Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$33
US$74
US$103
US$83
US$71
The Village Bunaken(Bunaken Island)
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdive resortgreat divinglocal fooddive guideterryequipmentislandturtlesfanmealsboatpowerstoriessafetymaintenancewakemarine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I booked my stay with See Breeze through Booking.com and immediately sent an email to the resort to received information regarding their package. After one week, no answer. Before the arrival date, I sent another email asking them if there was a pick up service at the harbour. No answer. When I arrived their, nobody could explain anything about the packages in English and were more focused on the booking on b.com than in my questions about the packages. "sorry, the boss didn't forward us the email and he is not available"... ( for one week!) In the end I have paid 500000Rp to be fair and to respect the rules and moved to another place where people were more polite, smart and interested in diving. Worst service ever though I have been travelling from hostels to hostels in Asia for the last 3 months.

Stayed: October 2017
5  Thank Anitacarpentier
Terry B, Manager at Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Hello Anne,

All I see here that is actually true is the fact that you booked your 2 night stay with us via booking.com.
I should completely ignore your comments and have a little grin because I'm certain people reading this will do the same. However in this instance I will cover facts which are able to be verified.

You made your booking with booking.com on the 2nd of October which was 4 days before your check in date.
As I'm the only person who opens, checks and replies to our company Emails I can verify that you had not sent an Email to our company Email address any time between 2nd and 6th October. Our Inbox and Spam folder have both been thoroughly checked. The obvious question which comes to mind is why send one Email to our company Email address immediately after booking with booking.com when the page you are on at the time of booking allows you to simply send a message to the resort or hotel, and then a message 4 days later via the booking.com Website and just 3 hours and 15 minutes before you arrived at Seabreeze asking about whether we have a pick up service and mentioning something about a dive/accommodation package after already booking your accommodation with booking.com? To see these dive/accommodation packages you would have to have gone to our Website, but you might also have noticed that they do state dive/accommodation packages and how could you have booked one of these when you already booked your accommodation via booking.com? As our dive/accommodation packages are for guests diving a minimum of 3 days you might want to ask how you could make 3 days of diving with a 2 night stay, unless of course you had given yourself the chance to experience Seabreeze and enjoyed it so much that you extended your stay. Incidentally the number of days between 2nd of Oct when you wrote that you sent an Email to us immediately after booking your accommodation and the 6th of Oct is only 4 days not 1 week as you stated in your fictitious story above. Fortunately I don't have time to sit staring at a screen just in case an Email arrives a few hours before check in time requesting pick up from airport to Manado City and then with boat to Bunaken Island, because we are doing what we do best which is ensure our guests get the best from their holiday, and this means things like diving together, sharing meals and fun times together, and ensuring all services and facilities are the best they can be. Most of the time I answer Emails within 8 to 24 hours and any reasonable person would at least send an inquiry for arrival transfer a couple of days before arrival. In the event guests make last minute bookings and require airport pick up and boat service to Bunaken they almost always use one of our telephone numbers for this purpose, or even an SMS to one of our advertised mobile phone numbers on our Website which are also numbers provided by booking.com when guests have made their booking : )

The person who you were not speaking with, but arguing with to cancel your reserved bungalow with us was my wife Diana who speaks far better English than you, is not abusive and whom is a professional who worked for Singapore Airlines for 8 years, and is General Manager of Seabreeze. The other person who you were constantly rude to was our Indonesian office supervisor, and he and my wife were more than justified charging you for one of the two nights you had booked with us considering we reserved the bungalow for you in a very busy period, and above all it is common decency and ethical.

Now I'll inform you of what I believe as I heard some information from a staff member who is a friend of a staff member of where you ended up staying. You met someone or had contact with someone staying at a cheaper place, or someone informed you about the place you stayed at when you were on the public boat or shortly after getting off the boat. You wanted to stay there because it was cheaper and/or the person you met or had some communication with was there. I know as a former backpacker if I'm traveling for 3 months I try to do it on a budget, so BEFORE I book a mid range resort with good quality of service, meals, dive boats, dive equipment, bungalows, atmosphere, and professional team, I would definitely question whether I should go for this or something in a more economical range. If I had made the error and booked something a little higher range than my budget I certainly wouldn't arrive at this resort and become abusive in hopes that the management will just say, "that's okay Anne we understand", because I would realize I had made the error in the decision making process; not the staff of the resort, and simply would make the most of my time there. A worse scenario ethically and morally would be to try to cancel a booking to stay at a resort or home-stay with aggression and abuse because of learning of another resort or home-stay which is cheaper and/or has a person staying there whom I had contact with.

