“学問向上祈願で訪問 Shrine for academic excellence ”
Review of Yushima Tenmangu

Yushima Tenmangu
Ranked #10 of 273 things to do in Bunkyo
More attraction details
Owner description: Yushima was founded in 1355 but the main building was re-built in the 1880s. The stunning bronze gate is over 200 years old. In fact this shrine is as well known for its plum garden as it is for its association with the main shrine in Kyushu, which honors a Heian poet, Michizane Sugawara.
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

湯島天神には新年の祈願、受験期の子供の受験成功を願って参拝しました。新年には参拝者がかなり多くて時間がかかりましたがご利益ありそうな神社です。
It has been a while to post about the visit to Yushima Tenjin but it was for my child who has to take high school entrance exams. I prayed for her to pass the tests since I he Shrine is known for academic excellence.

1  Thank kyokon614
"trees"
"university"
"tokyo"

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I visited this place in March before cherry blossom season starts. Ume trees were in full abloom. The scenery was awesome. There are nice restaurants around Yushima area. It’s just 10 minuets’ walk from Ueno station. The restaurants in Ueno area are always crowded, so it’s nice to come to Yushima to just have lunch. Kanda Myojin Shrine is just a few minutes’ walk from Yushima Tenmangu.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

This Shinto shrine, devoted to the kami of learning, stands on a hill just a block away from the apartment where we stay during long-term Tokyo visits. For years, it has offered me a shortcut when walking to the nearby University of Tokyo or to Ueno Park. I sometimes see students here, submitting small wooden plaques with petitions for success in upcoming exams or admission to a specific university.

Usually only a few people are at the shrine in morning or evening when I'm there. But I encountered crowds at this shrine in November during the Chrysanthemum Festival. Display areas showed off beautiful flower arrangements, and cameras clicked away. Each time I passed through, I noted a long line in front of the shrine's main structure, built from Japanese cedar and featuring brightly painted carvings. Some of the visitors wore lovely traditional kimonos.

This is a really nice shrine to visit when in the immediate area, but I would not recommend it as a destination from another part of Tokyo.

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We went there for the new year ceremony. It was so crowded. We had to wait in line for an hour to be able to get inside the temple but it was worth. The temple is nice with many ume trees. I will go back again around the end of March to see the Ume blooming.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I recently visited Yushima Tenmangu during its chrysanthemum display, and I've previously visited at plum blossom time. Both visits were really enjoyable.

The chrysanthemum display is one of the best that I saw during my recent visit. There was a wide variety of different types, and the chrysanthemums were trained in different forms.

The plum blossom was very pretty and, best of all, there were plum bonsai which were absolutely beautiful.

This shrine is really easy to get to, very close to Ueno, and you might be lucky enough to catch a traditional wedding there. Highly recommended!