“Excellent ”
Review of The Augustus John

The Augustus John
Price range: US$7 - US$51
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A slightly quirky pub close to country walks. Situated on the outskirts of Fordingbridge, a riverside town on the north western border of The New Forest. 4 en suite letting rooms, stunning menu by superchef Scott Bennett using fresh and seasonal produce. Thai on Tuesday evening, Saturday - Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on a Sunday with family and the food far exceeded usual pub food . The starters, roasts and knickerbocker glory were really excellent. I would really recommend anyone to come here for the delicious food

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We visited here twice during our stay in the New Forest.
The food was excellent and we found Brian the owner really nice and friendly !
The menu had plenty of choice and the food was cooked to perfection.

Bryan G, Owner at The Augustus John, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

And you you were brilliant guests, lovely to have you visit. Glad you enjoyed the menu, our new Autumn menu starts next week. Scott as ever has done a cracking job and I'm very excited about it.
See you soon when you are next in the The Forest. Phone us to see if we can do a last minute deal on one of the rooms.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We were actually quite disappointed not to meet Brian the angry owner as described in previous posts. We envisaged a Fawlty Towers type environment but were in fact met with a warm greeting from Brian, a nice quiet relaxing atmosphere, and amazing food. My wife originally booked a Groupon for a 2-course meal with wine but noticing accommodation was available she booked us in for the night and we also paid for breakfast. If you want a lively pub with sky tv, pool tables and a dart board then you will be disappointed, but if you want a relaxed atmosphere where you can unwind and enjoy good food then this is the place for you. The room was great if a little cold as the window was wide open upon arrival, I assume to air? But as well as the radiator there was a plug-in heater which we used to warm it up. The One thing i was really concerned about was staying in a room above a pub but the rooms are in fact in an annexe adjacent to the pub. Lovely chocolate shortbread awaited us in the room and a comfy bed. The food really was top drawer. My wife had the crayfish/prawn cocktail, for starters and the sea bass for main, the prawns turned up whole and were amazing I had a mackerel scotch egg which was beautiful and the sticky ribs with sweet potato. I was unable to finish the huge portion of ribs! We had to preorder breakfast the night before but as with dinner, it was really really good. Really good quality bacon and sausages. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Augustus John. Although most reviews on here are very positive, I would strongly advise you to ignore the negative posts and see for yourself

Yes, I'm sorry I wasn't rude and grumpy, I must have been having an off day.
What a lovely review; i see a new career beckoning. You were such lovely guests and we really enjoyed having you stay. If you fancy a last minute break give me ring and I'll see if I can do a deal on an empty room if I have one. I always try to for such nice guests! See you soon and I'll try to be really angry next time.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Visited this pub with the family (6 of us including a three year old) on the back of Trip Advisor reviews.
Excellent food - good traditional roast dinner - with steaming gravy served on hot plates (hot plates are a pet thing of mine - I hate hot food on cold plates).
Landlord most amiable - all very comfortable and child friendly.
The pub is nothing visually to look at but the food makes up for it . Also a magnificent Triumph Motor Cycle in the entrance! Don't be fooled by appearances when you drive by.

As ever we were blessed with another well behaved toddler. Don't know why but we have never attracted badly behaved children (except once!). Maybe its because we don't do chicken nuggets!
It was a joy to see you all and look forward to your next visit. We serve Sunday lunch 'til 4pm

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Visited tonight, as I read that Bryan the owner was grumpy and it was Thai night and I suspected he was a good guy as he allows Dogs in the bar area and even gives them treats personally and tonight the Dog owners supported him for his efforts as it's very rare to get a real Thai in a pub as we as dog owners are banned from Thai restaurants and most others so it makes a nice change.
It was called a Tapas a tasty selection of Thai dishes for 2 people, really liked the sweet and sour seabass.
They also offer Knickerbocker Glory for dessert coming from the seaside part of Kent needed to give it a try , I liked the topping of meringue and custard underneath with loads of strawberries.
Keep up the good work Bryan , it's paying off as your restaurant was packed tonight.

Bryan G, Owner at The Augustus John, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you so much Stevie. A review like that means so much to us as Scott puts a lot of care into Tuesdays having devised the menu with a Thai colleague so it is as authentic as it can be. Many of our customers prefer it to a certain well known chain!
Glad you both and the pugs enjoyed it; see you all again soon I hope.