“Super pub.........hurry, it's closing....”
Review of The Cartwheel Inn

The Cartwheel Inn
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: FOOD SERVED LUNCHTIMES ONLY UNTIL DECEMBER We strongly recommend booking to avoid disappointment. A short journey North West of Fordingbridge, the Cartwheel is a gem of a country pub situated in amongst the racing stables and stud farms of Hampshire. Although closed on Mondays, we are open Tuesday through to Sunday for lunch and Wednesday to Saturday for evening for drinks only , we have Fresh Homecooked food with a variety of fresh fish dishes, locally sourced meat and Hampshire veg. We have an extensive Ploughmans menu with 10 choices available Tuesday to Saturday lunchtimes. Kids meals such as Scampi, Lasagne etc including an ice cream. Booking is essential as we only have seats for 52 people and we get busy early. Kids and dogs welcome and large garden and covered areas for shelter.
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Rather than a nearby forest walk, we thought we would look further afield. We stumbled across a walk that took in the Cartwheel Inn and the Rose and Thistle. We thought we would have a late lunch and a walk, the Cartwheel Inn having gained quite a reputation.
On arrival the pub was deserted. Tables were laid out, the atmosphere was homely, more 'pub' than 'gastro pub.' Some cheap plastic 'specials' boards on the tables showed main meals at a 'tenner' or just over. We're very suspicious of 'family can eat for £2.99' pubs and mildly suspicious of 'mains around a tenner' pubs.
The barman could not have been more helpful. Unfortunately the kitchen was closed until 5pm, so we decided to walk and then come back for 5pm. Getting a table at 5pm was a little struggle, the bookings sheet was amazing.
We walked across rolling fields and woods to Rockbourne, to a beautiful thatched pub The Rose and Thistle. After a quick drink we realised we had slightly miscalculated our timings. A quick call to The Cartwheel and we rearranged for 5.50pm.
The homemade burger was excellent. Fish and chips superb and the steak and kidney pudding something special. The beer was clean and well kept however what the pub does very well is service. We encountered the proprietor and two other members of staff, who were so immediately helpful on every occasion, it was tempting to ask to borrow £50. I'm sure they would have headed straight to their wallets and returned with the cash.
We truly thought we had found a gem and quickly enquired about lunch for our annual 30 to 40 strong family walk and lunch. The proprietors are leaving and the pub is being sold by the brewery, after a string of Pub of the Year Awards.
A travesty.
A must visit before it closes.

CartwheeLInn, Owner at The Cartwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks,

We were quite busy that night so glad you sneaked in early to avoid the rush.

We are off to Spain in December so still a few weeks for people to grab some good grub.

Glad you enjoyed eveything though.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

We went to the pub today and had Sunday lunch there. We had Belly Pork and I can honestly say it was the best I have ever had. Vegetables to accompany it were great as well. Atmosphere was friendly as well. Small car park but overall a great meal

CartwheeLInn, Owner at The Cartwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Many thanks.

We get our belly pork from the local butchers in Fordingbridge so it is nice and fresh and cook it for 5 hours plus to get it so tender.

Glad you enjoyed it and see you again we hope

Reviewed 7 October 2017

We were staying in a lodge nearby and this pub had been highlighted as good. We rang and booked a table in advance and were accommodated at 7.15 on a September Saturday night.

I had the deep fried brie to start. It was a chunky slice covered with a crisp, thin batter and absolutely delicious. My husband had halloumi chips which he loved.

For mains we both had the New Forest fillet of beef. I had mine with peppercorn sauce, chunky chips and a side salad whilst he had blue cheese sauce, mash and vegetables with his. Heaven! The steaks were cooked perfectly, the sauces delicious and the sides a perfect accompaniment. This was by far the best meal that we had during our week in the Dorset/ New Forest area.

My husband had the sticky toffee pudding which was surprisingly light as well as tasty whilst I had a coffee. The bill for these three courses, along with a pint for my husband and a soft drink for myself as designated driver was £71, which was great value. I would also like to highlight the staff who were super friendly and accommodating of my husband's request for different sides to those on the menu.

Fabulous review, many thanks.

As with all our meat, it is supplied locally by the butcher and that is why it tastes so fresh.

Hopefully you will be in agian soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Lovely food! My partner and I stopped here for a late lunch yesterday after spending a night in the New Forest. The kitchen was due to close, but they were lovely and accommodating and I am so glad as the food was wonderful.

I had the scampi and chips and my partner had their burger with stilton. The scampi was lovely, the chips were great (really great!) and the burger was very generous.

We live an hour or so away, but would definitely go back with visitors the next time we visit the area :)

Overall fabulous pub grub!

CartwheeLInn, Owner at The Cartwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Thank you.

I remember you two, off to Matchams I think for the caravan wrecking night.

Glad you enjoyed your meal and may see you again

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely friendly staff, great food, and our dog got lots of attention and a few treats; a perfect afternoon lunch.

CartwheeLInn, Owner at The Cartwheel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Many thanks.

We love dogs here, own two ourselves.

Glad you had a good time as it was quite busy sunday despite a table of 10 not turning up. We hope to see you soon.