Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at Edoya in the middle of September when the temperature was still over 30 degree and our room was too hot to sleep. It might have been only our room as nobody else seems to have complained about it. Otherwise, the hotel was very good. It is quite outdated, but everything worked and it didn't bother us. The baths on the top floor were great. Although it was very hot, we still took a hot bath and enjoyed it. The location was very good - close to Ueno, Okachimachi and Akihabara stations, very convenient to get to the airport. The taxi from the hotel to Keisei Ueno cost less than AU$10. We enjoyed walking around Ueno, especially between the Ueno and Okachimachi stations, through 'Ameyoko'. We stayed in Shijuku last time but the Ueno area is much more interesting It has got much more 'old day' feeling. Hopefully we will be back there before long.

Room tip: The room 503 was hot.
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I enjoyed staing in this hotel very much. There are both Western style and Japanese style rooms - I chose a Japanese style room and found it very good. The only reason I have not given 5 stars is that there is not network connection in the rooms although there is one in the lobby area.
In the top-floor, partially on the roof, there is a traditional Japanese hot bath, one for women and one for men. A rest in hot water unedr the Tokyo sky was soothing for my jet lagged body and mind! The staff is friendly and helpful, and as always I loved the traditional japanese breakfast.

Room tip: I chose a "Single superior Japanese style" - this was not especially expensive and a delightful room, almost a small suite
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Pros: large rooms, excellent traditional breakfast buffet, and terrific location. It is a very traditional ryokan. So traditional that it appears that the whole hotel has not been renovated for the last 50 years. Really felt like I was staying in a museum. The bedding was clean.

We took showers and baths in the 6th floor public bathroom. It is nice to be able to take a bath in the balcony. The bathtub can comfortably fit 2-3 people if you are from the same family. It is too small to have two strangers sitting in the bathtub together. The bathtub temperature is all over the place. Sometimes it is too scalding hot, sometimes it is too cold. I stayed for one week in this hotel; I know what I am talking about. I would recommend checking the tub's temperature first, adjust the faucet, then go take a shower. After the shower, the tub should be in the right temperature.

The breakfast (if you like a traditional Japanese meal) is quite sumptuous.

There is wifi in the room. Two old computers are in the lobby for guests.

The lobby has pretty tea rooms.

About bed bugs that some reviewer had written about... I did get one bite. Not sure if it was a bed bug. It definitely took a whole week to go away. It was not a mosquito bite.

The hotel has not been renovated for a long time and some part of the room looks very drabby. However, I did appreciate the relatively large rooms. There are certainly hotel rooms in other hotel in which you would have trouble finding room to open your suitcases.

I picked this hotel because this is a rare Japanese hotel that has room to accomodate four.

I recommend going to the nearby origami center to buy origami kits. I recommend going to nearby 7-Eleven to buy some cup-o-noodles and bring them back to the hotel to eat. The hot water pot in the room has been useful also for making tea. I also recommend going to "Niki no Okashi Bikku Kan" to buy all manners of Japanese snacks really cheap. And the whole area around that store is where the locals shop. Lots of cheap stuff there, all next to Matsuzakaya Department Store.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank battacat
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This hotel in Tokyo was by far the best choice I could make in Tokyo. Despite not being so close to Ueno (about 10 minutes walking), it’s in a very nice and quiet location, about 5 minutes walking from Akihabara electronic shopping area and 3 minutes walking from Yushima Station.
We booked a triple Japanese style room for two adults and two children and it was very spacious and nice, with bath and shower separated from the toilet and the sleeping area separated from a living room with a small Japanese style table, where every day they filled the thermal bottle and replaced the tea bags. It is very suitable for families, since there is a microwave oven in the lobby floor, so we could bring obento (very good quality takeway food available in all nearby markets and groceries) warm it and eat in at the tables set in the hotel’s very nice rooftop. In the lobby there is also two computers for guests use and a fresh water dispenser.
In the last floor there’s also a washing and a drier machine (so you can bring less clothes), and the hotel’s highlights in my opinion -two open air baths (one for women and one for men, with sauna), with a very comfortable rest room adjacent. There is a drinks vending machine there, but beer is much cheaper if bought in the many nearby groceries.
I used the hotspring every day and it was superb to relax after a full day exploring Tokyo. The breakfast was delicious (especially if you like Japanese food) and very healthy and nourishing. Just perfect to recharge our energy before going out to walk in the city.
In conclusion, everything was just perfect!

Room tip: Japanese style rooms are very good.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Nanbei
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed there for two nights when I was 2.5 months pregnant. We'd originally planned a one-night stay but I felt too unwell to move cities after just one night.

The japanese double room is large, with a private bathroom (we had a wooden bathtub + shower) and a separate (also private) toilet. There is a living room area, separate from the sleeping area with a small screen, all on tatamis (so no shoes!! but slippers are provided). I asked for twin futon beds because they are larger than 1 double futon, and indeed we had plenty of sleeping space. I didn't find the bean-filled pillows uncomfortable and the air conditioning worked well, with just a slight humming noise. Slept very well (and a lot!). There's also tea making facilies, a small fridge and a TV in the room.

Breakfast was included in the price and we went down both days at 8:45 for breakfast finishing at 9 and found adequate choice left in the buffet (Japanese style: rice, soup, various vegetables, raw eggs etc. Western style: toasts, jam, butter, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, ...).

Location was convenient for the metro at Yushima and the yamamote JR line. I kept laughing thinking about the reviews which mention a "huge" hill. Come on! It's not a very steep gradient and it's very short.

Free internet in the lobby (free PC and wifi), that's always useful. Also good set of 1 page touristic flyer for each area of Tokyo. And guidebooks you can borrow. Super handy.

Only minus point: the corridor does smell a bit (of damp, or food, I'm not sure but it triggered my nausea!). That's why I rate it "very good" instead of "excellent".

Room tip: We had a Japanese style standard twin for 9'930 JPY (room 502 I believe)
Date of stay: August 2012