“Tourist trap”

and up
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show Ticket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 【Recommendation】Robot Restaurant is a unique entertainment experience!Japanese culture meets robots and bring you to a new world of entertainment!Anyone from adults to children can come and enjoy our amazing show!(The show is approximately 90 mins.) Robot Restaurant is powering up by updateing our show program constantly. If you've been here before, please come and join us, because you can see a completely different show from half a year ago!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Robots in Japan in 2018? Not a chance. There are no robots. They could have had the same show back in the 30’s. The show might be suitable for kids. It’s odd to see adults watching this, and the sad thing is that we paid quite a bit.

The entire organization of this is focused on having enough breaks so that people can buy their expensive drinks.

Lost evening and money.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,654)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"fun night"
in 64 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was great entertainment! Highly recommended, light and fun to watch. More similar to watching a play, not purely robotic machines as I originally thought it was going to be. I would go back to watch this if I could, my children enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a must when in Tokyo. We booked our tickets online but it looked like you could buy there was well. It's pretty crazy right when you walk in. There's a bar area where you can buy some asahi or cocktails. I wouldn't recommend getting the dinner, I only saw two go by, you're much better off eating beforehand. There are at least three admissions where they trot out the rinks and souvenirs. The show itself was wild, loads of lights and very loud. We had front row seats. It was a very entertaining show and the performers were engaging. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Stephanie0988
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The quote from Anthony Bourdain led me to Tokyo's Shinjuku district and the famous (or infamous) Robot Restaurant. I purchased online (and saved 38%) - the ticket office is across the street from the Robot Restaurant and I was given my tickets without any problem. My wife and I entered the restaurant and was directed to their 3rd floor bar with a guitar player dressed up in a robot costumes playing some covers of songs I sort of recognized. We used our drink tickets - I noted the bartenders were giving some generous pours. When the time came, everyone walked down several flights of stairs to the basement theater with three rows of tables/chairs extending lengthwise on each side of the stage. Giant video screens lined the walls behind the audience. I paid a surcharge to sit in the front row, but frankly, pictures may be better from the second or third row - the show used every inch of the stage and even extended into the first row of tables (they actually demonstrated this before the show started).

Since Anthony Bourdain espouses going to places with the natives, not the tourist attractions it was ironic that of the 300 or so patrons in the audience, it was hard to see many asians, much less native Japanese.

The show lasted 90 minutes, divided into 5 sections with 3 intermissions (allowing bathroom breaks as well as drink/snack/souvenir purchases). The 4th and 5th parts were separated by a a brief break where you had to stay in your seats but could purchase drinks. Each "act" was short, only one had a "theme" - the Terminator story of artificial intelligence exterminating mankind. Food was served at the restaurant with servers swapping advance purchase food tickets with bento boxes or other options.

I would the describe the show as a Japanese version of Disney's Electric Light Parade. There really weren't any robots, just people in fancy electric costumes that looked like robots, as well as remotely controlled floats - tanks, boats, etc that you might imagine in a Transformers movie. Music was very loud! Video screens added to the sensory overload.

From what I see of the Youtube clips (and Bourdain's Parts Unknown), the current show has more of a G rating as far as costumes go. I would be most worried about the loudness than content for children, and the restaurant had noise suppression headphones for them.

I am guessing there three types of opinions about the show - 1. Loud, Obnoxious, and stupid, 2. Sensory overload but interesting insight into the culture that created it, 3. Zany, wild, and extremely entertaining. I am thinking the stiff drinks preshow added to the third opinion.

I liked the show but thought it fell short of expectations set by Anthony Bourdain. I will say that it is unlikely you will ever see anything like this show anywhere else!

4  Thank SeaMariner22