As for the boss who is not there for ONE WEEK, you were speaking to her and is the General Manager. I'm the dive manager and was servicing Scuba regulators at the time. BTW the fact is as most people know, which is we can't just arrive at our booked accommodation through booking.com and cancel it, and if we listen to people trying to explain that it is not possible to book an accommodation/diving package when we already have our accommodation booked via another booking service. You might see the logic in this information Anne. Anyway shame things turned out the way they did because who knows you may have enjoyed your stay with us, and maybe not because we realize that no single resort/hotel/home-stay is ideal for all, but we do try to ensure it's the best for the most.

Not sure though how anyone could state the worst service ever based on a 10 to 15 minutes of one sided verbal aggression. Perhaps if stopping for a moment a person might notice that the other person was trying to discuss matters and in perfect English!

Terry
Dive center manager

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Excellent for diving and snorkeling! Terry is a great host and a great dive instructor. Very friendly and helpful staff. Wake up early in the morning and do the dolphin tour. Don't expect any luxury and you will have the time of your life.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Terry B, Manager at Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Thanks Monique, Marcel, Viggo & Scott for letting the TA community know of your experience with us, and we had the same experience with you guys. I enjoyed running the Advanced Open Water course very much with Viggo and Scott.

See you all for some more diving and maybe a specialty course hey : )

Health, happiness & success for 2018 guys

Reviewed 21 July 2017

We stayed for a full week, mostly diving and eating! It was a great experience. The diving was superb and the resort is really cute, it feels a bit Robinson Crusoe which I loved. The guides were great, food and service also. We also did a day on the boat with the owner, Terry. Most of the other guests were all serious divers and a couple of marine biologists so I learnt a lot! Bunaken is a divers paradise but not so much to do for non-divers, please bear this in mind!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Terry B, Manager at Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Hi from sunny Bunaken Alice,

Thanks for this nice review and we're always happiest when we learn that our guests have had the best possible time with us.
Maybe see you guys again at some time in the future ; )

Greetings from me and our team,

Terry

Reviewed 5 July 2017

The location is among the best on the Island, but the resort seems a little bit rundown. Our toilette or shower did not work most of the time.
The dive equipment must be like 15 year old.
Food was not bad but quite tasteless.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank karinafson
Terry B, Manager at Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

I guess I missed this review, but we remember well the truth of why you wrote such a poor and unbelievable review.
Strangest comment of all is regarding 15 year old equipment, because just 3 days ago we had a German couple named Christian & Angelika check out to stay at a pre-booked resort on another nearby island and are returning today 13 Oct to join us again before returning to Germany, as they had such a great time with us. They are experienced divers who have dived many places in the world, and because they mix their activities on their vacations they choose not to take their own equipment and their comment just before checking out on the 10th was that our PADI 5 Star dive operation, equipment, guides and facilities was the best they had experienced on any of their dive vacations. They left a written review with our office and if you would like to verify this I would be happy to provide Christian & Angelika's Email address after getting the okay from them. Alternatively call the resort between 10 and 14 Oct and you could speak to them yourself. Anyway I think enough coverage here and for anyone reading this actual truth regarding our dive center will easily see through the rest of your comments. Seems there are unreasonable people who like to take the time and trouble to use Trip Advisor platform to slander companies by false statements rather than constructive, but realistic criticism. All resorts and hotels including high end accommodation have excellent, good, average and poor attributes, but like us they too are always working to improve, and appreciate constructive criticism from guests who are not being unjustly destructive.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

The main reason for my trip to Bunaken was to dive, so I did, and a lot. Thrice a day and it was amazing, so rich and diverse, can't recommend enough! The local guides were great and knowledgeable but not with the highest safety standard for a dive resort.
Booking..... I booked via booking.com and everything went fine. Got confirmation and the airport pickup went as planned. Food and Room.... the food was simple and nice, but a little bit more options would be nice. I found the room very basic, the bathroom could do with some upgrades. When I first arrived my sink and shower were not working properly, they changed me to another room. I found the resort a little be abandoned to be very honest, with lack of maintenance and could do with some upgrade.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo