“A Good Healthy Sandwich ”
Review of banh mi Sandwich

banh mi Sandwich
Ranked #87 of 10,486 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

We've never been to Vietnam before and so can't compare to the real thing, but as we will be going soon we decided to get a taste of the legendary sandwich here in Tokyo. We were impressed. A tasty French baguette, crunchy on the outside but soft in the center, stuffed with flavorful meat and tangy vegetables. I had the Lemongrass Chicken while my wife had the Vegetarian. Even though it was just before 2 PM and after the usual lunchtime crowd, there was a line of 10 people when we left. A line in front of a restaurant in Tokyo is a sure sign of great food. There was nowhere to sit except for two benches outside, but nobody seemed to mind. We definitely will be back to get another healthy sandwich.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

This review is not based on food, but the fact that I visited them 3 times during their business hours, which is 11am-7pm. First time it was at 2:30pm on a Saturday and they were closed, the woman said in Japanese that I couldn't order, instead she tried to sell me cookies. Who eats cookies as an alternative to lunch? It was really weird because it was 2:30pm. I get that some places close between lunch and dinner, but they simply closed when their services says 11am-7pm.

The other visits were at 12:30pm and another was 1pm on Saturdays and the closed sign was up with the door closed. There were workers inside too. All I wanted to was to try their banh mi sandwich, but their hours are so unreliable. Got so frustrated I had to lay down and count to ten

I live in Tokyo and not far (Meguro Station) and this place is a little out of the way. I'm going to give up because each time I visit on a Saturday, I leave being super hungry and frustrated... and I end up get a Subway Sandwich ಠ_ಠ

4  Thank Tuan M
Reviewed 5 February 2015

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a tourist; I've been in Tokyo for 5 months and I'm a huge foodie. This place is in Takadanobaba, which is a bit off from Shinjuku/Harajuku/Shibuya area, but close by Ikebukuro (2 stops away). The sandwiches are about the same price as they are in the States (~550 yen for a regular; ~330 for a mini) and as far as I know, it's the only banh mi place in Tokyo. Vietnamese restaurants may of course serve them, but just like how I wouldn't order it from a Vietnamese restaurant in the States, I wouldn't do that here because a great banh mi needs a great bread, baked in-house. I got the original pork and it's not the same as the one I grew up eating (only from 1 banh mi place in Chicago), but pretty darn good. Be warned that there's always a line & even after ordering, there's a pretty good wait for the sandwich.

Reviewed 12 December 2014

When I heard there was a Bahn Mi shop in Takadanobaba, I had to go and see if it was any good. The appropriately named, Bahn Mi Sandwich shop did not disappoint.

We went on a trek out to Takadanobab on a Saturday morning. When we showed up just before noon, there was already a line of ten or so people. Luckily the staff moves quickly and orders are fast to arrive. There is no indoor seating and only a few benches outside that were full, so this isn’t the best time of year to check out the place. It wasn’t too cold so we grabbed our sandwiches and took a walk in the neighborhood until we found a place to sit down and enjoy them.

The menu is pretty simple. They offer five sandwiches: Vietnamese ham and pate, roast chicken, roast pork, roast beef, shrimp and avocado, and veggie and cheese. We tried the ham and pate, chicken and pork. All were served up fresh on a nicely crispy outside, soft on the inside baguette. The regular size sandwiches are all 550 yen and are a good size. Three was more than enough for the two of us. The meats were nicely flavored, pickles were crisp and the hint of spice and cilantro was just what we were looking for. You definitely want to eat your sandwiches quick before the juice from the pickles, sauces and meats turns the bread soggy. The pate was a bit overwhelmingly liver flavored at first, but it seemed to mellow out as we got used to it.

We also tried some of their baked sweet breads. All were fresh, delicious and a nice treat. We didn’t try their bagels, but will get some the next time we go.

You use a ticket machine to make your order, like many ramen shops, so that can be tricky without some guidance.

2  Thank valzebub
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice sandwiches but not the type of banh mi I was hoping for (I was looking forward to soy roast chicken, pork meatballs or the original pork terrine). I tried the roast pork banh mi which was nice, it hit the spot as the pork was nicely marinated with lemon grass but it still needed a sauce on top to give it an extra kick, but over all it was nice and cheap. Be sure to get there before 12:30 to avoid the lunch time crowd.