“Fantastic spring dinner”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Yotsuya, Iidabashi
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Towards the end of our spring trip, we were back at Ishikawa. We had a booking for around 9pm, second seating. This time they called at 730pm to say our table was available. Got there after 8pm and began a wonderful 9 course kaiseki. Highlight of the dinner was monkfish liver with egg yoke sauce with firefly squid, black throat sea perch with bamboo shoots, flatfish with sea urchin from two different regions and thinly sliced Japanese beef with turnip covered with sticky sauce. Pics of most of the dishes attached. Accompanied with three rounds of cold sake. Feels like heaven.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

All the dishes of "Ishikawa" are really great.
There are many fine Japanese restaurants in the Japan, but there are few opportunities to meet these great dishes.
All of the dishes are simply refined, deep and delicate.
There are a lot of dishes finished up to 90%, but if you want to meet a 100% tasting dish, there is no better restaurant than "Ishikawa".
Mr. Ishikawa says that he will repeat the prototype dozens of times until the finished image of the dish.
He continues his genius and constant efforts in cooking.
The great thing about this place is that a number of young members are coming up.
Mr. Ishikawa says a joke, but seems to be an Oriental philosopher who pursues the truth.

Reservations are difficult, but don't miss out if you have the opportunity.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

Since I love Kohaku (their sister restaurant in Kagurazaka - the Chef of Kohaku was trained at Ishikawa) I was so looking forward to my dinner at Ishikawa.
Unfortunately I was not that impressed.
I could totally eat same quality food in Azabu and Ginza area with perhaps less money.
The service was excellent - but the food was nothing exceptional nor exciting. Maybe I'll give them one more shot, but if I could get a reservation at Kohaku, I would choose Kohaku with no second thought.

1  Thank forestwater1
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

We have been to Ishikawa on average about once a year for the past five years. This time was an extension of my birthday celebrations. It was a Monday night and the second booking slots from 9pm were also full. Chef Ishikawa doesn't seem to age, full of humour and great passion to create the best dishes for his guests. You can tell he has a great following. We had a fantastic kaiseki dinner as expected. We don't particularly fancy milt dishes (though in season in winter months) but his blowfish milt dish was good. Book early to avoid disappointment.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

This adorable place is tucked behind a temple in a residential area far far away from the tourist belt but well worth searching for as the total experience was awesome! The Chef and his staff were outstanding in their service and attention to details. The food was delightfully done with the freshest ingredients. I really enjoyed the snow crab covered with broth jelly, silver pomfret with ginkgo nuts, flatfish and fresh sea urchin , abalone sashimi , barracuda sushi, Japanese beef, rice and porridge combo and the dessert of grapes on black tea jelly floating on brandy soup. This three Michelin star place is very different from what I experienced in London and will appeal very much to those whose palate enjoy the delicate Japanese cuisine.

1  Thank drmikewong