All reviews tennis courts leisure centre pulse bar golf break gym and swimming pool steam room ground floor round of golf car park a bit tired pleasant stay wedding venue two night stay stayed here for one night following morning comfy bed essex
Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

evening meal.. overnight stay... breakfast... treatment and use of all facilities excellent value for money. wiĺ definately go back.. no fridges or bottled water in rooms which was only issue really...

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
TheEssex, Manager at Essex Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Good Afternoon Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Booked a one night DBB two rounds of golf deal through YGT over a Saturday night. On arrival the Pro came out to meet us in reception and explained everything golf. The course is hugely long especially for ladies but in great condition and a very good challenge. Checkin was very easy and the Staff throughout the venue were lovely friendly and very helpful. We had a room on the upper floor of the Lodge with great views over the golf course. The room was clean quiet and very comfortable with a fab shower! The menu in the Cafe is relatively simple (i.e. Fish & Chips, Spag Bol, Sausage & Mash etc) but extensive and the food very good. All in all an excellent venue for a short golf break and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floor of the Lodge overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank LollyT
TheEssex, Manager at Essex Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Good Afternoon
Thank You for taking the time to review your stay, it's great to hear that our team welcomed you throughout your time with us!
We are very pleased that you enjoyed the course and facilities here and hope to welcome you back to The Essex Golf & Country Club in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

The Essex is a nice enough hotel but after booking a spa treatment for my sister in law as a pre baby treat and some extra r&r, their whole weekend was ruined. Incompetent staff told them to wait to be called in for thiere treatment and 45 minutes later finally remembered them.
However they then explained that there wasn't enough time for the treat ment so would need to cut short!! Hardly the idea, when asked why they said because they were late!! Late - no forgotten about.
Very poor service Aura - disorganised and ruined thier weekend away just because they forgot. Disappointing to say the least.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anita H
TheEssex, Manager at Essex Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, i'm sorry to hear that your sister in law was unhappy with her experience here.

I understand that our spa therapist from Aura has been in touch to try and rectify the situation with you, so i would just like to address the points that you have made.

Upon arrival at our main hotel reception, all spa guests are directed to the spa reception to check in for their treatments.

Our spa is located via the tennis lounge then through a set of double doors towards the back of the lounge.

I understand that your sister in laws treatment was booked in at the spa for 1:30pm, and as she had not arrived by 1:40pm our spa therapist tried to get in contact with her via the phone number provided.
Unfortunately the phone number provided was for yourself and not your sister in law so our spa therapist made her way to the main reception to try and locate your sister in law.

Upon entering the tennis lounge, the spa therapist found your sister in law and her partner waiting there rather than in the spa reception as directed.

As 15 minutes had now passed since the treatment was due to begin at 1:30pm, the spa therapist advised your sister in law that she would be more than happy to carry out the treatment but that she now would'nt be able to do so for the full treatment time as she had another client booked in straight afterwards.

As an alternative to that option, the spa therapist offered to book your sister in law in to come back and have the full treatment at a convenient time, to which your sister in law agreed and the treatment was rebooked for next month.

I would like to apologise for the confusion as to where to the spa reception was.

We look forward to welcoming your sister in law back for her treatment next month.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights due to a family wedding.On arrival we were made to feel welcome and Amy was professional and helpful.We ate at the restaurant that evevning and were rather concerned when the bar staff did not ask for our signature when presenting us with the bills, even more so when they nearly added another tables drinks bills to ours, due to not checking. Or asking for a signature. A similar issue occurred with an extra cooked breakfast being added to our room which was not ordered or eaten.
These issues seemed to arise from poor communication between staff and different departments.
A shame because things started so well.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank DMRN22

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

It's great to hear that you were made to feel welcome during your time here!

We are always looking for ways to improve the service we give to our guests, so we welcome your feedback regarding the restaurant.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a night, I travel a lot for work and am always looking for reasonably priced but comfy hotels as I stay out about 120 nights a year
So I turn up at the hotel all good made my way to my room to be greeted by a time warp back to 1985. The place was clean but dated. The Corby trouser press I found a particularly lovely touch very in keeping with the retro feel of the place. The pictures of Pat Cash and other sports stars from the 80's that adorned the corridors another nice touch. I half expected my room to have a name along the lines of "The Fatima Whitbread Suite"

After a 240 mile drive I was ready for some dinner so I made my way to the "restaurant" as the receptionist called it
Really it's a cafe with a bar and in fairness that's what they name it.

The menu was limited to 1995 when the "gourmet burger" became available
Gammon steak it was with the usual trimmings of eggs, chips and peas, it was cooked ok and surprisingly good

Back to the room to watch the 18" square TV and squint for an hour at the incredibly small screen.

The walls between the rooms are really thin I could hear the lady in the next room as clear as a bell on the phone to her daughter

A good night sleep and the bed was comfy but we all have our own bed preference, I didn't bother with breakfast as I had an early meeting but on leaving my room I did find the bags of laundry in front of the fire exit rather alarming,the management need to get a firm grip of that immediately

Would I stay here again? Probably not; well maybe if I was desperate and paid no more that £40. This place needs some serious investment. It has the potential to be a go to place but is lacking in modern touches and is rather shabby but sort of has its own charm

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business