eDreams
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
Vio.com
Priceline
All reviews fresh eggs wonderful woman surrounded by trees forest retreat would highly recommend staying here get away cedar song hummingbirds bc fireplace deck
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 August 2022

This summer my husband and I had booked a few days at Cedar Song B&B and cottage. We were met by Anneke and immediately felt at home. Staying at Cedar Song is more like visiting a close relative than staying at a B&B. Anneke was the perfect host, offering amazingly refreshing drinks and cooking the most wonderful, absolutely spectacular breakfasts. Anneke offered suggestions on what to do during the day and the many sights to see. When we returned, we were met with refreshments, snacks, and of course her loving personality and hospitality.
We would both highly recommend Anneke and the Cedar Song B&B for anyone staying on the Island. We will definitely be back and look forward to our return stay at Cedar Song B&B.
Star and Kelly

Date of stay: August 2022
Anneke Van Vugt, Owner at Cedar Song B&B and Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2022

Kelly and Star, your words make me blush, but indeed, you quickly became like family! I love that about our guests; when they feel relaxed and at home. It was hard to say goodbye, as it was so easy to connect with you. Thank you for touching my heart too, sharing joy and laughter. It feels good. Stay healthy and come back soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2022 via mobile

It was fantastic, the breakfast is more like a brunch. You can relax in the garden. Anneke is a wonderful woman. She bought an aircondition before we arrived.
She takes so much care about her guest. Is very worth to stay there, it is very familiar.

Room tip: ASK Anneke
Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Anneke Van Vugt, Owner at Cedar Song B&B and Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2022

Thank you for your feedback. What a good time we had indeed. We do love taking care of our guests and happy that we can provide a cozy place in the winter and cooler rooms in the summer. Stay healthy and stay in touch.

Reviewed 11 July 2022 via mobile

My wife and I had a great stay at Cedar Song. Anneke was very attentive. The property is beautiful and peaceful. Our accommodation was very nice. Our breakfasts and snacks were delicious. A bit of Dutch charm at this B & B. We would highly recommend staying here.

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Anneke Van Vugt, Owner at Cedar Song B&B and Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2022

Thank you Doug for writing this review. . It was a true pleasure to meet you both. Creating memories, exploring the area and sharing you appreciation, it was delightful. Thank you. We are looking forward to you next visit.

Reviewed 24 October 2021

If you want to stay in a lovely cozy place with a host whose gentle warmth rivals that of the real wood fireplace she has in the house, stay here. The location is very accessible at only 10-15 mins drive away from Parksville and Coombs, but entering into the area is like visiting an enchanted forest in another universe. It is a quiet, serene place and a wonderful place to escape to if you want to inject a bit of peace and tranquility in your life.

Upon arrival, our host Anneke had afternoon tea ready for us with homemade apple strudel that she baked fresh for us. We stayed in the spacious family room that had two beds and overlooked the beautiful property from the second floor. Inside it had everything needed to make your stay comfortable: plush beds with multiple pillows, a dining table, an arm chair to read from, mini fridge, microwave, dishware and cutlery, wifi, etc. Outside, you are surrounded by a forested area, where the only thing we could hear if we paid attention to it is the soothing babbling of the small fountain by the patio.

I haven’t even gotten to the best part yet — good lord are the breakfasts here EPIC. As a serious foodie, this isn’t something I take lightly. Anneke is modest about it but I swear, she must have been some sort of professional chef in a past life or something because each meal we had with her was amazing. Her massive cheese soufflé’ with its beautiful golden puff is probably something that will be forever etched into my memory. And it’s not all just show and spark, there’s real heart into what she prepares — it’s like as if your mother made you all of your favourite foods and laid them out in a celebratory fashion as if it was Christmas or something, and you knew she put in 110% effort to make it extra special. Come with an appetite because she will feed you, there was more than we could consume, some of which turned into snacks for us during our travels later.

