cheese and without much garlic either! My husbands Penne Picante style dish (which he had specifically asked how spicy it was) arrived and it was completely bland. I don't have any faults for my chicken Caesar salad which was lovely. The starter dishes remained on our table throughout our main meal and then everything was cleared away at the end - at which point I complained to the waiter. He offered us free desserts and when I said we weren't really keen to eat anything else there and would just finish our wine and leave - we were told that they would see what they could do with the bill. They took the chicken Caesar salad off (the only thing that did taste nice and coincidently the cheapest thing on our bill) and we got to spend the remainder of our time their with our wine being eyeballed and pointed at from the chef's in the open plan kitchen.

We decided to go for a drink at the bar and firstly went to the whisky bar which was lovely and the barman there was fantastic. Chatted away about the area, whisky and the like! We then moved into the main bar (it was showing sky sports!) which was lovely until we went to pay for our drinks. The female bartender there saw us approach and then looked away and began busying herself in a notebook she was doodling in. We stood for a couple of minutes in front of her before having to ask to be acknowledged! We then had to deal with huffing and puffing as she got us to sign for the drinks.

So back to our room!! Where we realised that there was a fault with our TV and movies could not be ordered and there was no golf balls for the putting machine! Golf balls arrived 1 1/2 hours later and we were told we could use an empty room further down the hall to order our movies from if we wanted as that was empty and they wouldn't be fixing our TV til the morning!!

Check out time - thank god!!

At this point I asked to speak to a manager and had to wait in line - there were two other people complaining about their stay before me.

The manager was most helpful and removed all food, drinks and a large proportion of our room cost from the bill as way of an apology!

All in all I was severely disappointed by the stay! We had looked forward to staying at this hotel for sometime and cannot believe the poor standard of service that we received when we did!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scotrocker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
10.4 km away
10.7 km away
Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
13 km away
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!