“Good location, 5 min walk to JR Shinjuku station south exit, near to shops”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I stayed here on 2 occasions last week during my trip to tokyo, 5 nights in a standard twin room and 1 night in an economy double room. The good: since I was staying so many nights in tokyo, I wanted a hotel near to the JR station. This is a 5 min walk to the south exit of JR Shinjuku station, and along the way there are convenience stores, restaurants and fast food outlets ( a 24 hour Macdonals just outside and a First Kitchen outlet round the corner). Every morning on my walk to the station I would go into the am/pm convenience shop opposite and buy my rice ball for breakfast.

Having stayed in both a standard and an economy room, I would reccomend the former. Not only is there more space, the toilet is much bigger. I'm 165 cm and the bathtub was deep and long enough for me to sit upright and stretch out my legs, whereas the toilet in the economy room was tiny and cramped! So glad that I only stayed in the economy room for one night, which looks like a tight squeeze for two people. I was alone, so it didn't matter much. Also, the toilet in the economy room had a slightly unpleasant smell, so I kept the toilet door closed. So if you are travelling in a pair and can afford it, I say pay the difference. I booked through hotel.de and paid 11,760 jpy/night for the standard room and 9,922 jpy for the economy room. I also managed to get the hotel to confirm a non-smoking room for me before I arrived.

The front desk speak decent english, but if you are confirming your accomodation or wish to book a non-smoking room before hand, I advise you to email instead of calling. Its much easier, and they replied within a few hours. Also, if you're travelling to another destination and want them to look after your bag, they can but apparently its only for a night if you don't have another reservation with them. The 2 computers in the lounge were useful, but as mentioned it can be a long wait if there are many people waiting. I usually drop by the lounge on my way out to top up my water bottle with the cold mineral water, useful in summer.

I chose this hotel based on a high reccomendation from my friend, and although the rooms are generally clean, I think the housekeeping could be more through. There were a number of hairs from the previous occupant when I checked into my economy room. I suppose this slightly spoiled my mostly positive impression of the hotel, but such things can't be helped. The toiletries are a nice touch, I especially liked the fragrance of the handwash (the shampoo, conditioner and body wash come in large pump bottles). One last thing, I didn't hear much noise in my hotel room, so the walls are pretty well soundproofed. It also helped that I turned on CNN (the only English channel) whenever I was in the hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank shopgal
Write a ReviewReviews (5,020)

Reviewed 24 August 2009

If you are sightseeing in Tokyo, you're pretty much spend your days outside of the hotel room right? So a super luxurious room wasn't really high on my list; convenience came first, second to helpfulness of the hotel staff and cleanliness of the rooms. I also figured cleanliness would not be an issue since this is Japan. I stayed here on three different occasions around June/July.

Location: This hotel is pretty [--] convenient. There's an airport shuttle that takes you from Narita right to the hotel. It is also about 2.5 blocks from the Shinjuku train station, so you can take the express train from Narita (or whatever JR train, or subway) to Shinjuku station. You exit the South East Terrace Exit, I believe, and when you walk out you can see KFC across the street, and further down Yoyogi street you can see a SunCourt Hotel sign (i think you need to walk to the intersection to see it). It's a fairly easy walk, just look at the map inside the train station, remember to learn how to use Japanese address system cuz it's totally not like the US postal system. If you take the Oedo subway line in, this is super easy: once you step off the train, go towards Exit A1, take the elevator up, follow the A1 exit signs out (you will be in the Maynards Building), which is RIGHT FREAKIN NEXT DOOR TO THE HOTEL. The Citibank is also in this building. We didn't realize when other people said its right at the entrance of the Oedo line, it really is RIGHT AT the entrance. It's nice cuz alot of the destinations u'd go on the Oedo line so you dont have to walk those few blocks to the crowded super station.

There is an AM/PM nearby, Lawsons in one of the smaller streets you'll pass by from Shinjuku station, cafe and lunch places/pub across the street. It's also walkable to the Tokyo Metropolitan Govt Building. I also love this location because you're so close to all the dept stores here. Tokyu hands, Takashiyama, Flags, Mylords, Lumine, Lumine2, Lumine Est, theres alot of places to shop. There's also a KFC and McDs along Yoyogi, across st from train station and 2.5 blocks away from hotel if you go north.