The eggs from brekkie can’t be any fresher — there are hens that roam about that Anneke keeps and the most curious thing to me, as someone who does not get to see fowl life often, is how joyful and happy they are to see her when she comes outside. They run to Anneke with the same kind of gleeful enthusiasm as a puppy when you return home. When you see how much care she puts into raising them though, it all makes sense. It was so magical to me watching Anneke call them into the hen house to put them in bed, she even sang a sweet little lullaby to get them ready to sleep. There were also two wild rabbits that hung around daily and watching them happily munching away on the grass there was a joy too.

I can’t say enough good things about Anneke. She is a clever intellect who has lived in many parts of the world and conversations with her were easy and can also run deep. Her wealth of stories drawn from her personal experience made me feel really connected to her in the short time we had with each other. She was a great listener as she was a great conversationalist and everyone in my family enjoyed her presence.

I know some people see accommodations as a place to sleep only, but genuinely, you can make Cedar Song your vacation destination and truly it would be time well spent. Being with Anneke was a real highlight for us and my family is already talking about when we might be able to visit her again.

Room tip: The family room is a new addition and can be reserved over the phone. It fit 3 adults comfortably.
Date of stay: October 2021
Anneke Van Vugt, Owner at Cedar Song B&B and Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2021

Dear E.
Thank you for your time to post such a "glory review". I truly enjoyed reading it. It was a pleasure to see you all having all a good time while settling in around the wood fire place. I am the lucky one too. The joy of nature's plethora of gifts, the peace and tranquility here are the elements, that taps into the creative mind. However, above all, I appreciate the uniqueness that each person brings to our home.
Thank you. It was a delight and honor to be your host. I can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed 12 September 2021

We were a crew of 4 blue collar guys working a 10-day stint in Port Alberni. We happened upon Cedar Song online during our search for hotels and thought that a lengthy work trip deserved more than the usual hotel room treatment. We weren't expecting much, but wow, we were blown away by the honesty, compassion, and adaptability of the host, Anneke.

We were working 12hr rotating shifts, and Anneke made the effort to send our morning shifts guys away with fresh coffee and a packed breakfast, while our night shift crew enjoyed a peaceful sleep during the day. We certainly weren't the typical B&B guests, but Anneke made the effort to be a gracious host, and in turn our time there felt like that of a week at our long lost grandmother's.

Her property is expansive, heavily wooded, offering near total privacy in the late hours to sit on the patio and enjoy the sounds of nature. A recently built chicken coup initially had us worried about cawing roosters at the crack of dawn, but there was just the curious clucking of hens and fresh eggs on the menu every day.

Each room has a mini-fridge, sink, and an assortment of cutlery, enough for a late night snack or similar. It's expected you'll spend the day exploring the surroundings and sampling the various dinner menus at restaurants in the area. Cedar Song is a wonderful base to plan your excursions and exploration of lower Vancouver island.

As a host, Anneke simply can't be beat. A worldly traveller, her experiences and stories are enough to entertain the most travelled of visitors, and she shares her experiences openly and without filter. If the house is Cedar Song, then Anneke is the chorus.

Our time there was brief and unfortunately marred by an uncooperative work schedule, but our whole crew agrees that given the opportunity to return to the area, we will be staying with Anneke at Cedar Song.

Thank you for a lovely time, and I hope we see each other again soon!

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
Anneke Van Vugt, Owner at Cedar Song B&B and Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2021

Hi Guys, WOW. It is humbling to read this accolade in such detail. Thank you for all your kind words. The pleasure was totally mine. I am glad you choose to stay here, even if it meant you had to travel 45 min each way to work. It was fun to experience so much laughter. Everyone was respectful and very appreciative. Some guests like to make a light evening meal in their own room, They enjoy eating in the yard or on the deck or have a glass of wine. I will never forget the food you all brought home the first night. It was out of this world! And for a change, I was the recipient. Thanks Nath, you are a wonderful gourmet cook and Kyle a great BBQ expert. Those mega steaks were perfectly cooked. Mike liked the hammock, and the Ontario guys loved sitting outside on the deck or the covered porch to unwind from work and relax. It is indeed very quiet here. NO rooster and we keep it that way. I can't wait to welcome you back again!