“Loved Hotel Sunroute Shinjuku”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 10 August 2008

It was a great stay. The hotel was conveniently located near Shinjuku station (we had a bit of problem finding it at first) but once out of the station, it was actually very easy to find the place.

We were given a corner room and when we entered the room, the floor was covered with tatami (wow!). The room came complete with surround sound system and also a big LCD TV.

The room was relatively large given that it is Japan we are talking about (where most hotel rooms are small). It was also meticulously clean, same for the bathroom. What impressed me was that the room came equipped with all the basic toiletries e.g. shower foam, facial form, shaving cream, shampoo and conditioner in big bottles and not mini packs like most hotels do =)))) - smells nice too.

Our room did not come with breakfast, thus no comments. Overall I would recommend to stay at Hotel Sunroute Shinjuku and would go back and stay again if I visit Tokyo next time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sgpaperclip
Write a ReviewReviews (5,019)

Reviewed 6 August 2008

read the reviews for this hotel and liked the sound of it, found a bargain on one of the travel websites and voila! the 5 nights spent in sunroute was definitely worth every cent.

what to like:

1) the proximity to the train station/citibank/takashimaya times square/macs/food.

i took down the directions left by other reviewers and it was really easy to locate the hotel. quite idiot proof actually.

2) the service

they speak passable English and were extremely helpful. they even helped my boyfriend translate "i am vegetarian" into japanese onto a piece of paper so it would be easier for us to order our food while we were there.

they were also very nice and prompt when we requested for additional pillows.

3) the cleanliness

the rooms are superb. well the semi-double room we were staying in was kinda on the small side, but we enjoyed it as it was really clean, and cleaned everyday we were there.

===

i'd definitely go back to the same hotel when i return to tokyo!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lazynesspersonified
Reviewed 2 August 2008

This is our first time visiting Toyko. I read the tripadvisor review and made the decision on this hotel. Overall, we like this hotel's location, clean room, courtesy staffs and best value (~$100 a night thru Expedia after 30% discount). This is a business hotel in Tokyo and they do not have much on facilities like gym, pools, garden etc. The room is average size (standard double)but enough for two people. The tripadvisor reviews provided excellent insight on the hotel location, direction and conditions before we got there. There are plenty of restaurants near the Shinjuku stations, which is the busiest in Toyko. The convenient stores (like 7/11) and few noodle shops nearby operate 7x24.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WCC128
Reviewed 1 August 2008

The airport limo bus dropped us of in front of the hotel after an hour drive from Narita. The main lobby is very modern. Of the many people available for check-in, I noticed only 2 people who could speak fluent English.

We had 2 rooms which were very clean and modern. Both rooms had ethernet cable for our laptops. There was a nice sized flat screen TV and a wide assortment of Japanese channels. There was a long desk along the window. This was also where the hot water pot, free tea, tea mugs, and mini refrigerator was located. My husband prefers coffee every morning so he bought a small jar of instant coffee at the 7-11 down the street.

My husband & I had the room with the double bed which was a little on the small side. It did not have a closet or dresser. There was a clothes rod hung by the door with a few hangers which I used. My husband lived out of his suitcase. We had brought two 21" suitcases, anything larger would have made the room difficult to navigate around.

My children (17, 20) had a room with 2 twin beds. Their room was a little larger and even had a small closet. I asked that their room be close to ours, & this was accomplished w/o any problems.

This hotel is in a great location just 5 min. from the south exit of Shinjuku station. There are a lot of restaurants and shopping "malls" like Takashimaya Times Square, Odakyu, and Keio. These places also have large food markets if you just want to have a meal or dessert in your room. (They'll provide you w/ eating utensils if you ask.) We spent our first night walking the vibrant restaurant alleys a couple of blocks from the hotel.

We paid $115 for the single and $140 for the double. We would definitely stay here again. The location, price and cleanliness of the room can't be beat .

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank onedogcity07
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I last stayed at the Sunroute about 10 years ago. It wasn't an especially good experience which is why I hadn't been back, but boy was I making a mistake. They've completely remodeled it and its far better than the hotel I stayed at. The room was typical size for Tokyo (very small), but the bed was quite comfortable (especially compared to the typical hard beds I'm used to in Japan), the furnishings in very good condition, the bathroom was spotless and in "like new" condition and the room had a 26" LCD TV with some HD channels. Free internet in the room (I used wired, but they might have wireless also). I didn't eat at any of the restaurants in the hotel. I paid only about $115 per night, which is great for Shinjuku. Only the Washington Hotel is cheaper and its no where near as nice.

The location is also very good. Its less than a 5 min. walk from the JR Shinjuku station (about the same distance to the Tokyo subway Yoyogi station) to the hotel, but the hotel is very quiet. I would call this a 3 star hotel, but a very nice one. Check-in was very fast and check out was only seconds since I'd pre-paid through Travelocity.

My only complaint is that the air conditioner controls are 100% Japanese so it was hard to figure anything out besides the temperature. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, but there appears to be different settings for "auto" and "always on" and others because sometimes it just stayed on forever even though the room was cold.

In comparison to other hotels I've stayed at in Shinjuku this is the best value by far. The Washington hotel rooms are smaller, older, and not as comfortable. The Prince Hotel rooms used to be more worn, but I hear they recently remodeled so maybe its OK but the location isn't as good. They charged for internet access the last time I stayed there and the price is slightly higher than the Sunroute. The Keio Plaza is very nice (bigger rooms, more English TV stations), but the price is about 2x the Sunroute.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank HiHoHiHoRDU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
JR Kyushu Hotel Blossom Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#14 of 87 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!