Staff and other helpful things the hotel has: There is a currency exchange machine that will rip you off. You're better off going to the Citibank ATM on ground level, or exchanging ur amex gift checks at the branch on the 9th or 11th floor of the building (and they have clean bathrooms up there). The hotel has a Tourist Destinations sheet that tells you what train/metro to take, and what station to get off at. This sheet is more accurate than the guide book and easier to bring around. Since you have several options to get to the airport, talk to the staff at the front and they can help you figure out which is best option depending on your flight time. If you need to book JR rail tix, and airport express trains, do it at the Ticket Office in Shinjuku train station. You can book limo shuttle at front desk. However, the front desk is NOT A CONCIERGE DESK (despite what some websites will say). We had to book a hut on Mt. Fuji and couldn't figure out how to use the phone system and the guy at the front desk REFUSED to help, REFUSED to call for us, even from our cell phone, and didn't want to call from the hotel phone. We ended up just calling from our hotel room (duh..) and it cost 40 cents for a 2 min. call. No biggie, but WTF man, If i was in an emergency, I would not be very happy with this service.

Hotel/Rooms: The hotel itself looks very modern, almost posh. There's an italian place downstairs, a cocktail place somewhere that charges $10-12 for a drink + service charge (uhhh..i'll go across the street..) and some massage thing. You can leave your suitcases with them, and they put it with all the other suitcases, and put this rope net over it. We had a standard double room the entire time, room was fairly small with not a lot of space to put all your crap, so I think it makes it hard for the cleaning staff to do anything when there's two suitcases and 2 backpacks in the room... I felt comfortable in the room, and slightly less comfortable in the bathroom. The bathrooms at all three different rooms I stayed at smelled of this sour sweat smell. I think this is because of how they have their tubs set up and where the water flows, but it ALWAYS SMELLS! I couldn't find anything actually dirty with the bathroom, (maybe the tub could have used some more scrubbing cuz it didnt feel smooth cuz of some soap scum) but pretty much it was the smell. Keep the bathroom door closed. Tiny bathroom, they always give you toothbrush+paste, shower cap, body sponge, shaver+cream. Sometimes my used toothbrush will be thrown away, other times it'll be sitting there. The staff also gave up "desanitizing" the hotel slippers after a while, which is really gross. I really wish they gave us disposable slippers like some of the other hotels. They also provide PJs.

I guess I sound really anal, but I'd still recommend staying in this hotel mainly it was one of the lowest priced hotels we could find, ~$100/night in the summer, and the convenience of the location (considering alot of surrounding hotels were $200+). The rooms are decent, just deal with the bathroom and you will be fine. It just feels great to exit the hotel and only walk to the building next door to get on the Oedo subway line. SO convenient.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tyao
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Spending 6 nights in the hotel, I did enjoy staying inside the room. I have been in Tokyo for so many times, this hotel room is not small. It had two single beds, 1 LCD TV, free Internet, a good size bathroom.
It's clean and comfortable, but the front desk, I don't know why, they were all lack of smile. It's okay but I expected a more warm welcome smile. (We are in Japan!).
And I did try the breakfast buffet once, it had so many option, Asian, Western, Japanese.
I can only say it's above average.
Location was the main reason that I picked this hotel. It's on the South side of the Shinjuku Station.
You can easily find a lot of eating places around the hotel, but I prefer to go to the East side of the Station.
In this price range, I do like to come back again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The hotel was nicely done up, with comfy and rather clean rooms. However, do not expect anything more than that. Service was terrible, with rude and haughty reception staff. We left our luggage at the hotel reception at 1pm as we were too early for check-in and came back at about 8pm to do the check in instead. The receptionist was rude and kept chasing us to clear our luggage from the store area even though my friends were still putting away their passports after check in. When we queried about the airport bus the next day, and was still deciding to take the 7am or 8am bus, the receptionist was obviously irritated and told us to come back when we have decided, but warned that there are only limited seats.
Cleaning of the room was done half-heartedly. While towels were changed and the beds remade, there was no attention paid to other details. For example, socks we left on the floor outside the wardrobe to air, were thrown onto our beds.
While it was a comfy and rather clean hotel to stay in, there was no heart in the service that was provided. It was not something you would expect from such a well-established hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We spent 4 nights here in a standard queen and a night in an economy double. The standard queen was a good size and even the economy double wasn't too small (although one side of the bed was against a wall). Staff were generally helpful although there was no possibility of checking in even slightly before the 2pm check-in time. English was generally limited but one or two staff spoke it well. Hotel was happy to keep our bags while we spent a night outside Tokyo.

We had breakfast in the hotel one morning and it was fairly decent - not great value but not dreadful either. There is a small guest lounge which includes 2 PCs with internet access - bedrooms have free wired internet access if you have a laptop with you.

Location wise the hotel is great - a short walk from Shinjuku station and 30 seconds from Shinjuku Metro station which has good connections to most of Tokyo (with a change here or there). AM/PM convenience store across the road and plenty of eateries within short walking distance. Major department stores are 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrnBruzer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
JR Kyushu Hotel Blossom Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#14 of 87 in Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!