“Low Key Indian Restaurant”
Review of Andhra Kitchen

Andhra Kitchen
Ranked #140 of 4,482 Restaurants in Taito
Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Reviewed 12 December 2016

This restaurant located somewhat like in a basement is a gem for good food. Both the Indian lunch combo as well as specialty dishes like the Dosa are very good. The cook who comes out is very friendly and accommodating. This place is difficult to find but is well worth the visit. Be aware that during lunch time only they do not take credit cards.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Disappointed by service and food preparation. Ordered Paneer dosa, filling made of plain paneer and raw diced onions with a sprinkle of some masala. They should learn how to cook. Very very Bad!!!!

Reviewed 9 June 2016

Stunning, subtle flavors. Great service, and good prices. I am so glad to have stumbled upon Andhra. One of the finest Indian food experiences I have had in my life!

Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

Delicious South Indian cuisine....not a typical Indian curry shop but you can get it if you want....it specializes in South Indian food and believe me it's authentic South Indian...delicious

1  Thank jharydhary
Reviewed 7 May 2016

This place was a major disappointment. After reading all the great reviews on TA, Japanese restaurant review sites and a dedicated curry blog which proclaimed this place to be the best in the Tokyo area, Andhra was a huge letdown. I’d read that the head chef had left, but I cannot confirm that.

I’d had a bad feeling that this Indian place might have been past in heyday when I saw that their website was no longer active. In fact, I’d thought they went out of business so I called them before going. I went there for lunch and the atmosphere of the place was rank with anxiety. There was one guy, not sure if he was Japanese or Indian, who seating and bussing tables. He was extremely curt with us and he spoke strange Japanese. I’m not really sure what the deal with him was. He did not exude an air of quality customer service, that’s for sure.

What you can order for lunch seems to have been pared down. I guess they used to serve biryani rice on the weekends, but they don’t do that for lunch any more. I ordered the tandoor set, where it clearly states that you can choose any curry on the menu. NOPE! You now get the choice of 3 very generic curries (chicken/mutton/vegetable). I ordered the mutton and it was a sad excuse for it could have been. Sure there was plenty of mutton in the curry, but it didn’t seem like the high quality meat, nor was it cooked well. The naan was ok, but it was nothing special. It had no real flavor to it. It was just bread and adequate for soaking up curry. Of the top of my head I can think of a dozen places in Tokyo that have better naan. There was also chicken tika in my set. This had flashes of brilliance in it. Too bad they came out cold. It was the best part of the meal.

I had asked for my curry to be spicy, which they couldn’t be bothered to do and told me that when I asked. This circles back to my earlier comment about the curry being generic. Certainly it is not made to order. The waiter couldn’t even be bothered to bring spice out for me.

We also got the fish set. That came with rice and soup. The shrimp curry was loaded with shrimp, just like my mutton curry. There was some chutney on the side that was pretty amazing. The fish was passable, but the curry was very thin and weak.

The sets were priced around 1,500yen. In my opinion, they are very overpriced. They don’t come with a salad, drink or dessert. Most Indian places do all that, plus all you eat naan or rice, and for far less money. If the curry was good, I could see paying this, but the quality is not there.

On the limited plus side, there is English on the menu, thought I don’t hear the staff speak any. It also appears to be non-smoking, which is nice. They also have some vegetarian options.

Andhra might have been good at one time, but now it’s not worth it. To my surprise, I saw many people coming and going. The place has steady business, which boggles the mind. Is this from past accolades? Quite possibly. Clearly they are not trying very hard these days. If they were, there would be pushing better curries.

Skip this place like your life depended on it.