US$131
US$102
US$92
US$34
Agoda.com
Casabaio Paradise Resort(North Sulawesi)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$55
K2 Dive Resort(Pulau Lembeh)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsan hour's driveclean towelslunch and dinnerclamsdive sitesmuck divingrobertobasinbayairportcreaturesresortguestsboatphotoslembeh
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent 8 nights at Kalinaun during december/january 2013/14, we choosed to stay there due to the location (in between Bangka and Lembeh) the personalized service and the reviews on TA

Location: 9/10
The resort is located in a very beautiful bay, the dive sites (Lembeh and Bangka) are approx 20 min away with the speedboat. You can also dive in the bay which offers some great locations.
It will take approx 1 hour from the airport to the resort, add 20 min from Manado city

Resort: 9/10
The resort is spread over a big garden with 4 cottages, the cottages are very big with full sea view. They offer hot shower, a lot of electric plugs, A/C and fridge.
Outside them there are 2 sun beds, every morning you will find 2 clean towels to be used on the beach together with a picture of a nudibranch wishing you a good day.

Restaurant: 10/10
There is plenty of food, even too much and the quality is very high. They name their own bread every morning together with cakes and biscuits.
You can choose what you want from the menu, where you will find italian, indonesian and international dishes. We tried a bit of everything and were always satisfied with the food (must try the fish and chips)

Diving: 10/10
It was the first time for us diving in Lembeh and we were afraid to get bored after a couple of days, this was not the case as Alessandro (one of the owners) always spotted strange animals which attracted our attention. The dives lasted approx 65 min where you will dive at your own pace, usually there is 1 guide every 2 guests. After the dive you will have a snack on the boat and get ready for the next one.

If you are a photographer they will provide a box where you can store your camera during the day on the boat, they will bring the box back in the room at the end of the day. The box is very useful as it can be used to was the camera in the designated basin

The boats are very fast and comfortable, even with the rain. They will provided towels directly on the boat so you don't need to bring them. Food for the day trip was rich and well diversified and we never got bored

We always used Nitrox in order to be able to stay longer

We have been able to see: Mimic octopus, Hairy frogfish, Ghost pipe fish, Pigmy seahorse, Coleman Shirmps, Ambon Scorpionfish, Flamboyant cuttlefish and many others

We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed for 3 nights before end of Nov 2013. The resort is located about an hour's drive from airport. The compound of the resort is very big! Situated right at the beach, with 4 villas, it is a perfect setting for a quiet getaway. The villa is big and clean. Food is very delicious and serving is generous! So if you eat very little, good to mention it while ordering. Lunch and dinner is ordered during breakfast and lunch respectively. Wide variety for selection, Italian or local dishes. Must have for my return trip is fish & chips!
Ok, on to diving. Must say, the guides are very professional and very good at spotting sub 1 cm stuff. I reckon their masks must have some super zoom lens built-in :) Usually 2 dives in the morning, back for lunch and off to 3rd and/or 4th dive.
On the whole, it was a very relaxing trip. Highly recommended for a visit if you are looking for a quiet getaway! Great resort!
Thanks to all at Kalinaun Resort for making my stay a pleasant and memorable one!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed at the resort 3 nights over the weekend. Browsing TA I had found the reviews very interesting due to the fact that the resort appeared not to be spoilt by hordes of tourists, this being driven by the size of the place (4 bungalows) and the slightly inconvenient location (3.5 hours flight from Jakarta then 1.5 hour drive). I started corresponding with Roberto, the elder brother who manages the resort along with Alessandro. Roberto has lived in the country for 6 years and married a sweet local woman, Olivia, who assists him in running the business. My interest is snorkeling and I was concerned that this particular area of North Sulawesi wasn't the right spot for me since it's called home by the muck divers, being Bangka island and particularly Lembeh strait two top diving sites for people fond of that speciality. Roberto reassured me by committing to taking me around to check out a few nice spots for snorkelers like me. He was also very reactive in responding to my questions via email and always very transparent about pricing and terms & conditions. I'm glad that I eventually decided to go as it was a lot of fun as well as an enriching human experience. I had the privilege to be the only guest over the weekend and I got pampered by all the staff: Olivia, Ayu (very talented in blending the local food specialities with Italian classics), Gina, Raldi and Fandi (both taking care of the diving boat). The bungalows are roomy, clean and all overlooking the small bay in front of the resort, which neighbores the Kalinaun village joyfully populated by the local community. Even the full day we spent out in the islands was special as Roberto knows very well the area and he took me to 3 different spots that were gorgeous, rich in coral formations and with a high diversity of creatures. The day on the boat was enjoyable and I was looked after by the entire crew. Pricing-wise Kalinaun proposal is very competitive and I'd say that it positions itself a t the very high end of the value-for-money ranking. When Roberto, Olivia and Ayu drove me back to Manado airport in the middle of the night on the departure date, it felt like living a great experience and bidding farewell to new friends. Highly recommended to snorkelers, divers and anybody who wants to have a great time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank stefanofior
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We spent there with my family of three small kids for five nights. The resort is just at the beach, so we don't have take a car. Also, the waves are so gentle and the water depth is very shallow, 50 cm, so we don't have to watch kids so carefully. Kalinaun is the only villa at this beach. So very quite and clean, only sound of waves. Also, this is a small resort that has only four bungalows. Outside of the villa is local village., no restaurant. so we worried about foods if they are bad, then we're stuck.

This villa is managed by Italian families. They cook Italian foods, which were delicious and plentiful! They tasted like home made foods. The bungalow is clean and well maintained. The hot and cold water works well. We did only snorkeling and played at the beach, collecting shells, catch baby crabs. The guide and boat services were very good. We did it twice a day. There were many diving and snorkeling sites close to the villa. The qualities of coral and fishes were better than Gili Trawangan, Lombok.

The price of the lodges include everything - room, food, snorkeling. So we didn't have to book or deal for the boat booking.

We've been traveling in Indonesia starting from Bali, Lombok, Manado. So far Kalinaun resort is the best one even though it was not the luxurious villa we stayed at Bali.

I strongly recommend this resort for your valuable vacation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank PetitPalois
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Both my husband and I are from Singapore and due to the good reviews of Kalinaun Resort in Tripadvisor, we decided to give it a try. And true enough, we didn't have any complains about the resort, its service and food. Overall, my husband and I had a very relaxing 4 days at the resort. We are not avid divers but still managed to do 1 dive nearby (by my husband). We decided to give all other activities in Manado, a miss, as we couldn't bear to leave the serene surroundings of Kalinaun Resort. We hung around the beach, swam in the clear waters and interacted with the friendly service staffs.

Food was great...tasty and generous! They used quality ingredients to prepare the food and mostly unprocessed. We enjoyed the meals very much!

We have stayed in luxurious hotels/resorts before and Kalinaun Resort may not be the most luxurious resort, but it does provides a great quality stay with rustic surroundings. You'll need to have a relax attitude before you can totally take in the greatness of nature at Kalinaun.

Great job to Allesandro, Olivia, Ayu and Rauli! We were well taken care of by you guys!

All our best,